1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

PR or Traffic

Discussion in 'Google' started by MafiaMaster, Jan 15, 2007.

I've been a webmaster for about a year, but never a religious one. I did things every once in a while, but never really tried owning websites. Now that I am focusing on trying to own websites and making a profit, I'm torn on what I should focus on.

What is more important? Page Rank or Traffic? Why are people so worried about having a high PR site? If so many people are looking to profit from adsense, isn't it better to have high traffic rather than PR? What exactly does having a high PR do for a site? Take, for example, an arcade site. They make their money from getting clicks on adsense. So, why would it matter for them having a high PR? I'm just curious.

MafiaMaster, Jan 15, 2007 IP
  2. hhheng

hhheng Banned

Best Answers:
    It is better to have good traffic if you want to make money through Adsense, affiliate program, selling serice, etc. If you are selling links on your page, you'd better achieve higher PR. Anyway, personally I think traffic is most important for many websites.

hhheng, Jan 15, 2007 IP
  3. Blogsip

Blogsip Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Personally I think having high traffic is better because some of the traffic can convert to members for some of my sites. The only reason I care about PR is to be able to sell links, but it's fustrating when no one wants to purchase a PR 1 or 2 link even if there is decent traffic and content, but don't mind purchasing a higher PR link when the site is useless and doesn't get much traffic. I just don't like focusing on PR because on my experience I've had sites that I worked hard on and promoted that got low or no PR, and had sites that I worked little or never on and got decent PR.

Blogsip, Jan 15, 2007 IP
  4. letsjoy

letsjoy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Tarffic is more important then page rank

letsjoy, Jan 15, 2007 IP
  5. soju

soju Peon

Best Answers:
    People want high PR to sell links, which in turn increases the buyers page rank so they can sell links to the next guy. The initial idea was to help search engine position. But a superficial market has developed that you need only accept. Don't worry about the whys and wherefores.

soju, Jan 15, 2007 IP
  6. Litho

Litho Peon

Best Answers:
    Traffic is the ONLY way to go. I have some low pr sites that do awsome on traffic and also some high pr sites that do nothing but look nice.

Traffic from Google seems to be the best, so study up on them and you should be fine.

Litho, Jan 15, 2007 IP
  7. Bangkok Baby

Bangkok Baby Peon

Best Answers:
    Targeted Traffic is the King on internet.

People buy links, try to attain high PR, create content and promote their website to gain targeted traffic.

Bangkok Baby, Jan 15, 2007 IP
  8. mvandemar

mvandemar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You're looking at it wrong, which many people do. It's not that PR will make you more money... it's that having higher rankings for the right keywords will bring you more traffic, and having higher powered links pointing at your site with the right anchor text will help you get those higher rankings... and will increase your PR.

It's not about selling links. That's a very small niche market. The problem is you have everybody and their brother saying the same thing, "PR is only good for selling links." They heard someone else say it, and they think it makes them sound smarter to repeat it, like they know something special. It's not the case though. Some do sell links based on PR, most do not.

Also, when asking people to link to you, often times they will be more hesitant when linking to a new or lesser maintained (hence lower or no PageRank) site. It's a psychological thing. This is especially true when asking for a link exchange, or if you happen to run a directory.

So, focus on your link building along with whatever other marketing you do. If you get rankings, but do not get PR next update, then don't worry about it.

-Michael

mvandemar, Jan 15, 2007 IP
    MafiaMaster likes this.
  9. rapeedu

rapeedu Guest

Best Answers:
    if I focus to make money from adsense, should i have high traffic beter?

rapeedu, Jan 15, 2007 IP
  10. seo_kate

seo_kate Peon

Best Answers:
    yes I agree with mvan .. its about rankings and to get good ranking all seo knw wht to do.. If u have good ranking then u will received good traffic.. So most imp how u get your site.. having high PR doesn't mean u will have high traffic coming to your site

seo_kate, Jan 15, 2007 IP
  11. vic_msn

vic_msn Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    appearance in search engines is the most important according to me.
    traffic +1 spot PR +2 spot

vic_msn, Jan 15, 2007 IP
  12. oseymour

oseymour Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    get links based on the traffic that your will get. don't focus too much on PR. unless you are planning to sell links.

oseymour, Jan 15, 2007 IP
  13. gordano

gordano Active Member

Best Answers:
    Traffic, Traffic, Traffic is what I recommend.

To use an anology, PR is a bit like a designer label for your webiste, however the desginer label can only be seen by webmasters as few customers have a PR toolbar installed. If you want to trade with customers, forget PR, focus on traffic. If you want to trade in designer labels that customers do not see then may be you need to re-check your business plan and whether you are going to make any money. ;)

gordano, Jan 15, 2007 IP
  14. SEOSURAT

SEOSURAT Banned

Best Answers:
    Traffic is good and PR is good if you want to sell links

SEOSURAT, Jan 16, 2007 IP
  15. kendo1979

kendo1979 Peon

Best Answers:
    yes, more traffic means more probability of your ads getting clicked. and i think traffic counts many thing, not just adsense.

kendo1979, Jan 16, 2007 IP
  16. steveb

steveb Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Definitely traffic! You have more money-making opportunities with traffic: you can either sell links or make money off Adsense or affiliate programs.

With high PR, the only way to make money is by selling links. This can be a lucrative business if you can achieve PR7 or higher.

steveb, Jan 16, 2007 IP
  17. MafiaMaster

MafiaMaster Peon

Best Answers:
    So...The conclusion is that traffic and PR both are important? Is that a good conclusion?

MafiaMaster, Jan 16, 2007 IP
  18. steveb

steveb Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think that is every webmaster's goal: to achieve both high traffic and PR.

steveb, Jan 16, 2007 IP
  19. rizal

rizal Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with you.. That my conclusion too..

rizal, Jan 16, 2007 IP
  20. Forsh

Forsh Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I thought the two would go hand-in-hand. Like, a higher PR would get you more traffic?

Forsh, Jan 16, 2007 IP