1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Popular JavaScript Frameworks (React)

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by Web_Dev_Chris, Nov 26, 2020.

Hi,

What are your thoughts on Frameworks such as angular and react over vanilla JS.

It seems that most companies are looking for people that are experienced in such front end frameworks.

I have reviewed React and from what I understand. It basically mixed HTML and JavaScript and everything is done from inside the JS Code.

Web_Dev_Chris, Nov 26, 2020 IP
  2. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Oh, boy...

qwikad.com, Nov 26, 2020 IP
  3. mmerlinn

mmerlinn Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    So what happens when JS is not available? Seems like it could be an accessibility disaster.

mmerlinn, Nov 26, 2020 IP
  4. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I've been part of decisions made at corporate level about which users will be supported and which are "acceptable losses" (for want of a better term)

Old browser means we can't use x functionality?
    What's the impact of not doing x?
    What's the impact of doing x using old tech?

We got a rude surprise when we discovered lawyers universally use IE10, refuse to upgrade, and won't lose any sleep over pissing us off.

Similar arguments will be made about screen readers and other accessibility tools, but the impact of cutting off a bunch of users may be legally significant.

Personally, I'm not a fan of angular et al, but I'm no longer making those decisions so I haven't kept abreast of improvements.

sarahk, Nov 26, 2020 IP
  5. Web_Dev_Chris

Web_Dev_Chris Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Essentially it's all or nothing. You are prompted with a beautiful message. Please enable JavaScript to view this app/page.

Web_Dev_Chris, Nov 26, 2020 IP
  6. mmerlinn

mmerlinn Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    In other words, if the user CANNOT or WILL NOT enable JS, the user is SOL.

Seems to be a piss poor strategy from my perspective since most businesses want the WIDEST POSSIBLE exposure and do not want to limit their customer base.

mmerlinn, Nov 27, 2020 IP
  7. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I would challenge that.

Aside from the accessibility issues what is the demographic profile of someone who has javascript turned off? Are they likely to click on ads? buy product? pay online? hire me?

When I had an iPhone 9 my husband was still using an iPhone 4 and getting pissed off that apps he needed to use were no longer upgrading and the old versions were removed. My explanation was that if he's unwilling to spend money on a new phone after all these years he's probably not going to pay for the premium version of the apps, etc. One of these apps was for our national airline and he did fly a lot so he was inconvenienced but I suspect the "worth" of users like him is pretty low.

sarahk, Nov 27, 2020 IP
  8. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    You rang? :D

My thoughts on it are much akin to my thoughts on HTML/CSS frameworks.
    https://medium.com/swlh/html-css-fr...ance-incompetence-and-ineptitude-4c1db2571de9

They are bloated incompetent crap made by people who have no business writing a single blasted line of HTML or CSS, much less using JavaScript to manipulate them. In most cases their very use flips the bird and usability and accessibility, and if it is popular that's out of ignorance, apathy, and wishful thinking. People WANT these bald faced lies about how "easy" they are to be true, and so it is for them -- even as they tell large swaths of users to go F*** themselves.

JS for nothing and your scripts for free. That ain't workin', that's not how you do it, lemme tell ya, these guys ARE dumb!

Which is an accessibility violation if basic functionality doesn't work in a lot of industries. Like public utilities, banking, medical care, and now retail since Domino's bucked the finding against them to the supreme court, who refused to hear much less overturn the case.

There are exceptions -- ACTUAL application functionality like Google Maps for example -- where such behavior is acceptable. But if it's a contact form for help, a banking portal, a shopping cart, etc, etc, etc... you're just BEGGING to get your ass sued off by a cripple, or a DA with a chip on his shoulder after reading laws like the US ADA and UK EQA.

Don't believe me? Ask Beyonce... or Dominos... or Winn Dixie... Or the faithtards at Hobby Lobby.

There's two approaches to dealing with such lawsuits too. There's the approach Dominos and Hobby Lobby took of spending millions escalating the situation in the courts claiming zero responsibility for the shit job their developers had done... and the... well, I hate to say something good about Fox News, but the approach they took of saying "My bad, we didn't know, let us fix this and make it right to you" which got them a settlement that cost them nothing compared to if they fought it.

Just look at Harvard, you'd THINK being an educational institution they'd give a flying F*** about usability and accessibility, but they're fighting it because their websites are maintained by students who aren't taught this stuff. Admitting it's wrong would involve admitting that at least so far as web development education goes, they're teaching bullshit. Or worse, dipping into their deep ivy league pockets and paying someone to actually maintain their web presence instead of slave laboring the students as part of their "education".

Nope, can't have that.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2020
    deathshadow, Dec 2, 2020 IP
    sarahk likes this.