1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What is the best to test a writer before hiring one?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by Marifer, Jan 9, 2007.

1. onedollar

onedollar SEO Consultant for Hire

Best Answers:
    I would play the contrarion here :) and would say don't hire a writer based on samples alone.
    unless the author has proven credentials, always give a few articles for work and also try to analyse their communication skills - the way they respond to your requests and emails - and the overall work done. if they are really creative, the write-up would give an idea of their thought process, the creativity would flow into their writing and it should show in the their actual work output.:)

you'll be able to judge a bad writer in just 2-3 assignments given and regarding duplicate content issues, there are a few tools available on the web which can help :)

onedollar, Jan 10, 2007 IP
  2. sundaybrew

sundaybrew Numerati

Best Answers:

umm.....I meant Itraders for writing when I said look at there itraders, In response to your " they can have itraders for anything", that would be just plain silly not to look for " article " itraders......but anyhow

Second....Yea, dude your so wrong....They are PLENTY of serious writers here like I mentioned in the above posts, the marketjunction gang ( now newly leaded by internet author ) are a bunch of way talented and serious people, but because they don't want to give you a sample or write for free that makes them less serious?

Thats like you looking for a job and you go to the place of employment and they tell you " just work the day shift " , to see how you will do , and oh yea you don't get paid for it ......

Like Jason said YOU are an amateur yourself becuase anyone "serious" about hiring a writer will know that time is money and "great" articles take time....

But anyhow good luck on your non serious quest to find a writer

sundaybrew, Jan 10, 2007 IP
  3. Confident

Confident Banned

Best Answers:

I have fell victim to the low payment rates personally and have no experience with finding a good writer but a lot of people on GAF would ask to get a sample article on a topic they choose made, it is a way a lot of people do it. I have been writing for a year now, I understand the time and effort it takes, especially for mag writing (Which I have done).

Confident, Jan 10, 2007 IP
  4. sundaybrew

sundaybrew Numerati

Best Answers:
    Oh well...showing you samples of work they have done in the past....and having them write you an article for free is to different cups of tea :)

jhmattern likes this.
  5. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Really? My article rates start at $.35 / word (for very limited rights), and I'm here... doing pretty well too. Do I get most of my writing work through DP? No. But once in a while someone comes along who knows the value, and it works out. I don't actively solicit article writing gigs here though... only certain PR writing projects that the market has a need for. But being here is in no way holding me back, and has led to some rather interesting contacts. The good ones simply know how to say "no." Who cares if they balk at the rates we charge? We laugh right back when they think they can afford our time at a half cent per word. So what? It's all fair in the end.

If you've never found a good writer, you're probably not paying enough... simple as that. If you can't attract them, you won't get them. So what if people on GAF request free, custom samples? They're not going to get great writers either. They simply don't troll GAF looking for cheap gigs... they're too busy querying real publications. Once in a blue moon I pick up a client there for a press release who will pay my normal rates (actually met some incredibly interesting clients that way), but the article requests are usually jokes demanding experts with perfect English and loads of samples or free writing... all for pennies per word (and I've seen as low as $.13 / ARTICLE). So basing your model on finding writers on something done at GAF isn't likely the smartest business decision. Neither would be bidding on projects like those if you're a writer.

jhmattern, Jan 10, 2007 IP
    sundaybrew likes this.
  6. marketjunction

marketjunction Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'd just like to add that TIME doesn't equal TALENT. I know of writers who have been writing for many years and still can't write at the print quality level AND I know of some that have been writing for just two years who do.

Time means absolutely nothing unless that time is spent educating yourself in the craft. If you're a poor writer and all you do is write, you'll be a poor writer for ages, because your foundation is flawed and you're not working to improve it. And no, just writing doesn't improve your foundation.

I'm not on the boat that believes anyone can learn to be a great writer. If you work hard, you can certainly become decent, but past that point it's God-given talent that brings you the rest of the way. You either have it or you don't.

Joe, please don't mention tea. Now I have to go make some. :)

marketjunction, Jan 10, 2007 IP
  7. internetauthor

internetauthor Peon

Best Answers:
    Okay, now really. We have three computers all lined up in the office (my husband and I) I used to have dual monitor for my laptop, but Mike took my second monitor away to use on the server that sits between us.

Also, as a matter of fact, despite the fact that I born in '79, I was totally computer savvy in the 80s. We used to play Oregon Trail and Arkanoid on the ol' II GS ALL the time. My husband had the Commodore 64 before you even ask. LOL

Rebecca

internetauthor, Jan 10, 2007 IP
  8. marketjunction

Best Answers:
    My first computer was the Vic 20. When I bought the Commodore 64, I thought I was in computer heaven. :D

sundaybrew likes this.
  9. internetauthor

internetauthor Peon

Best Answers:
    Yea Me!

LOL

There are definitely some valid arguments being thrown around here. I do advertise occasionally for article and content writing services and have MANY clients willing to pay considerably more than $0.06 per word. Many have tried the cheap articles and been burned. Granted there are some writers who have great cheap articles, but they usually don't stay cheap long. :)

Rebecca

10. Marifer

Marifer Peon

Best Answers:
    thanks all for the feedback. What is the average rate per word going nowadays?

Marifer, Jan 10, 2007 IP
  11. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    That depends on the kind of quality you want. If you want something completely unique and written by someone with actual expertise in your niche, you'll have to pay significantly more. If you're fine with more general writing that's just put together from basic research, you'll probably find someone who will do it for a few cents per word.

jhmattern, Jan 10, 2007 IP
  12. internetauthor

internetauthor Peon

Best Answers:
    From what I've seen on DP, the range is about $0.005 - $0.35 per word. I'm not sure this helps, though. LOL

Rebecca

sundaybrew likes this.
  13. sundaybrew

sundaybrew Numerati

Best Answers:

I had that pc ( commodore 64) then upgraded to the 128 :)

Ahhh...those were the days

goto = line 1

14. marketjunction

Best Answers:
    When I got my vic 20, I thought I was elite when I made it print my name up and down the screen. :)

15. KeywordsandCopy

KeywordsandCopy Peon

Best Answers:
    This is not necessarily true. Many people give samples of articles that they have written for other clients. For this reason the sample article is sure to show up in copyscape...

KeywordsandCopy, Jan 13, 2007 IP