1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to start programming

Discussion in 'Programming' started by Horia, Dec 30, 2020.

I made my first script on a Spectrum when I was 6 years old in Q Basic, it was very simple, it played a sequence of sounds and drown some geometrical shapes. Then my next experience was when I worked in a factory with a robot wood cutter. I make the plans in AutoCad then input it so that the machine can cut the wood, it was more like introducing coordinates so the robot may follow the path of the final piece plan.

Must admit that is stole a lot of code in my designer carrer and use premade scripts to use in my work, I have basic knowledge thanx to udemy and lynda.com but lack the experience and practice to be more productive, or at least know what the programmer with which I work is doing.

It is a big problem to offer web development services when you don't know what is going on and then the fact that if you take a job of development and programing have stick up for the programmer that did the job, and that is very dangerous, may loose a client or even affect your reputation and turn out really bad for you

So, please can you give an advice an tell me where to begin with, I know that programing is like talking a foreign language, you speak with the machine so that it outputs what you want it to do. Have followed some tutorial on youtube too, purchased some udemy.com tutorials but they are either very hard to follow and understand or very easy. I guess that the starting point in programming is JavaScript or another easy language.

Thanks and have a nice day

Horia, Dec 30, 2020 IP
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Back in the early days there were tutorials for making a guest book. Not functionality we want today but it taught simple forms, data handling, database saves and reads, loops, and some early MVC logic via templates. Scripting via php and JavaScript with some css thrown in.

I'd look for something like that but using up to data database functions.

If you're getting into Web development and using a programmer look at recreating some portion of the site. Let's say the programmer starts with a framework or a cms, learn the basics about how it works, look up tutorials.

sarahk, Dec 30, 2020 IP
  3. Horia

Horia Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    For example, once a client asked me if I could make a web application for a barber shop so her clients make take appointments on the webpage, I had to tell him that I don't do that kind of work and lost money and a potential client.

I don't have the time to invest in learning web development by myself and be an expert, just want to have the big perspective and know what my colleague is doing for the reason I mentioned earlier, I can get in serious problems if I put all my trust in him and he dose a sloppy job
    Since I am designer and not a developer, I always look for graphical effects like animations and transitions some pop-ups and basic php forms because that is my area of expertise.

I will follow your advice and do some reversed engineering and code emulation, can you please recommend me a book, or other material that helped you, thank you sarahk

Horia, Dec 30, 2020 IP
  4. Horia

Horia Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    About another thread where I asked for help for a web animation program, I fund the next site https://greensock.com/gsap/ and I have to seriously get in programing, changed my mind about the time investment option so guess I will sleep less then I use to just to update my knowledge

Horia, Dec 30, 2020 IP
  5. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Do your homework before declining jobs like that. It's common functionality so there must be off the shelf scripts that you could have bought, installed and styled for the customer. You don't have to build everything from scratch.

sarahk, Dec 30, 2020 IP
  6. sakhtemooon24

sakhtemooon24 Peon

Best Answers:
    thank you

sakhtemooon24, Jan 4, 2021 IP
  7. tobysurf

tobysurf Active Member

Best Answers:
    tobysurf, Jan 6, 2021 IP
  8. Web_Dev_Chris

Web_Dev_Chris Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hi Horia,

WordPress is a great platform that has a lot to offer when it comes to web development. WordPress has a thriving community behind it and powers around 30% of the internet. The good thing about WordPress is it that it's flexibility allows you to get started no matter where you are at in your journey in learning to program.Whether you have a lot of time or not then WordPress is also a good option as WordPress allows you to install Theme and Plugins to achieve your design and functionality. There are hundreds of plugins that offer a booking / appointments functionality that would not take long to configure and most of them come with helpful documentation. Also, if you have the time to learn you can build websites / themes and plugins from scratch.

Web_Dev_Chris, Jan 8, 2021 IP
  9. JEET

JEET Notable Member

Best Answers:
    @Horia
    That barber shop app is an easy app to code.
    All you need is little bit HTML know how to code a form, then save data submitted in a database or file. Create a backend for admin to see who booked what.

You can use simple PHP for this.
    Start by learning to code in PHP, probably the easiest thing out there.

JEET, Jan 9, 2021 IP
  10. Vivsmei

Vivsmei Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    1. Choose the right programming language.
    2. Try out some online courses.
    3. Focus on learning computational thinking.
    4. Get a book.
    5. Check out some interactive tutorials or coding games.
    6. Try a kid's toy.
    7. Teach your favorite devices (and assistants) new tricks.

Vivsmei, Jan 10, 2021 IP
  11. brandon_wallace

brandon_wallace Peon

Best Answers:
    Horia, I highly suggest you go though the freecodecamp.org curriculum, especially the Javascript section. It is a wonderful resource and you will learn a tremendous amount of programming there for free.

brandon_wallace, Jan 12, 2021 IP
  12. iago111

iago111 Member

Best Answers:
    When you try to look under the hood of wordpress then you will realize how complicated it is. First of all everything looks nice but then you come to the point that you want to have a different functionality and a different layout. Then you have to understand how these php functions of wp render the content, how your template interacts with the core of wp, where you can make adjustments in the code and where not. Everything else is marketing bla bla bla...

iago111, Jan 26, 2021 IP
  13. Lexxisriennnl

Lexxisriennnl Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey, my experience with Wordpress wasn't so brilliant either, so I don't recommend it as the best solution. Moreover, it makes your project, barbershop site in that case, "heavier" if it can be called so with all its templates. Regarding the programming language to learn, pay attention to Java. It has a lot of benefits like not a difficult one, is applied in various niches (especially Android web development takes the bigger part of Java market) and you can gain a lot of potential clients, can be learned even from scratch, so you don't have to waste much time on this.

Lexxisriennnl, Apr 13, 2021 IP
  14. mmerlinn

mmerlinn Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    First, you can learn any language from scratch as they all simply manipulate electronic switches in a computer.

Second, the OP stated he wants to understand "web development" and believes learning some programming will help him (he is correct). However, the web runs on HTML, not Java, nor any other language. Basically, if there is no HTML, there are NO webpages accessible to ALL user agents which is the main reason the web was invented in the first place. Java MAY be good for making many programs but NO BROWSER THAT I AM AWARE OF CAN UNDERSTAND A SINGLE BYTE OF JAVA so pointing him to Java will NOT help him.

HTML is relatively SIMPLE to learn and is a basic requirement for webpages, so that is where the OP should start. Without a knowledge of HTML, PHP is essentially useless. Ditto for any other web related programming. HTML is the foundation - everything else builds upon it.

mmerlinn, Apr 13, 2021 IP
  15. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    So, that's the OP's first weekend of learning sorted.

In the real world, nobody actually writes plain HTML - they use serverside and clientside scripts to create it. I'd recommend PHP or python, and javascript before learning java but the decision needs to be guided by the other people the OP works with and the scope of projects they work on.

sarahk, Apr 13, 2021 IP
  16. iago111

iago111 Member

Best Answers:
    I checked several sources and they say that in 2021 Spring boot is one of the top 4 used frameworks for the backend!
    Even before Ruby and node/express! Interesting..

iago111, Apr 14, 2021 IP
  17. kakukk89

kakukk89 Peon

Best Answers:
    Udemy and lot time for practice, no need more.

kakukk89, Apr 14, 2021 IP
  18. tom bezlar

tom bezlar Peon

Best Answers:
    Here a book list for java beginners with a description:
    https://codegym.cc/groups/posts/best-java-books-for-beginners
    I hope it will be helpful for you.

tom bezlar, Apr 15, 2021 IP