1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Working from home: Pros and Cons

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by LDsallday, May 23, 2022.

I've been working from home for the last year or so but have been asked whether id like to continue this or return to the office. I personally feel more free at home but also much more alone. Do people have any pros/cons they think i should consider or any stories of your own to share. id always be happy learning what others have been through in regards to this, especially throughout covid lockdowns and its aftermath.

LDsallday, May 23, 2022 IP
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    There's working from home but as part of a team and working from home solo. I'm the latter (since '03) and I've missed throwing ideas around with colleagues, casual conversations about tech, having a mentor, being a mentor, having someone to peer review code & give quick bits of advice.

If you're working from home but everyone else is in the office you risk isolating yourself from your colleagues and being forgotten when new project tasks are selected, promotions are handed out.

But... you will get hours back that can be spent on upskilling, fitness, your kids, housework, or just relaxing.

I'd seriously consider a 3/2 arrangement where you have 3 days at home and 2 days in the office. You won't lose the personal relationships and you'll gain some of the flexibility.

sarahk, May 23, 2022 IP
    Deos likes this.
  3. LDsallday

LDsallday Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you thats a great way to look at it. i dont think the boss is taking compromises but il certainly ask. im working from home mostly alone but still technically as part of a team but thats as far as it goes.

LDsallday, May 23, 2022 IP
  4. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Here in Canada virtual court cases have been so successful at alleviating the judicial backlog, that they are considering making it into law. The exception would be for poor people who cannot afford a computer, or the online monthly bill that goes along with it.

As to the business world, Canada is definitely staying viral. All of my doctors appointments are now virtual or by phone. I no longer see my tenants in person unless I have to. I simply e-mail them these days and they to me.

Spoiltdiva, May 23, 2022 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  5. Hans Kooiman

Hans Kooiman Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    It totally depends on your job. I am a fin manager, hv my staff 60% working from home, input in systems, checking etc. easy to be done from home. I don't check them on working hours, just output. When work is done they are free to go. The 40% at work is good to discuss items. It works great for us.

Hans Kooiman, May 23, 2022 IP
  6. cashbox.money

cashbox.money Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Can't imagine not having a choice of time I want to wake up or have a break. Working from home provides more freedom. Also I prefer being alone and working from home is rather more comfortable.

cashbox.money, May 23, 2022 IP
  7. Spartan14

Spartan14 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I prefer working in an office mostly because you are way more productive as you need to folow o schedule comparing with working from home where you procrastinating a lot as you wake up late ,go out ,and you find many reasons to not work

Spartan14, May 23, 2022 IP
  8. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    In the B2B sales business, working remotely or from home has been the standard operating procedure since I started in the industry in the 1980's. Back then, however, there were no computers, no cell phones, no internet, no nothing but pay phones and snail mail to communicate with on the road. Not even faxes existed when I started. Yet, the members of my sales teams managed to stay connected with each other because we had to. Now, with all the ways team members can stay in touch, it is crazy easy to do so.

If you are feeling isolated and out of touch, reach out to other team members and have regular, in-person, real time conversations by phone, video conference or chat, about business and other issues that you would normally discuss over the watercooler in the office. It will become a habit that the whole team will eventually pick up and your feelings of isolation may diminish.

Last edited: May 26, 2022
    jrbiz, May 26, 2022 IP
  9. mmerlinn

mmerlinn Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    The biggest possible downside I see about working from home is that the structure and discipline enforcement at the office is lacking. Most people I know do not have the self-discipline required when working at home, which, of course, affects their productivity and could even affect their mental state.

mmerlinn, May 27, 2022 IP
  10. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I think that there is a big difference as to why remote salespeople typically have no issues with being productive and efficient without being in the office: nothing like the possibility of a smaller paycheck next pay period (stemming from a lack of commissionable sales) to focus the mind on one's results no matter where you are sitting. :)

jrbiz, May 28, 2022 IP
  11. jaguar34

jaguar34 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    From 2005 till 2016 I was a website investor. I passed school and had been working as website investor since then. I had 2 scams on DP and stopped buying anything from Digitalpoint. I switched to flippa and invested more than $10k with profits of $750000
    But in 2016 amazon came and killed affiliate marketing. Tell me a office job in India which is not scamming people over phone and pays you real salary? I had been unemployed since 2016 with no income since then.

jaguar34, May 28, 2022 IP
  12. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    ^^^Anyone who believes the above, please contact me. I have a big steel tower in Paris to sell to you and if you act now, I'll even throw in a big bridge in San Francisco.:cool:

Spoiltdiva, May 28, 2022 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  13. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    If I combine the one in SF with the one you sold me previously in Brooklyn will they be a matched set?

jrbiz, May 28, 2022 IP
  14. jaguar34

jaguar34 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yes those were the days of Yahoo Answers when I learned the trick of movie piracy and CPA in 2006 from 1 website. I also use to do other CPA on Orkut. but now Facebook keeps banning me for Spamming movie piracy websites.

jaguar34, May 28, 2022 IP
  15. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    If you're buying, I'm selling. I very much like those Uncle Sam dollars.:)

Spoiltdiva, May 28, 2022 IP
  16. mmerlinn

mmerlinn Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    And here I thought you were in love with the Loonies.

mmerlinn, May 28, 2022 IP
    Spoiltdiva likes this.
  17. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    There are plenty of legit programming jobs in India.

sarahk, May 28, 2022 IP
  18. terryneo3

terryneo3 Peon

Best Answers:
    Working from home may lead to a significant decrease in work efficiency. People like me may not have the same self-discipline as working in the office. At the same time, the boundary between work and life will be blurred. For me, it's better not to work from home.

terryneo3, Jul 29, 2022 IP
  19. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Isn't it great that employers are now able to make the choice available!

sarahk, Jul 29, 2022 IP
  20. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    It is going to be interesting to see how this potential culture change plays out. As someone in sales/marketing who has mostly worked remotely throughout my career, I have always been a strong proponent of remote work. And that was before the advent of mobile phones, email, Internet, chat, etc.! Currently, There is an interesting dichotomy in business management philosophy on this.

First, of course, it must be stipulated that there are many, many jobs in which remote work is not possible: assembly lines, public safety, healthcare, etc., etc., must be performed in person and onsite. However, for the jobs that can be done remotely, I see some companies eagerly pushing employees to come back into the office and some that are starting to recognize the benefits of remote or at least hybrid work. I think that smartly managed companies will recognize that remote working is the wave of the future and the cost savings, alone, will be significant for both company and employee. Companies' can save massive office costs with remote working. Employees will save commuting costs and, even more important, the loss in time associated with commuting. I think that as this plays out, there will be Darwinian consequences for old-line managers who insist that you must be in the office to work, despite little actual benefit from doing so. They will lose employees and have higher costs than competitors who embrace remote working. E.g., I kind of like Elon Musk, but his caveman approach to remote working (he insists on onsite working and implies that you are not actually working when not in the office) is even more hypocritical given his green-oriented company, Tesla. He is insisting that his employees pollute the air by driving in to the office and I think that it is a real blind spot in what is otherwise a very visionary person.

jrbiz, Jul 30, 2022 IP