1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Suggestion Design Contest section needs new sets of rules

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by qwerty111, Aug 19, 2022.

I think DP staff members should start formalizing a new set of rules for all the contest holders. Lately, there are a lot of abandoned contests! Many honest designers are putting their heart and soul into designing logos. Each design takes a lot of time and energy right from the conceptual stage to the final output. But all their efforts are in vain because many contest holders are simply abandoning their contest without declaring a winner. Every contest should have a winner at any cost.

There are a few contest holders who are simply running contests for their clients and not for their own business. In case of no response from their clients, the respective contest holders are simply abandoning the contest without any updates. This in no way affects the contest holder, whereas the designers who participated in the contest are ending up with nothing. This is totally unfair to the designers.

I strongly urge DP staff members to come up with some rules as soon as possible to curb these unfair events to safeguard the designer's time and effort.

qwerty111, Aug 19, 2022 IP
  2. qwerty111

qwerty111 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    qwerty111, Aug 29, 2022 IP
    DianaGy likes this.
  3. Smyrl

Smyrl Tomato Republic Staff

Best Answers:
    Moderators follow the rules set by digitalpoint.

These are among the guidelines posted in regard to the marketplace.

The marketplace is a "use at your own risk" setup. We will not get involved in disputes between members.

ALWAYS use an escrow service. Remember you are buying things from random people on the Internet that you don't know (people on the Internet can pretend to be anything they want... in reality they might be a homeless scammer that lives under a bridge, jacking someone's open WiFi). Again... USE AN ESCROW SERVICE whenever possible for things that the seller has to deliver (domains, sites, custom work, etc.)

Design contests are particularly tricky. All too many appear to use sock images or images found elsewhere on the web.

Smyrl, Aug 29, 2022 IP
    matt_62 and sarahk like this.
  4. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Rules have to have penalties - what penalty do you think can be fairly applied that is appropriate for an abandoned contest?

sarahk, Aug 29, 2022 IP
  5. qwerty111

qwerty111 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    How about giving infractions to contest holders who simply abandoned the contest without honoring a winner? If a contest holder keeps on abandoning logo contests for more than 3 contests, he/she should be banned from the design contest section.

qwerty111, Aug 29, 2022 IP
    DianaGy and FlashD like this.
  6. FlashD

FlashD Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I totally agree....The last three contest I entered is abandoned by the CH...

FlashD, Aug 31, 2022 IP
  7. Faith Centeno

Faith Centeno Member

Best Answers:
    I have a suggestion.

If we cannot require a contest holder to pay regardless if a design is chosen or not, maybe we can encouraged contest holders to put “PRIZE GUARANTEED” on titles if they are willing to declare a winner regardless of the designs submitted.

In this way, the designers can choose which contest to participate. If they want to participate in a contest that is not guaranteed, it’s up to them.

I think in this way, it is fair for both parties. Contest Holders are not forced to declare winners and Designers can choose and they will know what contest will be worth their time.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2022
    Faith Centeno, Aug 31, 2022 IP
    matt_62 and DianaGy like this.
  8. matt_62

matt_62 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with many of the ideas listed here. In possibly more then one scenario, I believe the contest was a fake, to generate ideas for the posters own job. As in, they need ideas for their own day job, so they lure people here to generate the ideas, then they make their own version and on sell that to their clients and earn. The people here that worked hard, get nothing, but the person running the comp doesnt need the files, just the ideas, if you get my meaning.

When it costs nothing, to lure people to generate ideas, then you will get many time wasters.

matt_62, Sep 25, 2022 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  9. qwerty111

qwerty111 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Additionally, DP staffs could identify contest holders who held a minimum of 10 design contest in the past without abandoning the contest and award them a sign like "Trusted Contest Holder". This gives an indication for the participant to know the reliability of contest holder.
    @sarahk

qwerty111, Sep 25, 2022 IP
    jrbiz and FlashD like this.
  10. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I infrequently do contests, but actually ran one recently. The submissions were all garbage except for one entry that won (and was paid for.) Had that one entry not been there, what should I have done? Awarded money for a garbage entry?

jrbiz, Oct 13, 2022 IP
  11. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    The risk with contests is two fold. The designers put time and effort in hoping to be the best, the contest holder commits to pick the best hoping that one will be usable.

sarahk, Oct 13, 2022 IP
  12. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    First time that I ever had this issue of a single possibility, btw. All of the other contests that I ran had multiple good entries.

jrbiz, Oct 13, 2022 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  13. achugg

achugg Member

Best Answers:
    I love the design/contests section of the forum. A lot of talented people in there posting great design work for clients. I also agree that clients should be infracted if they don't interact or abandon designers. As a designer myself, that would be much more reassuring that we're using our time wisely.

Thank you to the staff and moderators that run the forums, we love it here. :)

achugg, Jan 19, 2023 IP