1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Test the admin in OpenLD

Discussion in 'Directories' started by latehorn, Jan 16, 2007.

Since, I've got lots of requests for a demo of the admin section, I made a free account on phpnet.us where I host it. This includes includes all parts of OpenLD, even the install which I didn't delete(but you can't complete install if you don't know the mysql details).

http://latehorn.phpnet.us/OpenLD_1.1.0/

The username is 'admin' and the password is 'password'.

Download
    | Support | Conventional Demo

Edit: I've uploaded an external extension and installed it. It's a simple captcha extension that requires an captcha when you either submits a link or suggest a category.

latehorn, Jan 16, 2007 IP
    paidhosting likes this.
  2. paidhosting

paidhosting Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for demo, looks simple to use, but few things i can suggest dunno if you would be able to put them in the script.

1. Ajax based category selection menu, such that you choose a category its subcategories appear under it , not like phpld where all the categories and subcategories display at one location (this is the feature i liked about esyndicate).

2. A meta keyword grabber for the site that is submitted and a separate meta description field. Or you can say some extra custom fields selectable by admin.

3. Pagerank display of links, Thumnail display of links, and details of link , along with alexa traffic info on detailed link page.

Bugs:
    1. Payment does not work, i put a price for regular and paid links but it does not redirect me to payment page, if it did another thing i would like is that the link gets put in suspended or pending payment group so that it doesnt clog the directory untill payment has been confirmed. This is what i hate about phpld free version where you can submit featured links and not make payment, but link sits in the approve links section.

2. No price is shown for paid or any links, the submit page show both price and duration of link.

I liked the category adder the most, but its missing how many subcategories exists in a category number display (some like it some dont i like it though), feature to display 1 -2 - or more subcategory on index page under categories name.

More things that popup in my mind will post. I hope you have a cron running that resets password for admin login cause there are lots of jerks out there that will mess with password.

Regards

paidhosting, Jan 16, 2007 IP
  3. latehorn

latehorn Guest

Best Answers:
    I can make an Ajax plugin, but I'm not sure if want to add it to the script by default.

As above, this is a job for an extension.

As above..

hmm.. that's weird.. it worked for me last time I tried..

Good suggestion..

4. latehorn

latehorn Guest

Best Answers:
    Ok, try to buy a link now..

5. Mihai

Mihai Active Member

Best Answers:
    I like it very much. I have one suggestion for the start! Add a confirmation box for actions like [Delete] in admin panel link management. One could click accidentaly and the link goes away without any other question or notice :D

Regards

Mihai, Jan 17, 2007 IP
  6. latehorn

latehorn Guest

Best Answers:
    Hehe.. it has been considered that before, but you can delete stuff much faster without one, so instead, maybe there should be an history feature in were you can revert the x latest actions.

latehorn, Jan 17, 2007 IP
  7. Mihai

Mihai Active Member

Best Answers:
    Good idea. How about a Prefferences panel for Admin Panel so that admin can choose such "x link management modifications".

Or number of days ... remember such modifications for "x" number of days.

Sincerely I would prefer a prefferences panel with a "ask for confirmation when deleting a link" [ ] checkbox so I can enable or disable this feature, depending to the situation (if I want to mass-delete links then disabled if i want to just go into cleaning up a bit and making sure they are still active - enable

Regards

Mihai, Jan 17, 2007 IP
  8. latehorn

latehorn Guest

Best Answers:
    You may try this new delete_warning extension. Hope it helps!

latehorn, Jan 17, 2007 IP
  9. paidhosting

paidhosting Peon

Best Answers:
    So late how is the payment module going along? I cannot use a directory which has poor payment system built in (for example esyndicate), phpld has better system but it needs improvement too.

Regards

paidhosting, Jan 17, 2007 IP
  10. latehorn

latehorn Guest

Best Answers:
    The payment fix has been out for a while. Payments do work now. This fixes some other bugs too.

The payment bug was actually not related to paypal, it was just a wrong if case.

latehorn, Jan 18, 2007 IP
  11. paidhosting

paidhosting Peon

Best Answers:
    K what about modifying the submit page to show the prices ? Looks like payment working now.

paidhosting, Jan 18, 2007 IP
  12. latehorn

latehorn Guest

Best Answers:
    Actually, it's going to be included in the next bugfix release version.. but I want to collect more changes/bugfixes before it's going to be released. In the mean time, you could edit the submit file like this.

13. paidhosting

paidhosting Peon

Best Answers:
    Ah shoot i forgot about this : there is no contact form, and a contact form with captcha system would be great.

Trying it out now will work out some templates for you to offer.

Regards

14. paidhosting

paidhosting Peon

Best Answers:
    Oh man you need to make a better template system, you have used so many divs and ids thats it takes ages to code the template.
    Only got so far : http://freeopenldtemplates.sbclansite.com/demo1/ , cannot figure out which code does what and stuff. Instead of having so many html files in theme simplification would be advised.

Regards

15. latehorn

latehorn Guest

Best Answers:
    Hmm.. I haven't considered it before..

Yes, there's lots of stuff in the .css that isn't used.
    Your template looks good, but why is this text:
    in the footer?

16. paidhosting

paidhosting Peon

Best Answers:
    Cause i was trying to modify my free template for phpld : http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=218761 but spent too much time figuring the stuff for openld, its just crazy the way you have created the template system and is a turnoff for most coders.

Regards

17. dkessaris

dkessaris Peon

Best Answers:
    A few suggestions,

In the review que show at which category was the link was submitted (I always prefer to see the full path)

Add meta descriptions for the categories (really really important)

Allow the admin to create coupon codes or even integrate a shopping cart, a shopping cart for a directory is a great idea imho

I may have missed it but does it send approval rejection emails?

I will probably add a few more suggestions later.

dkessaris, Jan 19, 2007 IP
  18. latehorn

latehorn Guest

Best Answers:
    I didn't create it. Paul Sullivan created it. This is an import from PunBB.

And yes I agree, that the default template could be smaller.

latehorn, Jan 19, 2007 IP
  19. latehorn

latehorn Guest

Best Answers:
    Not by default, but there's an extension that does it.

latehorn, Jan 19, 2007 IP
  20. Mihai

Mihai Active Member

Best Answers:
    Please detail more the template system. I think it is a bit too hard to modify the template with the current design and structure. Can you do something about this? This is a major problem for me now.

Regards

Mihai, Jan 19, 2007 IP