1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How do you make money without exposing yourself?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by Julian Brockmann, Mar 20, 2022.

Often times I have ideas for business opportunities but I would expose myself doing it, ie share details that others could use against me.
    I came to it by evaluating my interests to find business ideas tailored to me.
    I figured the topics
    • How to cope with <disease>
    • How to handle mental health
    • How to paint
    Now, I've been mistreated by countless people in my life and often looked for solutions on how to stand up for myself and there were only vague and incorrect solutions that I found.

Therefore I don't want to show more weakness and give people another shot at doing harm to me.

Whenever I had a new idea and I shared it with friends, they said: "yeah, doing this is socially risky". And when I reviewed it, I saw their point.

It made me consider everything I do to be weak, like those people on TV who say "I have black friends" to by no means alienate people.

On the other hand of the spectrum is the founder of ashleymadison, who seems bulletproof. He could probably run a pedophilia enterprise and get away with it.

And yes, I view people who vlog or share their life in videos do something risky for their future. But some seem to not be vulnerable even though they share their emotions, I don't get how they do it.

On the other hand, can you even produce something that you enjoy but that - at the same time - does not expose you? Maybe starting a ransomware-business...

It seems like any of my interests make me a target, like those gay guys who are into makeup. Then you ask them "okay, what else do you like? Adele and women empowerment books."
    Probably the only content I could be comfortable with is martial arts, so I by no means show weakness. But I am not good at them and therefore I don't enjoy them.

And what I enjoy yet again makes me a target.

Do you make money without exposing yourself or if you do expose yourself, how do you avoid making yourself a target or how do you handle being a target to an anonymous, possibly worldwide crowd?

An older post about the same topic:

Sometimes when I write in message boards, I notice how great what I write is for seo.
    Most topics I write about are polarizing and I am afraid of social repercussions if I wrote it on my personal blog.
    I would love to get the visitors, so I can put ads on it and other marketing measures to make money with my work.
    In the european union, where I live, to make money with content on your website, you need to disclose your full address there.
    Too easy for a mean intended group of people to pay me a visit.

Examples of content:
    • diseases I have overcome
    • opinions on political matters
    • sexual fantasies
    How could I avoid social(not legal) repercussions due to writing about sensitive topics, while still making money with it using affiliate and ad money?

Last edited: Mar 21, 2022
    Julian Brockmann, Mar 20, 2022 IP
  2. mmerlinn

mmerlinn Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Keep your pants zipped up.

mmerlinn, Mar 20, 2022 IP
  3. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    There's a lot to unpack there. I can't tell if you're friends are gaslighting you or genuinely have your back, I hope it's the latter.

We get guys from socially conservative countries coming here,asking how to start an adult site and 5 years later wanting their posts scrubbed because they've been found out.

The examples you give are pretty straightforward - except for mental health issues. I'm old and self employed so have no problem talking about adhd - if you're in your 20s you might need to be more discrete. My bipolar friend with a phd who is the ceo of a reasonably large company in a difficult industry is careful about how much she says too.

I recently finished a book called Breakpoint by Ollie Ollerson and he talks about hosting the UK reality show who dares wins. They've done celebrity specials and he talked about how the influencers were mentally resilient and tougher than you'd expect.

Maybe that's how they can share so much and be unafraid of the consequences. I suspect, too, that if you out yourself people can no longer use your "secret" to control you.

As for the Ashley Madison dude, we live in a world where people will look the other way if someone is wealthy enough. Luckily not everyone will but enough to protect people who deserve scrutiny.

Find a career that will make you proud, that you can tell your grandparents about and even if they don't quite understand it still makes them proud too.

sarahk, Mar 21, 2022 IP
    cronik, JEET and Smyrl like this.
  4. Julian Brockmann

Julian Brockmann Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    My grandparents died 6 years ago.

Julian Brockmann, Mar 21, 2022 IP
  5. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    and I never had any... but I'm sure you appreciate the point I was making.

sarahk, Mar 21, 2022 IP
    JEET likes this.
  6. VortexAlpha

VortexAlpha Member

Best Answers:
    I understand your point, and I really like the ideas that you have for writing blogs and developing some sensitive topics, I think you can do it without exposing yourself, without any problems. We often time see people that have their sites or social media profiles where they don't give any personal details about them, I can't see why you wouldn't be able to make a site or make posts on some social network under some imaginary name, nickname, and some generic picture that can't give away your identity. You don't even need to leave your contact details, if someone wants to get in touch with you they could do it through comments or direct messages on mentioned platforms. Writing doesn't require people to know who you are, you don't have to go on meetings here or make some calls, so you can be safe and free to write about whatever you please.

VortexAlpha, Mar 22, 2022 IP
  7. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Never underestimate the ability to dox someone and if you've deliberately hidden your identity people will wonder why.
    Have you heard of this doco "Don't F**k with Cats: Hunting an Internet Killer"? If you cross a line and offend people you will be doxxed.

You'll do much better taking a personal approach and being accountable.

sarahk, Mar 22, 2022 IP
  8. Ironfury

Ironfury Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Wow! Such deep thoughts. I can state that whatever you are you have to do what you want to do. It's a postulate of a comfortable living and living on full actually.

Of course, there are dozens of "taboo" in the world and in particular countries, however if you can explain what you mean - there will be no questions at all. If your friends tell you that the topic is super risky and it might be rejected by the society and you as a writer will be accused of something, then it doesn't mean that you should give up the idea to continue researching on this topic.
    Dig deeper and then provide people with the real facts, which are proven by scientists and philosophers. There is an interesting fact, that all the pages in Wikipedia lead to philosophy. It's quite difficult to explain people what you mean, in case they are lack of literacy in the related field.

Ironfury, May 27, 2022 IP
  9. Julian Brockmann

Julian Brockmann Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    You have good ideas but you misunderstood the problem. The problem is that you are required by german law to tell people who you are if you want to make money on the internet.

Julian Brockmann, May 27, 2022 IP
  10. Deos

Deos Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    It's super easy to stay anonymous but it cost a bit.
    You can open an offshore company and hire a proxy owner and director.
    On a website, you can put the information about the company.
    You can write whatever you want and stay anonymous.
    As long as what you do is not illegal or breaks the law in any other way.

Deos, May 28, 2022 IP
    JEET likes this.
  11. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    It's harder to keep your mouth shut and not give away tiny clues that people can piece together

sarahk, May 28, 2022 IP
    matt_62, JEET, Deos and 1 other person like this.
  12. Deos

Deos Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Yes, when offshore incorporation is also something I do :)
    In general, solving problems lol

Deos, May 28, 2022 IP
  13. susan2

susan2 Active Member

Best Answers:
    You can start Dropshipping, Blogging or Freelancing and start earnign without expose yourself.

susan2, Jun 8, 2022 IP
  14. Spartan14

Spartan14 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well i found that its best to hide your business from friemds because of the envy .In these days people are very bad and they will envy you for your succes and they will send negative energy to you by theit thoughts

Spartan14, Jun 11, 2022 IP
  15. Randall Magwood

Randall Magwood Active Member

Best Answers:
    People will have negative feelings about you no matter what you do. You could operate under a pen name if you don't want to use your real alias, but understand that by being in business - you take a risk in exposing yourself no matter what you do. I would ignore the haters and focus on being legal and profitable. At the end of the day that's all that matters.

Randall Magwood, Oct 22, 2022 IP