1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

The Six Figure Challenge

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by jhmattern, Nov 8, 2006.

1. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Today's writers' markets are posted on all three sites.

Back on the newsletter issue... if anyone has suggestions for things they'd like to see, please let us know. :) We already have the weekly newsletter sections set up, but we can add additional things (like with the freelance writing job newsletter) that will go out on separate days.

Jenn

I missed yesterday's markets, so I posted two day's worth today in all three sites.

Don't forget, the newsletters go out this Monday, so be sure to sign up so you don't miss anything!

Also, I've been doing a featured weekly writing site, and I've opened up a thread in the Six Figure Challenge area of www.AllFreelancing.com where you can now nominate sites to be considered for that weekly feature.
    Jenn

Today's markets were posted a bit earlier, so be sure to check them out. :) Denise will be trying to post tomorrow so I can take a much needed day off, but if she's not able to, we'll still make sure the set gets up, even if it's a bit late. :)

Don't forget to sign up for the Challenge Newsletter at www.SixFigureWriters.com before Monday so you don't miss any of the newsletters. The first interview and weekly writers' challenge will be included to get things a bit more interactive.

We'll have a TON of news coming up all this month, so keep your eyes peeled here. Just to give you a heads up:

1. We'll be running an adopt-a-writer "contest" soon.

2. We're going to be adding more custom writers' markets listings that you won't find posted to most other market sites.

3. I'm going to try to add a progress bar to profiles of Allfreelancing forum members who are "joining" the Challenge with us.

That and more coming soon. We'll keep you updated. :)

Jenn

jhmattern, Nov 28, 2006 IP
  2. gr8liverpoolfan

gr8liverpoolfan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You are doing a great job Jenn :)

gr8liverpoolfan, Dec 1, 2006 IP
  3. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    Thanks. :) Credit goes to all of the writers involved. :)

jhmattern, Dec 1, 2006 IP
  4. DarrenC

DarrenC Peon

Best Answers:
    Wow, I never knew Zainie was only 18 - I'm even more impressed with her work than I was before.

DarrenC, Dec 2, 2006 IP
  5. Mystique

Mystique Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Amazing fact, as it is also this project up and running :O

I was very busy offline when all this was cooking but ready to join the site, whether as witness or upcoming active participant of a project that will benefit to all of us taking freelance writing jobs :)

Mystique, Dec 2, 2006 IP
  6. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    If you're interested in joining the Challenge, you can do so at www.AllFreelancing.com. The official blog just documents the five of us running the Challenge, but we set up an area in the forum where you can discuss your own plans and progress and get support and advice from others who might want to do the same thing.
    On another note, the newsletter launches later today, so if you want to sign up beforehand, be sure to do that this morning. My host seems to be having some trouble right now (doesn't happen often, so hoping it's just maintenance and will be up soon), but in the meantime you can use the signup form on our Myspace page at www.myspace.com/sixfigurewriters

We're also going to be offering a free report for newsletter signups later today.

Markets will be posted a little later today as well.

Everything seems to be working alright now, so you can sign up for the newsletter from the link in my sig again. :) Also, I just posted today's writers' markets, so be sure to check them out. And remember, you can only view the markets in the AllFreelancing.com forum if you register there first.

Jenn

We're launching a contest between SFW and AllFreelancing.com. Essentially, we're allowing writers to enter by posting a response in the AF thread here: http://www.allfreelancing.com/showthread.php?tid=220

All of the details are there. Feel free to ask if you have any questions. :)

Markets were posted for today and yesterday, so enjoy. :)

If you missed the first issue of our newsletter, be sure to subscribe before this coming Monday so you don't miss any others. You can sign up at www.sixfigurewriters.com or www.myspace.com/sixfigurewriters.

Also, don't forget that we launched the adopt-a-writer contest through the Challenge area of the freelance writing forum. The contest is for new writers, or writers earning significantly less than their potential who want some one on one help from the SFW writers to reach their freelance writing goals. The link to the rules is in the previous post. :)

jhmattern, Dec 4, 2006 IP
  7. highflyer

highflyer Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks Darren. :D That means a lot!

highflyer, Dec 7, 2006 IP
  8. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    I'm going to start posting articles more regularly at SFW with the start of the new year. Between now and then, I'm going to open it up to suggestions. You can post here or contact me privately with your ideas.

With the new year approaching quickly, as a freelance writer what are you biggest concerns? Goal setting? Tax deductions for writers? Getting more organized?

I'm also considering posting a few "new year's resolutions" from various writers who are interested in discussing their goals and plans in 2007 (whether it be earning more to breaking into new markets). If you have any resolutions, and you'd like to have us post them to share your story, you can send your name, site URL, and story privately.

And don't forget to join the Challenge at www.allfreelancing.com if you'd like to share strategies, goals, and support with other writers striving towards a six figure income. There's no pressure... only encouragement, and hopefully a bit of fun.

