1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Snow

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by spiced, Dec 2, 2020.

Is it currently snowing where you are.And if so do you like it.I think snow is pretty magical.

spiced, Dec 2, 2020 IP
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    NZ is going into summer so that's a no from me. Cold today tho, the ugg boots are back on!

sarahk, Dec 2, 2020 IP
  3. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    We had our first frost this a.m., on the cars mostly, and that's about how far it will go. I don't believe it has ever snowed in our area.

qwikad.com, Dec 2, 2020 IP
  4. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    My house is perched at 4,600 feet (1,430 meters) altitude, so we see snow in September.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
    Spoiltdiva, Dec 2, 2020 IP
  5. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    We had our first snowstorm this season a bit early. We got about four inches of it around Halloween. Magical? Not so much if you have to shovel it off driveways/sidewalks, brush it off cars, etc. And don't get me started on the loony drivers who have never learned how to drive in a snowstorm...

jrbiz, Dec 3, 2020 IP
    mmerlinn likes this.
  6. malky66

malky66 Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Some snow would make a nice change, I'm in England so it's pissing down with rain...again.

malky66, Dec 3, 2020 IP
  7. SQ27

SQ27 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    magical is when you hardly see snow. if you see it every year and the problems that come with it. not so magical:)

SQ27, Dec 11, 2020 IP
  8. Leadnetwork

Leadnetwork Member

Best Answers:
    Yesterday we had like frozen rain. Everything is in the ice now, really dangerous to go outside

Leadnetwork, Dec 11, 2020 IP
  9. Breslinnet

Breslinnet Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    We are in South Central U.S.-4 corners of Missouri,Kansas, Arkansas,and Oklahoma and were dumped on today with between 4-7 inches of snow over a 12 hour period depending on location. Heavy, wet fast falling snow. Really cool to look at but with 19 degrees overnite tonite will be a mess tomorrow. I guess it’s OK though less than 2 weeks from Christmas and been 5 or so years since we have seen this---BIG snow for us. We are usually good for tree dropping ice storms and not a lot of snow.

Breslinnet, Dec 13, 2020 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  10. mmerlinn

mmerlinn Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    You, too? LOL.

Don't get much snow here, maybe a couple of inches every 5 or 6 years. HOWEVER, we do get ice storms, and NO ONE HERE SEEMS TO KNOW HOW TO DRIVE IN THEM.

Fortunately, we only get ice storms every few years, though I have seen them in back to back years. If one watches the weather, one can predict them a month in advance. When we have one, there is a good possibility that we will have another one exactly 28 days later, and a VERY slim possibility 28 days after that.

Worst part? They are ten miles wide North/South and about 40 miles long West/East and naturally are centered over the middle of the city where all of the crazy drivers are. Most ice storms dump 2 inches or more ice on EVERYTHING in a few hours and three days later will be gone leaving a huge mess to clean up. Imagine all of the commuters driving in that stuff almost never with chains since there was no ice where they live.

Before I moved my shop out of town, I would plan on leaving town for a couple of days. Just going ten miles either North or South would get me out of the ice and into rain, with the temperature often 30 degrees warmer.

mmerlinn, Dec 13, 2020 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  11. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Where are you located?

Yeah, it seems like a large group of drivers here have their memories of driving in snow and ice wiped clean every summer. They start fresh with each new snowstorm. Now, there are two groups of businesses that look forward to the first snow storm: the snowplow operators and the auto body repair shops. The snowplow operators make money during and right after the storm. The body shop repair places are jam-packed with work right after the snowstorm as vehicles are towed in from accidents. I have been told by one repair shop owner that snowstorms are their busiest times of the year.

BTW, we are now expecting to get hit with a major storm here mid-week that they are predicting will be a minimum of 2 feet (.6 meters) or possibly as much as 4 feet (1.2 meters.) Must be a Nor'Easter. Yuck.

jrbiz, Dec 14, 2020 IP
  12. Breslinnet

Best Answers:
    We are the same here in relation to the drivers in winter precipitation BUT our issue is that we are in a town supported by one of the countries largest businesses and the supporting companies and almost 40 percent are transplants from somewhere else with a totally different geographically appropriate driving style. With our road systems being being probably 10 years beyond need it makes it rough even when winter weather is absent.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2020
    Breslinnet, Dec 14, 2020 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  13. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Well, it started snowing last night, is continuing this morning, and expected to end around noontime. We currently have about 8 inches (.2 meters) and are expected to end up with about a foot (.3 meters.) Then, the temperatures are expected to dip from around freezing to 20F/-6.7C. This will likely put a solid sheet of ice crust on top of the snow, making it a real joy to shovel, snowblower or not. :(

I have repeated this many times over the years, but I do not know why anyone lives here in New England. :)

Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
    jrbiz, Dec 17, 2020 IP
    qwikad.com likes this.
  14. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    At the risk of pointing out the obvious, it's because of the clam chowder. It's much cheaper where you are, and fresher too!:)

Spoiltdiva, Dec 17, 2020 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  15. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    LOL, a colleague in Texas just offered this week to ship me some BBQ Brisket if I would send him some of Legal Seafood's Clam Chowder. Would be a fair trade. :)

jrbiz, Dec 17, 2020 IP
    Spoiltdiva likes this.
  16. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    Me: A gallon of maple syrup
    You: A gallon of clam chowder
    Deal?:cool:

Spoiltdiva, Dec 17, 2020 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  17. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, but it will be for the wife and kids. They like maple syrup whereas I am a bit ambivalent about it. :)

jrbiz, Dec 17, 2020 IP
  18. Breslinnet

Best Answers:
    As a transplant to the South from the East Coast by way of....well everywhere else -- I can confirm the winters are rough but the summers generally are nicer than the 90 degree heat with 100% humidity we get here in summer. Most of the time spent in Northern Pennsylvania; we found the summers to be perfect.

Breslinnet, Dec 17, 2020 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  19. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    It's hard for me to pick the ideal spot. I have looked at various sections of the country (especially when we are having a bad winter) and never really settled on the one place I want to move to. Everywhere pretty much has a weakness or issue. But this winter is looking like it might get me looking again. :)

jrbiz, Dec 17, 2020 IP
  20. mmerlinn

mmerlinn Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I have been in over 2000 of the 3000 plus counties in the U.S. and every state except Alaska. And have lived in several places around the U.S.

All said and done, the best place I have found (weather-wise) stretches from Castle Rock, Washington on the North to Glendale, Oregon on the South between the Coast and Cascade mountain ranges, minus, of course, ice-storm prone Portland, Oregon. Seldom snow bound, seldom over 90 degrees. 1 hour from coast, 1 hour from skiing, and plenty of trees. In over 6 decades I have never needed chains nor snow tires.

But, the downside is both Governors as both states vote blue consistently and as expected we got what we voted for, TYRANNY.

mmerlinn, Dec 17, 2020 IP
    jrbiz likes this.