1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Porting wordpress to html

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by Solinari6, Sep 8, 2020.

I've got a website that I've got set up on wordpress currently for a customer, and I'm not really happy with the speed of the site.

I was able to get the wordpress site up, but my html skills are probably beginner to intermediate. I'm currently in a full stack html bootcamp, so that should help somewhat. As part of my learning, I figured I would try to recreate that website in HTML to see if it would be any faster. That's created some general design questions, though:

1) Wordpress has a whole admin page ... is there something like that I should be creating in html5? Is there some premade admin modules that I can just add to the project?

2) What about security? In Wordpress, I just add some security plugins and turn everything on, what's the equivalent of that using html?

3) I'm having a hard time finding equivalents to a couple of major plugins the site uses. Galleries, and Event Calendar. The site uses extensive galleries, with 60+ images per gallery. So I don't really want to have to write out the code to put each pic on the page (is that what devs do for large galleries?) Or is there a module I can install, and just point it to a directory, and it makes a gallery out of it?

3a) The Event calendar is also a big one. I've found some calendars I could install, but it's unclear how they work. I don't want end users adding things, I just want the admin to be able to, so I suppose I need an admin interface for adding events?

Solinari6, Sep 8, 2020 IP
  2. Zone06

Zone06 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Before you do, make sure that the host is not the problem. How many visitors does it get?

Zone06, Sep 8, 2020 IP
  3. Solinari6

Solinari6 Peon

Best Answers:
    It's not even live yet. The main page takes about 7 seconds to load. But even if it was fast, I still want to try to figure out how to do this as a learning experience. Just having problems figuring out how to start.

Solinari6, Sep 8, 2020 IP
  4. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    As @Zone06 says - make sure you know why the site is slow before you make major changes.

Does the client expect to be able to upload their own content? You're going to end up creating your own version of WordPress and I'd respectfully suggest that you're not there yet. You'll end up using scripts like ckeditor (which is great) and still having a bunch of code contributed by other projects.

If it's plain HTML you don't need security for the pages, just for the ftp access so that people can't upload their own files. If you add the admin section mentioned in 1) then you're going to need to protect from SQL injections and a variety of other security issues. Expect to spend a significant amount of time keeping abreast of the latest threats.

They'll exist but expect to do a lot of coding to get it all to hang together the way you want.

Yes you will.

Now, you may still benefit from kicking Wordpress out but I think at your level of experience you're still better off using a CMS of some sort and learning by modifying and adapting rather than creating from scratch.

sarahk, Sep 8, 2020 IP
    Efetobor Agbontaen likes this.
  5. Efetobor Agbontaen

Efetobor Agbontaen Active Member

Best Answers:
    First of all, I can assure you that with your current skills, porting to HTML is a bad idea.

Secondly, a quick way to try the html version out is to:
    • Open the Website in your browser and save the page. It will save as pure HTML.
    • Re upload the saved page and its assets.
    • Now open this new re uploaded page in your browser and see if that page loads significantly faster.

Efetobor Agbontaen, Sep 9, 2020 IP