Jenn

A few minor changes and updates today:

Writers' Markets
    Rather than trying to post multiple markets on all three sites each day, I'm going to cut back to one on each (still three markets per day, but you'll need to check each site - the official blog, myspace blog, and AllFreelancing.com forum). I'm doing this for 2 reasons:

1. It takes a lot of my time to dig for markets that meet the $.10 / word minimum and higher, and

2. We want daily (or close to daily) markets posted through the course of the Challenge in 2007, and I don't want to "run out" of markets. :D

The "how" of the Challenge

The Challenge is approaching pretty quickly, and we haven't shared much on a personal level as to what our goals our, what our approaches will be, etc. So I'm going to try to start that off today discussing my own plans, and hopefully everyone will get a chance to do the same before we officially kick things off. So if you're curious about the "how", that might be of interest to some of you.

Adopt-a-writer contest

Just a reminder that this coming Sunday is the last day to jump in and be chosen. A week from today, we'll be narrowing it down to five people, and then if you want to have a vote for the second round be sure to register for the forum. We're mostly looking for writers who are earning $.05 / word and less, but who would like some help breaking into new markets, or simply earning more.

SFC Newsletter

Our second newsletter will be going out sometime this afternoon. I'll also be archiving last week's newsletter if you missed it (will be on sixfigurewriters.com). We'll also be offering a short free report from Rebecca (internetauthor) to new newsletter signups (and will include a download link in this newsletter for any previous subscribers). The report is "So You Want to Write Professionally: Correctly Establishing Yourself as a Freelance Writer". We'll periodically swap this out with new reports written by one of the Challenge participants, so sign up if you don't want to miss any of them.

EDIT: I just uploaded the report, and it will be going out to newsletter subscribers later today. It's a great piece for beginning writers, or those who think they're not making as much as they could be. It also touches upon the topic often asked here of "what exactly makes a professional writer?" Be sure to sign up and check it out. And thanks to Rebecca for kicking off the report series (I'll be trying to post new ones at the beginning of each month starting in January, and old ones will be removed, so you can only get them for free for a limited period).

Jenn

I finally got the archived newsletter from last week up today. I was going to wait a week after distribution to archive them, but I put yesterday's up too just to give you an idea of what we're covering. If you sign up for the newsletter, you'll get them every Monday. Otherwise, if you just want to periodically check in, you can find the archives now at http://sixfigurewriters.com/newsletter-archives/

Also, starting January 1st, I'll be releasing the second newsletter (only for people who signed up specifically for that one), which will have decent weekly writing gigs that I'll dig up from a variety of sources (not "writers markets", but immediate gigs/jobs). So sign up for that one if you're interested in freelance writing jobs.

On another note, I just set up the new field finally at the AllFreelancing.com forums to allow anyone "joining" the Six Figure Challenge with us to track their progress with a progress bar on their profile. If you want to challenge yourself, feel free to post there about your goals. You'll find details on how to set up and change the progress bar there in the forum.

Newsletter updates:

1. This week's newsletter will go out today. I apologize for the delay, but I was waiting on one of the pieces.

2. Because our regular newsletter day is Monday, and this coming Monday is Christmas Day, we won't be sending out a regular newsletter. Instead I'll be compiling a listing of some of our best writers' markets over the past few months, and sending that as a tool to help writers kick-start their new year's efforts in their writing careers.

3. The following newsletter is on January 1st. It will also be untraditional. Because that day is the official start of the Six Figure Challenge, the newsletter will provide more details and background on each of the members, our plans and approaches, tips for writers who want to follow along with us (and remember you can "join" the Challenge yourself at www.allfreelancing.com), etc. I'll actually try to get my own plans, methods, and expectations posted today on the blog.

4. Remember that the current free report is only free to newsletter subscribers through the end of this month. I'll be writing next month's report for subscribers, which will cover ways to use search engines to find "hidden" writers' markets, as well as writers' market collections - something easy to do, but that most writers don't do effectively. Reports are only on our server for a one month period before being switched. Any of my own reports will then be offered at $9.99 through my profile page or one of my other sites (just as all marketing and similar reports I issue will be). If the report is written by another member, their policies on their reports is up to them. So sign up for the newsletter if you want free access as they're released. :)

Jenn

jhmattern, Dec 11, 2006 IP
  9. internetauthor

internetauthor Peon

Best Answers:
    We recently posted the five freelance writers who are moving on to the
    second round of our adopt-a-writer contest. We just wanted to announce that a DP writer made the cut:
    Laytoya. :D Also, Jenn was interviewed yesterday by SoloGigNews.com (in
    conjunction with the popular freelance site SoloGig.com) about the Six
    Figure Challenge, and we'll post a link to that article when it's live on
    the site.

Thanks!
    Rebecca

internetauthor, Dec 22, 2006 IP
    jhmattern likes this.
  10. softwareprojects

softwareprojects Active Member

Best Answers:
    Attention all copywriters & content writers,

My name is Mike Peters and I represent SoftwareProjects, a New York-based Internet Marketing and Web Development firm employing 200 engineers and supporting 2,000 businesses in 14 countries.

