1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Buing links vs Paying for listing in a directory

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Andrzej Wilczynski, Jun 19, 2022.

Is there a difference? When I want to be found in a directory or site that requires a payment to be listed is it considering buying a link. Also in many cases one need to pay for article to be written and posted on a blog.

Is there a line one can draw between paying for service and buying a link? And how to differentiate.

For example is this against Google policy for buying links?
    https://www.seolist.org/new_listing.asp?VOUCHER=JUN2022

Andrzej Wilczynski, Jun 19, 2022 IP
  2. Oso Optimized

Oso Optimized Active Member

Best Answers:
    This has been addressed so many times over the years, I have personally concluded that Google intends on degrading any paid link. I vaguely remember Matt Cutts suggesting this, but of course they can't always making such determinations. I just don't do it anymore, unless I think a client can get actual business from a site. I do not pay for link value only.

Oso Optimized, Jun 19, 2022 IP
  3. Andrzej Wilczynski

Andrzej Wilczynski Member

Best Answers:
    OK. But I do think about grey areas. For example I may sign up for a free directory and post a link, then I pay them to be always promoted at the top of results, maybe with an additional image and so on. Is it a paid link or not? Any hint on how Google determines what is paid and what is not? Of course I exclude obvious link farms or sites that clearly state pay and get a link.

Andrzej Wilczynski, Jun 19, 2022 IP
  4. Oso Optimized

Best Answers:
    I was an SEO when Panda dropped, and sites that depended on questionable (even if FREE) links took MAJOR hits in ranking. Everyone was scrambling to get the links removed. So having survived that, it just isn't worth the risk for me. But it is certainly possible that you could find sites that are still under Google's radar. Funny, at one time Google actually said they wanted to one day take links out of the equation in ranking. Hilarious, since they have done the exact opposite and made links even more important, which of course makes people still consider risking when it comes to link building..

I do not believe they have made any statements on how they determine if a link is paid, but I could be wrong. You would have to do some digging (internet searches) to discover more on that. But they keep the majority of the algorithm factors secret.

Oso Optimized, Jun 19, 2022 IP
  5. mrb1129

mrb1129 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I believe it's Penguin Sir.

mrb1129, Jun 20, 2022 IP
  6. Oso Optimized

Best Answers:
    Yea, I realized that after making the post..

Oso Optimized, Jun 21, 2022 IP
  7. Jim4767

Jim4767 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I began my website in 2004. Back then it was fashionable to buy links. I went along with that fashion. But over the years, paid links fell into disfavor with Google. I quit the practice and haven't bought a link in many, many years. And I likewise quit submitting to worthless free directories long ago.

By writing good content, I've received thousands of links from websites I've never contacted or visited. Good content does draw links.

Jim4767, Jun 28, 2022 IP
    Oso Optimized likes this.