1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Any Drone Pilots on DP?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jrbiz, Jan 9, 2021.

Looking for suggestions for someone who is thinking about becoming an FAA certified drone pilot, but who has zero experience flying drones. I would like to get thoughts on:

1. Good beginner training courses.
    2. Good drone to start with. I am thinking that it will need video capability.

TIA.

jrbiz, Jan 9, 2021 IP
  2. JoeSpirit

JoeSpirit Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I've a nephew who has a business video mapping terrain for mining companies via drone. At least he was doing that a few years back. Haven't heard from him in a while. I'll send your info to his father and see if I can get some feedback for you.

JoeSpirit, Jan 9, 2021 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  3. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks, that would be great. This is for a young guy looking into potential careers. Seems to me like getting paid for playing video games. :) Though I realize that it is work requiring skill, discipline, etc.

jrbiz, Jan 9, 2021 IP
  4. superrichguy

superrichguy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I got my license last year to use for a couple of business I run. I watched a few youtube vids on what to expect and I went and took the test, passed it my first time. A lot of it was common sense stuff and it was multiple choice so that helps.
    I bought a drone off ebay it was a knock off but works great takes great vids for what I use it for.

superrichguy, Jan 9, 2021 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  5. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    How about actually flying the drone? Were there youtube vids for that, as well? Or did you just start flying around and learning by trial and error?

jrbiz, Jan 9, 2021 IP
  6. superrichguy

superrichguy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I bought extra blades on ebay, went thru 4 sets the first day. I got the hang of it now and can fly thru a tire a mile away practically.

superrichguy, Jan 9, 2021 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  7. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    LOL, I was figuring that there would be a learning curve. Thanks for the insights.

jrbiz, Jan 10, 2021 IP
  8. JoeSpirit

JoeSpirit Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Here's what I got:

Good drones: DJI Mavic mini or air 2, American made - Skydio 2 or Vantage Robotics Snap.

Online classes: Drone Pilot ground school was OK but that was 5 years ago and haven't looked at it since. Not sure about the current cost or if it's still worth the price. The FAA has a lot of good info on their portal. Webinar recordings and such. Recommend self-study at the source.

My nephew's business is video recording miner properties in New Mexico. Lots of mountain, mesa, and open terrain there. Seems his service is pretty popular with the mining companies there. Especially when they acquire new properties and have no idea what it looks like.

JoeSpirit, Jan 10, 2021 IP
    qwikad.com and jrbiz like this.
  9. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks a lot! This is great information. Will let you know how things go.

jrbiz, Jan 10, 2021 IP
    JoeSpirit likes this.