We are actively looking for copywriters and content-writers.

Qualifications:
    * Excellent writing skills (duh!).
    Seriously though, we like short, down to the point, involving writing. It's not about how many words are in your press-release. It's about delivering a strong call to action.

* Posted 100+ original articles

* Author in EzineArticles big plus. PRWeb published releases big plus.

* Internet saavy. HTML/SEO skills a big plus. (Not because you'll be required to do any HTML work. Simply because we're looking for writers who know the industry)

-- That's it.

PM me if you feel we have a good fit.

softwareprojects, Dec 22, 2006 IP
  11. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    First of all, a PRweb-published press release doesn't mean squat... anyone and their brother can get one added to PRweb.

Second... please don't hijack our thread looking to fill services that are precisely what the Challenge is against in the first place!

jhmattern, Dec 22, 2006 IP
    DarrenC likes this.
  12. highflyer

highflyer Peon

Best Answers:
    GO Jenn!!! :D

highflyer, Dec 23, 2006 IP
  13. softwareprojects

Best Answers:
    Hi Jenn,

My apologies. Definitely didn't mean to hijack the thread.

I find the challenge very inspiring and since I am in a position to hire several writers I thought it would be a good fit and a way to get a head-start on the 6 figure goal.

Once again I'm sorry if I stepped on any toes. Keep up the great work you're doing. I truly admire your energy and passion.

softwareprojects, Dec 23, 2006 IP
  14. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    Unless you're paying a bare minimum of $.10 / word to the writers, we don't want it associated with the Challenge. We're very selective in the markets we promote to help make higher goals more realistic. Advertise that in the content area, and you'll likely get plenty of people interested. ;)

jhmattern, Dec 23, 2006 IP
  15. internetauthor

internetauthor Peon

Best Answers:
    Wouldn't it be great if he was paying more than $0.10 per word? He can be a trend setter! LOL!

Rebecca

internetauthor, Dec 23, 2006 IP
  16. softwareprojects

Best Answers:
    Hi Jenn,

We are looking to pay a lot more than $0.10 per word. I think $0.10 per word is low. In fact I think you're doing yourself an injustice pricing work by words. You should always price by project.

Buyers (like me) prefer this method and you would end up with a higher per-word fee.

I have to say I'm very disappointed to see I got 2 negative rep points from you and another member of this thread.

I'm a senior account manager of a multi million dollar company, looking to hire qualified writers and am willing to pay big bucks for quality service. The reason I posted on your thread is because I saw an opportunity to find good passionate writers while contributing to your six figure challenge.

I'm new to DP and don't know all the rules and proper etiquette.

I understand you have been burned in the past with buyers on DP wanting to underpay for work, but I have to say this attitude of shooting someone like me with big pockets down, doesn't seem like the right way to go about this.

I'm happy to pay top dollars for a quality product. Already hired a member of your group and am in a position to hire 2 additional full time writers over the next few weeks.

Let's keep it all positive and realize (most) people come to DP to network and do business together. If it's a good fit great, otherwise we can all move on. No need to shoot someone down with negative rep points when he's looking to do business with you.

softwareprojects, Dec 27, 2006 IP
  17. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    Actually, it's not an injustice. Very many professional writers (and top publications) work on a per word rate. ;) I've always also earned significantly more on per word work. The $.10 number is incredibly low actually, and the only reason that minimum is set is because we work with some writers trying to take that first step up from even far lower rate schemes.

You were given negative rep for hijacking the thread. You're not allowed to post offers in someone else's thread. I give negative rep very rarely... but hijacking my thread will do it. It wasn't related to the specifics of the post, and wasn't personal. Now you know... it's not a big deal in the end.

Nobody "shot you down." You did something you shouldn't have done. You were called on it. You didn't know it was a problem; now you do. You probably won't do it again. Problem solved. Post a new thread, and you'll likely get quite a few people responding. Be prepared for a lot of unqualified applicants though if you post good rates. You might find long-standing freelance writing forums a better fit depending on the specific writing style and niche you're looking for (like www.absolutewrite.com - not affiliated with them).

If you want to network in a forum, you need to understand negative rep isn't always personal. It's just business, and won't affect you much at all in the long run. Most, if not all, of us have gotten plenty of negative rep as well. Just continue to contribute postively, and you'll get more than enough green to make up for it. ;)

jhmattern, Dec 27, 2006 IP
  18. DeniseJ

DeniseJ Live, Laugh, Love

Best Answers:
    DeniseJ, Dec 30, 2006 IP
  19. marketjunction

marketjunction Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hey DJ,

On more day and the clock starts ticking. ;)

marketjunction, Dec 30, 2006 IP
  20. DeniseJ

DeniseJ Live, Laugh, Love

Best Answers:
    Hush Jason. I know. :p

DeniseJ, Dec 30, 2006 IP