1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

My 2006 AdSense Summary - From $10/Week to $800/Week

Discussion in 'AdSense' started by Burta, Dec 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Even though it may be a little late - Merry Christmas everyone!

Well it would appear that another year has quickly come and gone, but it has been a very eventful year for me in terms of my AdSense experience so I thought I’d share my experience over the last 12 months, and maybe throw in a few hints and tips that I have learnt in that time.

OK will start off with who I am and how long I have been doing this for? My name is Chris and I’m a 21 year old university student from Brisbane, Australia. I started my sites back in the middle of 2004 for a bit of fun and to apply some of the new skills that I had just learnt in one of the subjects I had just studied at uni. That said I did have a bit of website and SEO experience from a few hobby sites that I created back in 1999 – 2001 when I made a couple of sites while I was in high school, again just as a hobby about topics I liked. As you can see I have been a member here at DP since October 2005 so I have been here for over a year now and I have learnt SO much, and I guess this thread is my little way of summarizing a lot of what I have learnt and giving back.

So I guess what you all really want to know is just how much am I making from AdSense on my sites. Well as it stands I’m making around $120/day lately. Here is a graph of my earnings progress since I joined DP:

[​IMG]

As you can see when I first joined DP I was earning a very measly $10/week from AdSense with my sites that were at this point about 15 months old. Once I joined DP I obviously had my eyes opened to the true potential of my sites, not just in terms of AdSense but also in terms of SEO and the importance of building a good quality site. With this, I quickly saw improvements in my AdSense earnings and my traffic to my sites by applying that simple advice that is scattered all over these forums, and within a few short weeks I was earning a very solid $100-$200/week which I was quite happy with.

From October 2005 through to May 2006 I saw fairly gradually, but small growth of my sites with the exception of two weeks in February where my sites were down for a few days and constantly crashing until I upgraded my hosting, which had become overburdened due the progress I had made. Then in May I got caught up with my university commitments and then I went on a couple of brief holidays which saw my sites’ growth stagnate until around August at which point I had a terrible drop in revenues as a result of Google supplementally indexing my sites and placing many of my pages into supplemental results, a problem which I would solve a couple of months later.

Then came September! As you can see on the graph I made significant progress in September. What did I do that made such amazing returns in such a short period of time? Simple – I got serious and started working hard and applying what I had learnt over the past two years.

How did I get serious? I took a bit of a risk, bought a few books about AdSense, SEO and general website development and dropped down to part time uni and started dedicating more time to my websites. I started writing articles that were on topics that people wanted to know about and topics that people were searching for, and I placed these articles into a highly optimized template that was just designed for these articles, then I went about building a few backlinks for these articles to help with the SEO. I’d have periods of maybe a week where everyday I would sit down and write an article two, often three or four, and I’d just keep writing, sharing my knowledge, sharing my expertise.

Why were articles successful? These articles each focused on an individual search term or topic within my industry. The articles were informative and useful. They were 100% original and completely unique in the industry. They were my thoughts, opinions and beliefs on topics that I was very knowledgeable on. They were detailed and lengthy. And the search engines loved them.

Why did the search engines love them? Because they were original and unique, and because they were getting backlinks and they were on my established sites which I believe have a fair amount of “TrustRank” because at this point my sites were well over 2 years old and had thousands of backlinks, because I had slowly but surely developed them over the previous two years. Plus the articles were all on niche topics that there wasn’t that much competition for, and I had employed very basic, but very solid SEO techniques. Things like:

- Giving each article an individual highly relevant page title.
    - Using meta descriptions and keywords, but not abusing them.
    - Using H1 and H2 tags.
    - Using good keyword density and specific phrase targeting.
    - Using good quality, unique, original and focused content.
    - Building some well anchored backlinks.
    - With a good navigational system between articles.
    - Using an aged domain with good TrustRank.

These techniques are nothing special, and are the basics of SEO and when they are applied to individual articles and based around a well optimized AdSense template is the formula for high earnings and success with AdSense.

So what sort of template am I using? It is again nothing special. It basically is a simple article page that was 780px wide, with an AdSense links unit at the top, then a 100px high header image, then a left hand navigation bar. Then a large rectangle unit above the article, then the article itself with a H1 title, with H2 sub titles, where required, followed by another large rectangle unit after the article which was along side a list of similar articles, then a footer. Far from a revolutionary template design. I have attached the hand drawn version I gave to my designer so you can see how simple the design was.

