1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Turning off browser autofill/autocomplete

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by sarahk, Sep 8, 2020.

I love how browsers can save form data to make filling in forms quicker & easier - and reduce the chance of typos.

However... I have an admin system where my admin users login and maintain a stack of data and I want to have my own autocomplete options and suppress the browser from suggesting the user's personal data.

Most of the "data entry" is done by people signing up and all the admins are doing is confirming and then generating content. When they do have to do "data entry" I want it to be as simple as possible.

I finally got around to looking at what's possible only to discover that Chrome doesn't understand about data entry requirements and ignores autocomplete="off". I can't control the browser that my admins use.

Any tricks to getting autocomplete to turn off on data entry forms?

sarahk, Sep 8, 2020 IP
  2. Efetobor Agbontaen

Efetobor Agbontaen Active Member

Best Answers:
    It's very surprising the kind of decisions big G take sometimes. In one of Chrome's bug reports (I cannot post the link here for some odd reason), you can see that autocomplete="off" was purposely ignored :O.

Anyway, from the response, using autocomplete="anyother thing besides on/off" will work because Chrome won't understand it and will decide to ignore it.

SO to prevent all browsers including Chrome from auto-filling your input fields, try using the non Compliant autocomplete="false".

Efetobor Agbontaen, Sep 9, 2020 IP
    deathshadow likes this.
  3. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, autocomplete="false" is indeed the answer... and much like other things we do for "compatibility' sake -- like media="screen,projection,tv" or putting TFOOT before TBODY -- thanks to HTML 5's derpy "living document" asshattery and browser makers dragging their heels, it has slowly made HTML validation utterly meaningless, and calling 5 a "Specification" little more than a word crime.

Xenforo's link parsing is utterly useless shit. It blocks so many valid URI's as invalid for dumbass reasons and coding ineptitude. "Oh that's a redirect", "oh that has characters we didn't plan for that are valid in a URI but we're too stupid to use filter properly", "oh we just don't like that one".

It's almost as bad as how the WYSIWYG in vBull mangles code tags.

I can't link to any of my medium articles in posts/replies, at best I have to put the link in a CODE tag. It's a pain in the ass.

deathshadow, Sep 10, 2020 IP
    Efetobor Agbontaen likes this.
  4. Efetobor Agbontaen

Efetobor Agbontaen Active Member

Best Answers:
    Lol you have a way with words...

Yes this is so right. :D
    Ha now I see why. I wish this issue could be fixed though. We could learn a lot from your Medium articles.

Efetobor Agbontaen, Sep 10, 2020 IP