1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Matt Cutts on Supplemental results and some PR thing

Discussion in 'Google' started by dbinto, Jan 10, 2007.

Matt posted a useful blog about everyone's new fav topic-supplemental results. Plus he mentions something about some PR thing!! Time to discuss and tweak those sites.

From matts blog. http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/

As a reminder, supplemental results aren’t something to be afraid of; I’ve got pages from my site in the supplemental results, for example. A complete software rewrite of the infrastructure for supplemental results launched in Summer o’ 2005, and the supplemental results continue to get fresher. Having urls in the supplemental results doesn’t mean that you have some sort of penalty at all; the main determinant of whether a url is in our main web index or in the supplemental index is PageRank. If you used to have pages in our main web index and now they’re in the supplemental results, a good hypothesis is that we might not be counting links to your pages with the same weight as we have in the past. The approach I’d recommend in that case is to use solid white-hat SEO to get high-quality links (e.g. editorially given by other sites on the basis of merit).

dbinto, Jan 10, 2007 IP
    Phynder, sachin410 and minstrel like this.
  2. mpls-web-design

mpls-web-design Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Pages in the supplemental results are ranked at the bottom. That is why people are concerned about it.

It has been my experience that building some quality links is the quickest way to get your pages out supplemental results.

mpls-web-design, Jan 11, 2007 IP
  3. indoman

indoman Peon

Best Answers:
    wow...thankx for information about this supplemental result. I need like this information

indoman, Jan 11, 2007 IP
  4. cldnails

cldnails Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Odd, hypothesis by the G man himself, considering a lot of reputable sites have received PR0's in the latest tool bar roll out. Hmmm, who to believe?

cldnails, Jan 11, 2007 IP
  5. ferret77

ferret77 Heretic

Best Answers:
    yeah it just means no one will ever see them in the serps, big difference

ferret77, Jan 11, 2007 IP
  6. Phynder

Phynder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well, think of supplemental as the "long tail" of the SERPs. The main index is the oft searched and found content - supplemental are, well - supplements.

For instance, I have a stock market site - it has 14,000 company pages. Most of those pages are in the supplemental index. I work on getting links to the companies that people search for often - and those end up in the main index. The other 13,900 pages are supplemental - but when someone searches for some unknown company (long tail) - I have a good change of ending up in the SERPs for that query.

Phynder, Jan 11, 2007 IP
  7. Motter

Motter Peon

Best Answers:
    in other words stop with your spammy tactics. So Google is going to start tacking credit away from things like forum posts and blog comments and put more weight on Blog posts and new articles?

Motter, Jan 11, 2007 IP
  8. xboxundone

xboxundone Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    this is good way to look at it :)

xboxundone, Jan 11, 2007 IP
  9. ablaye

ablaye Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Wow. Very interesting. Getting backlinks to supplemental pages will be a take a lot of effort but I wonder if it is not better to just focus on getting links to your main page to boost its PR.

ablaye, Jan 11, 2007 IP
  10. Phynder

Phynder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    And the answer is: Yes. You gotta do both - there is no way around it - deep links are very important.

Phynder, Jan 11, 2007 IP
  11. ferret77

ferret77 Heretic

Best Answers:
    not if there is 10 websites that arn't supplemental that have any info on that company

I have supplemental stuff that comes up but only for the most obscure phrases

Also if you get a bunch of supplementals google can kickout your main pages, and/or your pages that are targeting more competitive terms

ferret77, Jan 12, 2007 IP
  12. matt-baker

matt-baker Guest

Best Answers:
    The reputable and well established site you refer to haven't received PR0. Check Matt Cutts blog post, he has updated it explaining what happened and everything should now be back to normal.

matt-baker, Jan 12, 2007 IP
  13. cldnails

Best Answers:
    Yes, back to the way they were. Still, with all the brain power behind G, you'd think they could do it right the first time and be consistent.

cldnails, Jan 12, 2007 IP
  14. matt-baker

matt-baker Guest

Best Answers:
    You're acting like they made a mistake. The way I read Matt's update is that it was unavoidable.

matt-baker, Jan 12, 2007 IP
  15. cldnails

Best Answers:
    I'm sorry, but it just sounds like BS to me. Top quality Grade A BS. lol No offense to you or your blog, I just don't agree.

cldnails, Jan 12, 2007 IP