Ok so that is the basics of how I went from less than $10/day in August 2006 to $100/day in October 2005, but before I wrap up this “little” post I thought I’d also share a few bits of wisdom that I have picked up along this 15 month learning curve here at DP.

Firstly so many people out there are preaching you need to diversifying and make MORE sites if you want to make more money with AdSense, and often in this suggestion is the timeless of debate of which is the best way to make money with AdSense, with sheer quantity of sites or a few quality sites? Personally I’m a quality sort of person who believes that that with every page and site I’m creating and building an asset that will not just be of value now, but well into the future. I’m not working on a snatch and grab model of trying to create one spam site a day everyday for a month to hopefully earning $1 from each site so that by the end of the month I can be earning $30/day. Why don’t I work like this – because in life making money generally comes down to one thing – providing value, and sites like that are soon weeded out by refined search engine algorithms.

Whether you are a CEO of a large company or a factory worker working on assembly line you are being paid for the value you provide. When it comes to websites you also need to be providing value to your visitors for them to continue to use your service, and by providing value you will gain them as a loyal reader, and as a reader you can advertise to them. The more people and the more value you provide the more you will make. It’s a simple equation really. Now search engines are constantly working towards weeding out the “poor value” sites that are often referred to SPAM and whilst there may be loopholes at the moment with every passing year the search engines become savvier and are refining their search algorithms.

So for me providing value is normally about providing good quality content. So I make sure that when I’m creating sites these days I’m adding something to the site that makes it worthwhile for someone to visit and if possible try to make it so valuable to them that they are actually inspired to come back again and again. These sorts of sites are then normally looked upon favorably by search engines as they receive natural link development from all the fans of the site. This is a model of site development that doesn’t just work presently, but is a model that I’m confident that will work well into the future of this rapidly changing environment.

Another issue that is often brought up is the issue of creating lots of sites for high paying niches. Personally I have never wasted my time with such things because I’m focused on providing good quality expert content and if I’m going to do this I need to make sure that I’m knowledgeable in the niche that I’m creating the site on, and unfortunately for me I’m just not that knowledgeable on mesothelioma, cancer, debt consolidation or lawyers, nor do I have any passion towards developing my knowledge on such niches so creating a site for such things would just be a waste of my time and any visitor’s time that came by my site, because the information on it would be next to useless.

What is a much smarter idea, that I believe I got from one of Shoemoney’s posts was that you should establish a good quality site in an industry that you are familiar with and knowledgeable of then when you have built the site to close to its potential and you are looking to make a new site to diversify, you should look to make a site that is still in a similar industry but has only a degree or two of separation from your original site. So say you had a site about Sports Cars, instead of trying to start a site about Music or something else that is completely unrelated to your established site, you might try making a site about Car Sound Systems, or Luxury Cars, or something that is still related to cars. This way you can build the new site somewhat off the back of the already established Sports Cars site. Plus you already have a great deal of knowledge about the related industry plus it is easier to stay motivated if you make sites about topics related to your passions, and even if you don’t have expert knowledge to start off with, you will pick things up quickly when you have loads of related knowledge from your other expertise. This is so much easier than trying to develop a new site from scratch and is a very effective way of developing a successful network of sites that feed off each other.

In this game of making money online you really should be always experimenting and trialling new things, but you should also be looking to apply methods that you know work. Building on what you have with more of what has worked in the past and consolidating your position.

You also need to make sure that you are working hard and keeping yourself motivated. The online world can be extremely competitive and you need to make sure that you are doing your best to stay ahead of the pack. You should be reading diversely on a range of topics, AdSense and other earning methods, SEO, online marketing, website design and development. Reading diversely doesn’t mean just reading forums, I also highly recommend buying ebooks, books taking classes to extend your learning beyond that of JUST DP – there is a whole world of thinking out there and often I think that so many people are just reading DP thinking that it is a one stop shop for everything.

