1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Advice on using a seven letter domain or two compound words.

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by Peter76, Dec 6, 2021.

Just picking experienced brains on here. I have two domain names but I’m not sure on which one to use. I have a seven letter .com example tddchat domain but I also have a domain that’s composed of 18 letters (two compound words) but describes exactly what the site is and has over 1 million searches terms on Google. Is it better for ranking on Google to use the compound word or is it better to use the tddchat domain?

thanks!

Peter76, Dec 6, 2021 IP
  2. mmerlinn

mmerlinn Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Depends on your target audience and on target subjects. Without looking at the patient and gathering more info, it is IMPOSSIBLE to give you definitive advice. All we can do is to GUESS.

mmerlinn, Dec 6, 2021 IP
  3. Peter76

Peter76 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I just don’t want to put down the exact domain. Here is a better example. Would it better to use a domain classictelevisionchat.com or tctchat.com? These again are just examples. Thanks.

Peter76, Dec 6, 2021 IP
  4. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    The long one looks spammy - I'd get it as a landing page but have the actual site on the shorter name.

sarahk, Dec 6, 2021 IP
    Peter76 likes this.
  5. Peter76

Best Answers:
    That won't hurt ranking at all correct? I'm must trying to figure out if it's better to use short than longer for google.

Peter76, Dec 6, 2021 IP
  6. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    It won't hurt ranking and your Average Joe probably won't even see what you've done but your more aware user might see the domain and assume it's some nasty lead generator, affiliate links, or ads site.

I was recently looking for something and deliberately didn't go to the sites with keywords-in-domain because my expectation was that they'd be crap.

BUUUT
    • am I your target market or is it the Average Joe?
    • There are other factors to consider too. Is your product/service international or regional? I'm not American so if I'm looking for something local I'll avoid the .com sites
    • Will your users ever have to type in the domain name or will it always be click through? The longer one might be easier to remember, but if the words are tricky you might lose traffic to sites that target misspelt keywords. I visited a business recently called "Feild ..." but you might get problems with colour vs color, and any number of other regional spellings.

sarahk, Dec 6, 2021 IP
  7. Peter76

Best Answers:
    It’s actually for an online discussion forum and most of the target audience is going to be in the US. As for the longer name it’s describes exactly what the subject of the forum is. As for the seven letter the first three letters are initials of the longer name ending with chat. The longer one is easy to remember because it’s the main subject of the forum.

Peter76, Dec 6, 2021 IP
  8. UpgradeIT.ro

UpgradeIT.ro Member

Best Answers:
    You use both domains but the long one will permanently redirect towards the short one which is more brandable.

UpgradeIT.ro, Dec 7, 2021 IP
    Peter76 likes this.
  9. VortexAlpha

VortexAlpha Member

Best Answers:
    Always a better idea to have a shorter domain, long ones could look spammy and that could hurt the SEO, and they are also bad from the user experience perspective as they are hard to remember and not that suitable for sharing, so I would definitely go for shorter ones.

VortexAlpha, Jan 5, 2022 IP
  10. Harvey Wolf

Harvey Wolf Member

Best Answers:
    Hi there, i understand one (the longer of the two) which you say 'describes exactly what the site is and has over 1 million searches terms on Google' may initially sound great, however you need to also take into consideration whether or not there may be similar sounding sites that may compete with yours. In which case they maybe more established, have more backlinks and generally more credibility (in terms of how old the site is and regularly content is updated and relevant to the overall site, ( at least in the eyes of the search engines at least )as your site I am assuming would be brand new.
    So personally, would go for the shorter name thereafter this is where marketing tactics and the like will come into play.
    There is a lot you can do to rank so if its just on name alone, I would say the second. Hope this is of some help.
    Regards.

Harvey Wolf, Jan 5, 2022 IP