1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

what to choose open source or closed source?

Discussion in 'Programming' started by Konnock, Feb 21, 2021.

The release of open source software has become one of the most important IT directions. But as the popularity of open systems grows, the issues of their reliability and security are becoming more acute.
    So what can be considered more reliable and forward-looking: open source or still closed source?

What are your opinions?

Konnock, Feb 21, 2021 IP
  2. Efetobor Agbontaen

Efetobor Agbontaen Active Member

Best Answers:
    It looks like you might have the wrong opinion about this...

It is a general opinion that opensource is usually more secure than closed source because it is exposed to public scrutiny. Bugs are easily found and patched by several developers.

Bugs in Closed source Software are simply hidden. Reverse Engineer some closed source software and you would find lots and lots of juicy 0 Day Vulnerabilities.

Efetobor Agbontaen, Feb 21, 2021 IP
  3. Warren Willy

Warren Willy Member

Best Answers:
    But if to look from the point of developer? If you choose your product to be open sourse - you can lose it as others don't have to create their own code. And closed is protected. Maybe it differs for dev and users but I appreciate both of cases.

Warren Willy, Feb 28, 2021 IP
  4. Konnock

Konnock Member

Best Answers:
    What's the difficulty with closed source? As far as I know, everyone hates and avoids closed-source software for some reason. Believing that such applications will steal their data for sure. As, for example, is happening now with https://utopia-ecosystem.com/ So many functions in one place, not a single report about data leakage or hacking of accounts, but everyone is twisting their noses.

Konnock, Mar 2, 2021 IP
    Efetobor Agbontaen likes this.
  5. Efetobor Agbontaen

Best Answers:
    For sure you are right.
    But in this context, the OP is asking particularly about security and reliability of Closed and Open Source systems.

I have heard people in the past talk and talk about how open source is un secure so I had to point out that misconception.

When it comes to business and the perspective of a developer, Opensource sure has its drawbacks. Lol I don't have any Opensource software :D

Efetobor Agbontaen, Mar 2, 2021 IP
  6. Warren Willy

Warren Willy Member

Best Answers:
    That's strange that when you speak about a certain app that is closed source, people start talking that it's not trustworthy. But asking about what is better, open or closed - everyone says closed. Where's the logic? :)

Warren Willy, Mar 3, 2021 IP
  7. Konnock

Konnock Member

Best Answers:
    In most cases, people are guided not by their personal opinions, but by the advertising campaigns of large corporations. Therefore, such a dissonance arises.

Konnock, Mar 8, 2021 IP
  8. Efetobor Agbontaen

Best Answers:
    You are 100% correct. The huge Ad Campaigns influence consumers minds a lot

Efetobor Agbontaen, Mar 8, 2021 IP
  9. Warren Willy

Warren Willy Member

Best Answers:
    Moreover, I kindly believe that half or even more of those blaming the closed code don't even know anything about programming and even open code won't tell them anything XD

Warren Willy, Mar 12, 2021 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  10. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    That reads like an essay topic.

Open-source software with a vibrant community will be completely different from open-source software that has lost it's development team and has few users.
    Closed source software like, say Microsoft Office, that has a significant revenue stream and millions of users will be completely different from the software I coded 20+ years ago and stopped supporting 10 years ago.

Years ago there was an open-source CMS called Mambo that was really popular but internally there was strife and a bunch of key developers left. Suddenly users were faced with continuing with Mambo or following the developers and installing Joomla. Users who had picked Mambo because it was "reliable and forward-looking" suddenly found that their system might not be all they hoped.

sarahk, Mar 14, 2021 IP
  11. Konnock

Konnock Member

Best Answers:
    Of course you're right! Often, users are less trusting of closed source, because they are simply afraid to install an unknown file on their PC. This is absolutely normal, I think, but do not be too dramatic.

Konnock, Mar 16, 2021 IP
  12. Warren Willy

Warren Willy Member

Best Answers:
    Utopia p2p now has a chat room https://t.me/utopiachatoff where you can directly ask any questions about the closed code, including developers, and about the application on the whole. It is very informative and convenient.

Warren Willy, Mar 23, 2021 IP
  13. Konnock

Konnock Member

Best Answers:
    Hmm, I wonder why the developers created a channel in a competitive application? Is this some kind of plan?

Konnock, Mar 30, 2021 IP
  14. Warren Willy

Warren Willy Member

Best Answers:
    Probably to give an opportunity to all the potential users to speak to active ones. Or to ask their questions directly there before installing the soft. There is some logic.

Warren Willy, Mar 30, 2021 IP
  15. Konnock

Konnock Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, you're probably right. Judging by the fact that the developers are trying to show that they are open to any questions and other things-we can assume that there is really nothing malicious in their application.

Konnock, Apr 6, 2021 IP