The reality is DP doesn’t have it all and a $20 book from Amazon on AdSense or SEO could make you thousands of dollars. Let’s face it, if you aren’t willing to part with $20 at bare minimum to extend your expertise, chances are you aren’t going to be the next person here making $XX,XXX/month from anything online. That said there are definitely exceptions to that but it's extremely rare. Plus you can certainly fast track your development and earnings if you are willing to shell out a few dollars to increase your knowledge, or get a good quality design made, or some special feature for your site. Plus if you have invested money into your projects chances are you will be a lot more committed to gaining a return from them which will only further contribute to your development.

The reality is there are millions of people online that are willing to put their time into making money online, but only a very small proportion of those are willing to put there time AND money into giving themselves the edge, and the reality is that for every person that had tried to make a few bucks online and succeeded there have been about another 99 that tried and made nothing. So give yourself the edge, and take the risk of losing a what is literally a couple of dollars – I can almost guarantee you it will be the best risk you have ever taken.

I mentioned above, it is important you stay motivated, and one of the best ways I know of staying motivated is setting challenging goals and targets that are very detailed and measurable. That includes, short, medium and long term goals, and often making them public like here on DP is a great way of making yourself accountable to them. I personally think that you should have your goals written down somewhere along with an action plan at least and renewed them at least once a month. There have been many goal setting threads started up here at DP before in the past, many of which I have tried to stay actively involved with in the past, and I have always found them be wonderful references for both your progress and to help with keeping to a target.

Well it think this thread is getting excessively long now so I will wrap it up, with a good old fashioned, if you work hard you will reap the fruits of your labor. So stick at it, and best of luck in 2007 may it be your greatest year to date.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Attached Files:

Burta, Dec 28, 2006 IP
  2. Austars

Austars Active Member

Best Answers:
    Wow, merry christmas and thanks for all the helpful info!! :D

Austars, Dec 28, 2006 IP
  3. darkbreed

darkbreed Peon

Best Answers:
    Very intersting, and extremely informative post! I will certainly try out some of the tips you put forth here, sounds very good :) And good luck mate, sounds like you are on the right path without any doubt!

darkbreed, Dec 28, 2006 IP
  4. Burta

Burta Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I guess this is my little "Christmas Present" to all the DP members out there... :p.

I'm glad you got something out of it. I actually feel like my potential earn money with AdSense is virtually unlimited these days. I really look at it as basically just a function of how much time I'm willing to put into it, the more time I put into it the more money I'll make.

Also if anyone else wanted to share there experience of 2006, or what they have learnt, or some of their goals for 2007, by all means I'd love to hear them and I'm sure many other would as well.

I personally am looking toward 2007 already and I'm aiming to be earning $10,000/month by April by applying the same technique that I have already found a lot of success with. But I'm also trying to diversify my online earnings into other revenue sources so I can further consolidate my earnings.

Burta, Dec 28, 2006 IP
  5. netjobs

netjobs Banned

Best Answers:
    That's a long post, but very well done and keep it up the good work and wishing you all the success in future endeavours...

netjobs, Dec 28, 2006 IP
  6. casperl

casperl Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for sharing your experience. Nice to hear these ideas working.. I have an established site with unique content but because of some mistakes i made technically, i am fighting with some stupid problems currently :( So i am still somewhere around 500 even if i have a very similar story to you.

Happy new year.

casperl, Dec 28, 2006 IP
  7. Aforizmalar

Aforizmalar Guest

Best Answers:
    Burta , congratulations for your long term effort ! And thanks for your post. I always believe long term work and working hard like you. These are two main rules of being successful. As you mentioned , I really believe creating goals and time management. Focusing on the right subjects , and working on them long term without wasting time with online toys ( msn , emails , games etc. ).

Aforizmalar, Dec 28, 2006 IP
  8. dacshund2000

dacshund2000 Peon

Best Answers:
    What a great wrap for the New Year! REALLY!

dacshund2000, Dec 28, 2006 IP
  9. gudly

gudly Guest

Best Answers:
    Thats Really Interesting and informative too... but even toooooo long to read

gudly, Dec 28, 2006 IP
  10. Tyler Banfield

Tyler Banfield Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'll have to bookmark this thread and come back later, my eyes hurt too much to read that all right now ;)

Tyler Banfield, Dec 28, 2006 IP
    PalSys likes this.
  11. Futures_Equity

Futures_Equity Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Very interesting mate, thanks for sharing. Reputation given of course but I have some questions, I read every word of your post but couldn't find the answer it seems like you manually create your sites? do you use notepad, dreamweaver? also I'm assuming those 2 ads in the templates are 336x280s. Thanks for the great post.

