1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

hey the meta name="revisit-after" content="1 days" command

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by linksharp, Jun 22, 2005.

Is it a good idea to use this.
    I dont really notice anything that its really doing does this really make the bot come come back everyday.
    if so is there a way to get it to come back a set hours.

linksharp, Jun 22, 2005 IP
  2. tflight

tflight Peon

Best Answers:
    I've never seen any evidence that it does much of anything. You may want to look into the Google Sitemaps where you can specify how often each page is likely to change. That *might* have an impact on how often Googlebot comes along.

The key to keeping Googlebot coming back often (and other bots) is to update content often. They will keep trying to come back as often as they see content changing.

tflight, Jun 22, 2005 IP
  3. bigdoug

bigdoug Peon

Best Answers:
    Google completely ignores that command

bigdoug, Jun 22, 2005 IP
  4. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    For bots that DO read that tag, if there are any left, it is NOT an instruction to return. Rather, it is an instruction NOT to return unless X days have passed -- i.e., it is a LIMITER, not an enhancer.

So if yours says name="revisit-after" content="14 days", that won't be read as an instruction to return every 2 weeks but rather as an instruction to go away if it hasn't been 2 weeks since the last visit.

minstrel, Jun 22, 2005 IP
  5. linksharp

linksharp Peon

Best Answers:
    How are they finding out about the new content or how often the content is being being made if the bot isnt there.
    thats something i need to know.

you said if you use new content the bots will come more.
    how do they know if you update more then not.

linksharp, Jun 22, 2005 IP
  6. minstrel

Best Answers:
    minstrel, Jun 22, 2005 IP
  7. clasione

clasione Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Ditto ---- worthless meta tag....

clasione, Jun 22, 2005 IP
  8. tflight

tflight Peon

Best Answers:
    This is purely speculation on my part, but here is my best guess how it works. A bot comes to your site for the first time and looks at a page. It comes back again after a certain designated time (whatever that may be, let's say it is one week.) and looks at the page again.

If it notices your page has changed since the last time it came it will lower the amount of time before it comes back again (maybe to 3 days). If it notices your content hasn't changed then it might increase the amount of time before it comes back again (may to two weeks).

As I think I mentioned before if you use the Google sitemaps feature you *might* have more control over how often your pages are indexed since you can specifically tell them how often a page is likely to be crawled.

But I think the bottom line is I've found most of the bots figure out on their own how often to crawl pages without me feeling the need to do anything. If the bots see the content changes daily then they crawl daily. If they see a page is almost never changed then it doesn't crawl the page often. I don't see the need (for me) to do anything different.

tflight, Jun 23, 2005 IP
  9. bigdoug

bigdoug Peon

Best Answers:
    Google-Bot returns to site based on 2 things
    1)Following back links (especially fresh links).
    2)Fresh content (daily is preferred for daily visits by bots).

The greater amount of freshly added links coupled with fresh content will ensure a daily visit of the G-Bot

D

bigdoug, Jun 23, 2005 IP
  10. alisia

alisia Peon

Best Answers:
    hey i m new in this fild can any buddy tell type of meta tag

alisia, Dec 14, 2006 IP
  11. chillware

chillware Peon

Best Answers:

yep any buddy sure can tell type of meta tag in this fild...

pretty amazing, huh?

chillware, Dec 14, 2006 IP
  12. mrkhm

mrkhm Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i agree with bigdoug, i have *mine set* revisit after 30 days on my site but for the past week the bot has been crawling every day round midnight

mrkhm, Dec 15, 2006 IP
  13. David-D

David-D Peon

Best Answers:
    Same deal here, mine is set to 14 days, but it wont stay away for more than a day

David-D, Dec 15, 2006 IP
  14. minstrel

Best Answers:
    As far as I know, the "revisit-after" tag is pretty much ignored.

minstrel, Dec 15, 2006 IP
  15. coolboycsaba

coolboycsaba Peon

Best Answers:
    i`m not sure but i think google and all the major search engines ignore this code....

coolboycsaba, Jun 13, 2009 IP
  16. Mrs. Sinner

Mrs. Sinner Peon

Best Answers:
    Couldn't you just set the frequency in your .xml sitemap to instruct the bots on how often they should return?

Mrs. Sinner, Jun 13, 2009 IP
  17. basmin

basmin Peon

Best Answers:
    is enough for me to just use sitemap.xml without editing header.php

basmin, Jun 13, 2009 IP
  18. Canonical

Canonical Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Absolutely worthless. I would not even set the crawl times in Google's Webmaster Tools. It's best to let the engines decide how often to crawl you. The ONLY time you should be telling them how often to crawl is if your site is running on some dog slow server, and them crawling your site brings the server to its knees.

If you want Google and the other engines to crawl you more often then:

1) Add new content (i.e. new PAGES) to your site frequently. Don't worry about modifying existing pages over and over other than making slight tweaks to optimize them... Other than your home page, I would recommend that you avoid changing existing content on your site to increase crawl frequence. Add new content instead. Doing so will not only avoid messing up your current rankings, but give you new pages that can rank for additional keyword phrases.
    2) Get more back links to your site. You site will have a scheduled crawl frequency (usually once per month or so for most new sites) where the engine visits your site and does a deep crawl. But so do other sites. When Google crawls a site that links to you during that site's scheduled crawl, Google will follow the link from that site to your site to make sure that the link is still good (not a 404) and to see if possibly that URL on your site has been 301 redirected so that they can give credit to the new URL on your site if necessary. When they do this, the spider will typically crawl some of your pages while they are there before leaving. The more inbound links, the more often they visit your site. Our site has a few million inbound links and Googlebot is on our site 24x7.

These two things will help determine how often you are crawled. The engines will eventually find a balance between their crawl frequency and your content generation rate.

Canonical, Jun 13, 2009 IP
  19. Dracul

Dracul Peon

Best Answers:
    I've tried this code and in my opinion it does not work. I believe it used to work but due to everyone setting it to 1 day, search engines now ignore it.

Dracul, Oct 15, 2009 IP
  20. terveg

terveg Peon

Best Answers:
    could U tell me, do I use meta name="revisit-after" content="*** hours" command or only in days. THX in advance

terveg, Oct 21, 2010 IP