1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Which domain name should I choose? Please share your opinions.

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by Hodari, Feb 10, 2021.

Hello,

I need your opinion. I am going to open an outdoor equipment sale e-commerce company on web.

Should I register a new domain like for example barnellaoutdoor.com?
    Or
    Should I buy 10-15 years old aged 4-5 chars like barn.com, barne.com or smth like that?

Which would be better for me? 4-5 chars domains are expensive. Is it worth it?

Are older-aged domains better for Google Ads and SEO?

Should I put "OUTDOOR" keyword in the domain name?

I would be very happy if you share your opinions with me.

Regards,

Hodari, Feb 10, 2021 IP
  2. Berry007

Berry007 Peon

Best Answers:
    I think "barn" is better than others. if you want to make a brand. If you want to gain traffic then you should select keyword base domain..... It's will be better for that.

Berry007, Feb 10, 2021 IP
    JEET likes this.
  3. Hodari

Hodari Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you very much for your opinion!

Hodari, Feb 10, 2021 IP
  4. usaukclassifieds

usaukclassifieds Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I was in domain flipping, I have good knowledge to choice new domain, before choosing any domain check their appraisal value, estibot shows good domain value

usaukclassifieds, Feb 10, 2021 IP
  5. Hodari

Hodari Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you very much! Does aged domains important for Google? What will happen if I buy a new domain or an old domain?

Hodari, Feb 10, 2021 IP
  6. usaukclassifieds

usaukclassifieds Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, aged domain gives a positive impact on the search engine, It's up to you that you can buy new or old, Its also depend on your budget because old domain available in premium listings of GoDaddy and that is more expensive than new domain

usaukclassifieds, Feb 10, 2021 IP
  7. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    It's a contentious subject. Some experts believe that an aged domain name is more valuable for SEO, some don't. I am one of those that don't (even though I am NOT an expert, lol). So don't buy it because it's an old domain name. Buy it if it's a short, brandable one. New or old.

qwikad.com, Feb 10, 2021 IP
    matt_62, Sumit_Singh and sarahk like this.
  8. JEET

JEET Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Short domains are easy to remember. You don't have to buy a really old one from someone.
    You can just pick a new one of 5-7 length in dot com itself.
    Or something with just 2 easy to remember words.
    I did a quick search, and I am sending you 2 such domain suggestions in inbox here on this site.

Like others also suggested, for SEO purposes you can try to get a long keyword filled domain, but I don't think it will help in this case.
    Competition in your niche is too much.
    So many other websites offering outdoor equipment, so I think finding seo ranks will be very difficult.
    Google is showing near to 1 billion results for "buy outdoor equipment"
    Too much competition...
    For SEO, your best option is, register a brandable domain, and get a "Local listing" in google my business.

JEET, Feb 10, 2021 IP
  9. Hodari

Hodari Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you all! So I will search for a brandable short name, if I can find an old brandable name for a good price, I will buy it.

Hodari, Feb 10, 2021 IP
    JEET likes this.
  10. pingpipe

pingpipe Active Member

Best Answers:
    If your budget allows it I vote for a shorter name and then focus on your website content. [try to get a domain name that is made up of real word(s).]
    With a shorter domain name there is less chance for your potential customers making a typo when trying to reach your website, and in many cases the shorter name is easier to remember.

pingpipe, Feb 11, 2021 IP
    JEET likes this.
  11. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Go through archive.org and check that it's always been used well. An old domain that's been a link farm or something distasteful is less valuable than a clean, new domain.

Go back to your business plan. How much will you rely on repeat business? will people be coming back for replacements, parts etc.

Will your branding be more specific if the name is longer?
    Ex: evernote.com is more memorable than if they'd secured note.com
    eastbay.com is more memorable than if they'd secured sportswear.com
    stackoverflow.com is more memorable than help.com

sarahk, Feb 11, 2021 IP
    JEET likes this.
  12. Asgard2087

Asgard2087 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Hi Hodari,

Firstly, nice that you are starting an online store for outdoor equipment. Congratulations.

Buying a new domain means paying out a sum from your budget. The choice is buying an old one or a new one. I think both options are right, but if you want to choose the better then I feel choose the cheaper option after doing some understanding between price points.

Now, from an SEO or SEM angle, it does not matter much because age-old domains or new domains have nothing to do with SEO or SEM.

Smaller characters for domain names can be expensive so like I said use your best judgment. Try searching for the best domain name of your choice on a provider's website, for instance, BigRock, and see which one suits you best.

Putting a particular word or term is not going to affect the performance of the website. SEO tactics are used to drive performance and ranking so be relaxed about it. Choose a name that fits the best for your website :)

Asgard2087, Mar 1, 2021 IP
  13. Sumit_Singh

Sumit_Singh Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Agree with you.
    The aged domain provides SEO value if you have already work on that (I mean if they have some authority and value itself). If you purchase the new domain and do nothing with it for years and then you'll think that domain has SEO value so you are wrong.

Simple and small answer to your question, choose the name that best defines your work, service, product or brand. That is easy to remember and catchy. Choose barn instead of barne or you can also give a try to barnequipment.

Sumit_Singh, Mar 2, 2021 IP
  14. mytechiestuff

mytechiestuff Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Firstly it must be a .com domain.
    Anything else is NOT as effective.

Then, even though a short domain is obviously good, it could be a long domain if that is easy to remember.

For example, buckinghampalace is a long name but it is likely to be popular simply because it is easy to remember.

So great if you can get a good short domain but a good long domain is not bad either.

Best of luck

mytechiestuff, Mar 24, 2021 IP
  15. VortexAlpha

VortexAlpha Member

Best Answers:
    Aged domains have some authority and could improve ranking in the beginning, but the question is if they really can fit your needs, and that's why it's usually better to buy a new one, and you should definitely go with .com as it's recognizable and popular worldwide. As for your question regarding what you should put in the keywords, I would say that it could be valuable to add outdoors to the phrase as you are offering that type of equipment.

VortexAlpha, Jan 14, 2022 IP
  16. Andrzej Wilczynski

Andrzej Wilczynski Member

Best Answers:
    Keywords in the domain name are not needed. I would consider something that represents your business (be it keywords or company name) and it is easy to remember. I would also probably go for a new domain, as there will be more options, unless you have a perfect fit. As with cars, when you look at used domain, don't buy a lemon. Here's a read on keywords in the domain name issue: https://www.searchenginejournal.com/keywords-in-domain-name/380912/

Andrzej Wilczynski, Jan 22, 2022 IP
  17. Lakeshore Lad

Lakeshore Lad Peon

Best Answers:
    Does your domain name make a difference if when you are using it as a link, the keywords for your business are in the hyperlink? I'm thinking of a hotlink from YouTube.

Lakeshore Lad, Jan 24, 2022 IP
  18. Aurilar

Aurilar Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    As for the keyword then you have to put something that would definitely help you to promote your website in the search engine. I believe that the domain name must be catchy. Perhaps it might contain your new domain name, nevertheless you should make it really catchy and make it easy for reading. If we are speaking about domain names which are old-aged, then the recent study shows that aged domain names rank well among the other newly registered domain names due to their age and matrix. So, here you should decide on your own how do you want your website to look.
    I'd consider the situation when I choose old-aged domain actually.

Aurilar, Feb 2, 2022 IP