1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

PR is meaningless!

Discussion in 'Link Development' started by Seiya, Dec 22, 2006.

I blogged today on my toughts about PageRank and how tired I am people will not trade links, or buy links from a site because the PR hasnt been updated yet.... its plain silly.

Stop worrying about the green bar. Live PageRank explained.

Please share your toughts, and i hope after reading it you will not discriminate on well promoted new sites anymore ;)

Thanks for reading! :)

Seiya, Dec 22, 2006 IP
  2. Rogem

Rogem Peon

Best Answers:
    I think PR is important. I think it's an analysis of your page and does have an effect on your rank.

I'm sure there are other factors that also effect your rankings.

Rogem, Dec 22, 2006 IP
  3. bacanze

bacanze Peon

Best Answers:
    Its is important, as it does have an effect on ranking & is important for directory owners

bacanze, Dec 22, 2006 IP
  4. Seiya

Seiya Peon

Best Answers:
    You two obviously didnt even bother reading the article. :)

Seiya, Dec 22, 2006 IP
  5. Scorpiono

Scorpiono Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with some of the points there, but I disagree with the fact that "PR doesn't matter" and that the algoritm of PR is just "how many times the spider visits".. a good post imo, but a bit more research would do better.

Scorpiono, Dec 22, 2006 IP
    Seiya likes this.
  6. nicknick

nicknick Peon

Best Answers:
    It's apparently one of 100 factors that Google looks at. I wouldn't say it's meaningless but it is not as important as it once was.

But Google likes to change so it may come back. I look for relevance first and PR second. Age of a site is also important when I look for links. I'm not quite ready to totally brush off PR though.

nicknick, Dec 22, 2006 IP
  7. banless

banless Peon

Best Answers:
    Nice read. You are correct when you say that page rank changes daily, and the fact that if your link is on a high pr page it will keep the spiders coming to your site and therefore will cause your site to be recached more often. And yes it is a shame that people do not submit to directories because the pr has not been updated.

However I disagree with this statment "This leads to the next accurate tool to check Live PageRank, the “last cached” tool" The last cached page can not tell you what your future page rank will be, it can only tell you how fast your link on that pr page was picked up. As I have said in post in the past, you can not look at yahoo or msn to find out what kind of page rank a site will get, sure you can use them as a guide to some degree, but people need to understand that google does not care about the links that yahoo and msn show in terms of page rank. They only care about the links that have been recorded in there system which is google backlinks, if you get the right pr google backlinks then you will have a more accurate idea of what your page rank will be.

If you do not have any google backlinks right now then it is a tough call, although there is a way to find out, (don't ask). Those looking for links only on pr pages clearly do not have a full understanding on how page rank works.

But I think we all have to face the fact that pr will always be a way for most people to determine how powerful your site is, and whether or not if your site is worth a link trade or buying a lisitng. It sucks I know, but that is the way it is now. I wrote a small article about Directory Page Ranks give it a read as well.

banless, Dec 22, 2006 IP
  8. Bangkok Baby

Bangkok Baby Peon

Best Answers:
    You are right. Page rank is no longer an important factor. A website or a directory with PR0 on google toolbar might have already achived a PR4 (live PR) but just because google did not update the PR, the tool bar might not being showing enough green.

But the number of backlinks alone is also can not be taken as an important factor. It is actually the number of links from quality relevant sites that matters.
    Though PR is not the best way to judge a site, a high PR often is an implication of a quality site.
    My suggestion would be concentrate on getting links from high quality relevant theme links than looking for just PR.

Bangkok Baby, Dec 22, 2006 IP
    Seiya likes this.
  9. okthanks

okthanks Peon

Best Answers:
    word ^^^^^^^^^

okthanks, Dec 22, 2006 IP
  10. mondala

mondala Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think the circles of chatter in the article surrounding the cache/how PR works is a little technically vague...... the formulas for PR calculation are surely quite involved and consider many many things, but I think the point is an excellent one in that PR is not an all determining factor and most experience seo/sem gurus understand the possibilities and probabilities and can take all into consideration when evalutation a site etc... however I agree that there is too much emphasis on PR, especially by those that don't understand it. I still enjoy PR details when discussing sites though, PR is a good starting point when beginning to research link partners/site sales/etc.

Anyway, good article. Cheers

mondala, Dec 22, 2006 IP
    Seiya likes this.
  11. softwareprojects

softwareprojects Active Member

Best Answers:
    FYI

The reason Google doesn't show the real PR in the toolbar is to fight hacks

softwareprojects, Dec 22, 2006 IP
  12. Seiya

Seiya Peon

Best Answers:
    Not that... because responding to billion querties a day would kill it ;)

Seiya, Dec 22, 2006 IP
  13. 3plains

3plains Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    So when I buy a domain brand new, launch that domain name, build a quality website with unique content, link build, when can I expect to get Google PR displayed?

3plains, Dec 22, 2006 IP
  14. nicknick

nicknick Peon

Best Answers:
    Whenever they feel like showing it to you ;)

But seriously, they are on a 3 to 4 month update schedule so that's how long it should take assuming you built links that they picked up in time.

nicknick, Dec 22, 2006 IP
  15. mani

mani Peon

Best Answers:
    i thinks it important if you are a link Seller :) because most of people here believe on PR

mani, Dec 22, 2006 IP
  16. 3plains

3plains Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If I want to buy a link for a outdoor industry website, where should I look or buy from? Is buying links worth it? I realize that you can do it without buying, but would buying help jumpstart the site(s)?

3plains, Dec 22, 2006 IP
  17. qwestcommunications

qwestcommunications Notable Member

Best Answers:
    PR does matter to an extent, but I think there is too much emphasis given to it.

qwestcommunications, Dec 23, 2006 IP
  18. Franck S

Franck S Peon

Best Answers:
    I've just eft a comment there!

What about this LSI thing and the master plan. According to that, building links is becoming less important than before.

Also, why Google choose to "cache" some links?

Franck S, Dec 23, 2006 IP
  19. adacprogramming

adacprogramming Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think only looking at the Geen bar is a little short sighted. There are many other factors that are a better determination on whether a link would be good or not.

If the site is highly relevant
    The link placement is in a place that it is part of the content and doesn't look like a link trade
    The overall site shows that the person is activly promoting the site, it is not just a quickly thrown up site that will be forgotten.
    The link will be on a page that is well linked within the site
    The current links (as seen by Yahoo or MSN) are high quality links from content pages not just from link pages.
    etc.

If a trade will get me onto a page that has these qualifications it will do far more benefit than a higer ranking page that does not have these qualifications. A higher quality site will also likely have a desent PR in the future even if it is only a PR 0 now due to age.

adacprogramming, Dec 23, 2006 IP
  20. Codythebest

Codythebest Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Codythebest, Dec 23, 2006 IP