1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

If it's not illegal it has to be utterly unethical

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by qwikad.com, Feb 13, 2021.

There's this one video sharing platform I visit and I noticed that out of 50 videos I watched 40 played the same advertisement. Granted, the ad was for a large insurance company with an unlimited advertising budget, so no big deal there, but I thought if it was an ad for a small business with a moderate budget it would deplete it in a hurry. I was thinking about running an ad with them myself, but now I am not sure. I actually saw another ad showing up again and again something like 20 out of 25 videos. You'd think they shouldn't show the same ad to the same IP address more than once or twice, I guess not.

P.S. My Saturday night rant.

qwikad.com, Feb 13, 2021 IP
    JEET and sarahk like this.
  2. asmodeus

asmodeus Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I get shown retargeting ads on YT for Hostgator every time I watch a video because I visit Hostgator and the cookie is on my comp, but it's a complete waste of ad budget because I already have 2 HG accounts. Most of YT ads seem to be either "preaching to the choir" or a broadly random net cast, like your insurance one.

asmodeus, Feb 15, 2021 IP
    JEET and qwikad.com like this.
  3. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    All in all it's a waste of time / money. I am guessing, but most people tune the ads out. Some companies run their ads for a show. It cracks my up when I see that one large supermarket chain playing their ads on TV. Like, seriously? We know what you are and we shop at your store like twice a week.

qwikad.com, Feb 15, 2021 IP
    JEET and sarahk like this.
  4. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    A million years ago when I was at University studying business the theory about car ads isn't to make you want a particular car, but to make you happier about the car you've actually bought. I suspect supermarket advertising falls into the same category - reminding you of a choice you've made, and keeping the brand at the front of mind.

Our supermarkets do promotions where you collect stickers to earn stuff, we've had cutlery, knives, glasses, and the current one is storage containers. Go into anybody's kitchen and you'll spot something. While the promotion gives brand loyalty for a specific period of time there is a longer-term benefit of brand reinforcement every time I use their knife etc.

sarahk, Feb 15, 2021 IP
    JEET and qwikad.com like this.
  5. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I'd be asking some big questions before I spent money. Depending on your budget they may be more or less inclined to spend time answering them.

I turn ad smarts on when I have any input. I play a number of games on my phone and if you watch ads you get rewards. I've given them the ok to "learn about me". On one app it's working, I get targetted ads based on my behaviour but then they'll throw in an ad that they should know as a straight woman I'll never be interested in, nor do I want to see it advertised on my phone. Even if I report the ad as being offensive I still get shown the ad next time. On other apps, the same ad company shows completely untargeted ads.

If big ad companies can be that dense then expect them not to treat your dollars with care.

sarahk, Feb 15, 2021 IP
    qwikad.com and JEET like this.
  6. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Advertising, in many cases, is less of a science and more of a religion because it is very, very difficult to measure concrete results from a campaign or even a series of "impression" campaigns. I recall when Mitch Kapor (who was the VP of Marketing for Lotus 123 which was one of the first business software applications) was quoted about his then crazy advertising budget of $1 million (back in the 1980/1990's timeframe that was an unheard of amount of marketing dollars in high tech) when he said: "I know that half my advertising campaign is working; I just do not know which half."

That said, many studies have been done about advertising and the consensus is that the average consumer does not really see or act on an advertisement until it has been viewed by them 8 times. That has been the mantra of print advertising sales reps since I started buying advertising back in the 1980's and I am sure that it has influenced digital advertising buying thinking, too. That is why you see ads on TV or on websites repeating themselves over and over. Recently, I was watching TV and the same ad repeated itself two more times within the same commercial break. Were they wasting their money that way or were they climbing the "8 views" mountain as quickly as possible?

Of course, as @sarahk points out, not all ads are about selling to new consumers. Many large brands use advertising to reinforce a recent purchase, but also to create cognitive dissonance for a buyer who recently bought something else. Another big reason major luxury brands advertise is to pump up their own employees. A great example of that was when Halliburton began running ads in the 2000's because they were being pilloried in the media due to then V.P. Cheney's previous relationship with them. Their ads were focused on the good things they did all around the world and were specifically intended to boost the morale of their own workforce.

jrbiz, Feb 25, 2021 IP