1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Email remains a leading source for cybercrime

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Konnock, Mar 23, 2021.

Email remains a leading source for cybercrime, implicated in over 90% of all cyberattacks with the pandemic providing a new vantage point for these attacks.

Since the beginning of covid-19 email security providers reported a surge in pandemic-themed phishing attacks taking advantage of people adjusting to working from home, in environments where they’re easily distracted, with less-secure computer hardware and networks.

I would like to know if there are ways to secure your email? As a last resort, are there any alternatives?

Thank you in advance!

Konnock, Mar 23, 2021 IP
  2. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    What I do is to print all my e-mails that have banking info along with any other important information. After printing I then delete all my emails. This way if I get hacked, there is no info that they can use.

Spoiltdiva, Mar 23, 2021 IP
  3. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I can't remember the last time a phishing email made it past gmail's filters but I always hover over links to make sure they're kosher.

sarahk, Mar 23, 2021 IP
  4. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Got one yesterday to a business email account that had perfect English, had the correct contact, and knew a few other details. It looked like it was from a legitimate and relevant government agency, but the (hidden) actual email sender was from a .de domain. It was pretty good and may have worked with some.

jrbiz, Mar 25, 2021 IP
  5. Warren Willy

Warren Willy Member

Best Answers:
    What I've heard is that protonmail is said to be the most secure email. Or any other email, registered in Switzerland as they have much stronger rules, which concerns personal data. Another alternative is Utopia p2p mail, but as I know it works only within the ecosystem, so it won't suit everyone. You can look for other similar email providers. In such a case, less known can be sometimes more encrypted.

Warren Willy, Mar 29, 2021 IP
  6. Konnock

Konnock Member

Best Answers:
    I have heard many stories of how hackers gained access to a large number of personal data of users by hacking into their email account. What is this ecosystem? Is it safe?

Konnock, Mar 30, 2021 IP
  7. uday_yadav2

uday_yadav2 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    In this digital word, things will change in terms of security as time goes. So if you really want to secure your confidential information then try to use such kind of platform which is not digital link to any device because things are change and technology is becoming more advance and we don't know how they can find our information which is present digitally (via email, website, drive etc).

So the best way is try to avoid digit things for confidential information / personal information.

uday_yadav2, Apr 3, 2021 IP
  8. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    You mean pen and paper?

sarahk, Apr 3, 2021 IP
  9. mmerlinn

mmerlinn Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    That is wrong. Yes, you have "deleted" the emails, BUT unless you scrub your computer THEY CAN STILL BE FOUND BY A DEDICATED HACKER since all that deleting does is to delete the POINTERS to email and NOT the email itself.

Further deleting them on YOUR computer does NOT delete them from the email hoster NOR any forwarding computer between the sender and the receiver and there can be dozens of those computers. Just look at your headers to see how many hops it took to get to you. Every hop has a copy UNLESS that hop scrubbed their computers, which is not feasible for them to do.

That said, deleting them helps, but does not stop a dedicated hacker.

That is why I do NOTHING critical online.

Edit: All copies of emails enroute are encrypted, so the likelyhood of anyone finding then decrypting them is extremely small.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
    mmerlinn, Apr 3, 2021 IP
    Spoiltdiva likes this.
  10. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for that. (I think) I have often admitted on here that I am technically challenged. Now that I have all that info, I am now totally paranoid. :eek:

Spoiltdiva, Apr 3, 2021 IP
  11. uday_yadav2

uday_yadav2 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    @sarahk Yes, You are right.
    If someone really care about security and information, then Pen & paper is still best option according to me because deleting things from hard drive or email still recoverable. (I am so sorry, we are living in digital world and I am talking old things but each technology / product / service have their pro and cons)

uday_yadav2, Apr 3, 2021 IP
    mmerlinn likes this.
  12. mmerlinn

mmerlinn Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Exactly. See my post above.

mmerlinn, Apr 3, 2021 IP
  13. Warren Willy

Warren Willy Member

Best Answers:
    Here you can find their website: u.is and yes, emails can be sent only within the ecosystem. But if you want to be anonymous and secured, you have to do something and make the right decisions.

Warren Willy, Apr 5, 2021 IP
  14. Konnock

Konnock Member

Best Answers:
    Hmm, unexpectedly, I haven't heard of this app before.As it turned out, there is quite a lot of information about this on the Web.

Konnock, Apr 6, 2021 IP
  15. Warren Willy

Warren Willy Member

Best Answers:
    They've just started another bounty campaign.
    Bounty dates:
    12rd April 2021 to 7nd June 2021 (8 weeks)

The allocation is as follows:
    Signature Campaign : 50%
    Blogging (Medium, Reddit and others) : 20%
    Video Creation : 20%
    Twitter : 10%

All the other data can be found in the ANN thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5330069.0#subject_56764666

Warren Willy, Apr 12, 2021 IP
  16. Konnock

Konnock Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks. I'll learn a little more about it. But even now this offer seems to me very tempting and promising.

Konnock, Apr 13, 2021 IP
  17. Warren Willy

Warren Willy Member

Best Answers:
    I love the fact that it will last for so long. As their previous bounty ended so fast so as I didn't get to know about it. Moreover I like that I have different ways of gaining coins this time. Very interesting.

Warren Willy, Apr 14, 2021 IP
  18. Konnock

Konnock Member

Best Answers:
    By the way, have you already chosen which of the campaign competitions you will take part in? So far, I've focused on the Twitter campaign. And you?

Konnock, Apr 20, 2021 IP
  19. Warren Willy

Warren Willy Member

Best Answers:
    No, I'm still thinking of it. The prizes are not so big to spent much time on them. So I'll probably choose the easiest variant. Anyway, we still have enough time in order to decide.

Warren Willy, Apr 26, 2021 IP
  20. Konnock

Konnock Member

Best Answers:
    Well, this campaign can't be called a way to earn a lot of crypto. I am sure that if you are interested in this, then you are mining on a regular basis.

Konnock, Apr 27, 2021 IP