1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Social Networks for Promoting a Discord Server?

Discussion in 'Social Networks' started by tekboi, Sep 30, 2020.

I have been slowly building an online community for professionals in the Creative Arts. Recently I have been racking my brain with ways to promote the group through social media. I have tried a few things such as Reddit, Discord List Sites (garbage results), and now I have social media accounts set up across Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.

I was curious to know if there are any other people here who have grown Discord Servers and know how to effectively market a group that is not for profit and solely for networking with other Creative Professionals?

tekboi, Sep 30, 2020 IP
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    discord is merely the tool, don't let that distract you.

you need to be looking at how people build communities within the creative arts niche.
    Where do they currently go for information?
    What are you offering that they're not getting right now?

Once you know where they go you need to get busy there too. Use forum signatures, profile pics, guest posts and the occasional dropped link. Get people to like and trust you and they'll eventually follow.

one thing though...
    Do these people currently use discord or is this another messaging platform that they're going to need to install and become familiar with? I'm always amazed at people on this forum who balk at installing something as commonplace as skype. If it turns out that discord is a problem look at moving to a different platform (telegram, slack, traditional forum, FB group)

I'm reminded of when a club I belonged to had a FB account and I needed to move the friends to a FB page so the account could be dropped. There was a major international event in our city and people needed to use our club facilities to train. I would chat with the friends the moment they came online and kept the heat on for months, when they liked the page I unfriended them which mean the chat list was all people I needed to engage with. Despite significant motivation, it was really hard to get people to move.

Your discord server has none of that urgency so you're going to have to have a really good benefit to get people on board.

sarahk, Sep 30, 2020 IP
  3. tekboi

tekboi Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, I definitely have experienced the "balk at installing something" thing for sure. I also run a gaming community. And it is rather successful, especially given how overly saturated the gaming sphere is with "communities". We just happen to have a niche, which is "older gamers". We migrated from using forums and facebook to a discord server and lost A BUNCH of people in the process who refuse to use it despite it being one of the easiest platforms to pick up.

I do find that there are not many discord communities that are specifically for professionals in the creative arts. Which is what gave me the idea to start one of my own. It's a platform that I already use, and Creative Arts is such a broad term, that I figured I would be able to appeal to a broad audience. But to your point, I don't have anything of value to provide them over any other server that already exists. And every type of specific "creative art" like music, art, etc... there are already huge discord servers for it in existence.

tekboi, Oct 1, 2020 IP
  4. Breslinnet

Breslinnet Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    We actually work with a client who uses discord server for their gaming and entertainment related ventures. While I realize there are differences between that and a non-profit as well as the niches being different--there may be similar results and did not read that you have tried this yet. Our client promotes his discord server( and actually all their gaming/entertainment related content) thru short 1-3 minute and occasionally a 5 minute YouTube videos and runs them on his YouTube channel to which we are advertising the channel for them. In the last 2-3 weeks; we have seen the # of channel subscribers increase by 50% or better and while I would like to say it is because of my brilliant and exceptional strategies I have in place for advertising their campaign--I imagine they have other marketing and possibly even buying subscribers--even though the engagement appears organic.My point actually is the content of their videos is sometimes random and I wonder if maybe not just random enough to be engaging and entertaining enough to keep them coming back even if the tech content would be hard to stick with beyond a couple minute video--IMO. As far as end result as to whether their discord server is experiencing growth/engagement based on the YouTube strategy--I do not know as that end is not my part but do know the YouTube has growth and interaction w/discord server being content of that

Breslinnet, Dec 9, 2020 IP
  5. jaguar34

jaguar34 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You could try promoting arts videos on youtube and use it to promote discord server.

jaguar34, Dec 31, 2020 IP