Futures_Equity, Dec 28, 2006 IP
  12. Austars

Austars Active Member

Best Answers:
    yea, thats what I did, I only got about a quarter way through :)

Austars, Dec 28, 2006 IP
  13. reapr

reapr Peon

Best Answers:
    That is great with adsense... Write an instructional ebooklet as a viral marketing tool! Ride the wave while the momentum is strong. Good luck

reapr, Dec 28, 2006 IP
  14. dynn

dynn Notable Member

Best Answers:
    great post...thanks for sharing...this will inspire me to work hard to increase my earning.

dynn, Dec 28, 2006 IP
  15. iceberg

iceberg Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks mate, for the post. Its not only inspiring but also informative.

And its too late to wish you a Merry Christmas, so wishing you a Happy and Prosperous New Year.

iceberg, Dec 28, 2006 IP
    PalSys and kunzi like this.
  16. sri

sri Active Member

Best Answers:
    Burta,

Excellent write-up! I bookmarked this in my del.icio.us.

Can you pls share the URLs of your niche sites you talk about?

sri, Dec 29, 2006 IP
  17. born2win

born2win Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks buddy for your valuable words.
    This is wat finally peoples ask who contributes so nicely in DP :p .

born2win, Dec 29, 2006 IP
  18. Burta

Burta Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    LOL sorry everyone - but when I'm in a writing mood, I'm in a writing mood, and I figured I'd try to get as much of my thoughts down as possible, I mean hopefully most of it is of use to most people reading - and even if it isn't the first time you have read such advice, hopefully it will help reinforce some of the things that we all tend to lose track of at times so we can refocus for a MASSIVE 2007!

Thanks everyone who has given me positive reputation - I really appreciate it. I makes it very easy to share what I have learnt when I get nice comments in my reputation box.

In regards to your questions - I don't often code in notepad, or at least I don't do it personally sometimes I outsource design work or I generally use free templates and I have some sites that use scripts like phpBB and vBulletin so I don't really need to code much - just skin them. But most of the work I do isn't exactly amazing coding or anything, rather is just creating a basic template and filling it with wonderful content - which doesn't have anything to do with coding. So basically I just use whatever is open, most of the time it's notepad or dreamweaver even dreaded FrontPage, and I often find myself creating pages and updating through cpanel's file manager as much as anything. I don't really know if I have answered your question - I hope I have.

As for the ad units in the template design I attached - yeah they are 336x280 large rectangles.

LOL I could do that - but that's just one more thing I'd have to market and manage :rolleyes: - I dunno, maybe in 2007 I'll something a bit more comprehensive when I launch my new "Online Entrepreneur" blog - I'll no doubt keep everyone here at DP posted on that. Plus I have a to-do list that is as long as my arm, literally, and I think it is only fair that I give a little back to DP considering I have utilized the great minds here for the last 15 months.

That's great to hear - I had hoped that this post might give a bit of renewed inspiration to a few people for 2007 - people might even be able to slip in a mention of their prospective online earnings during their 2007 New Years resolutions.

Thanks.

As for my URL I will be keeping them private for the time being - not really for any fear of duplication or anything (people can't normally duplicate "expert knowledge") but to be completely honest people having my URL wouldn't help them develop their own sites. There is only so much analysis of another people's sites that can further your learning - plus you are better of analyzing the competing sites in your industry to see where they have gained their success. And then it is just a matter of getting stuck into it and working hard - how many examples of well blended AdSense ads do you need to see before you get the principle. After a while you are just wasting your time that could be better spent developing your site.

Anyway, I have basically spelt out my earning methods, shown my design template and SEO. The only thing that is left to do is for people to apply it to their own industries which they are "knowledgeable" in so they can provide good "value" on their sites.

Burta, Dec 29, 2006 IP
    earticles, jamesplato and Highena.com like this.
  19. GeorgR.

GeorgR. Peon

Best Answers:
    yes i very much like your attitude !

Great article !

GeorgR., Dec 29, 2006 IP
  20. adleym

adleym Peon

Best Answers:
    Amazing Post! I completely agree with your philosophy-quality over quantity is better for the creator of the site (more $ in the long run), and better for the web in general. Best of luck to you!

adleym, Dec 29, 2006 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.