1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Where do you get your international news from?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Spoiltdiva, Aug 22, 2020.

I gave up many years ago relying on American news outlets for my world news. CNN,NBC,ABC,CBS,PBS,FOX. (which is partly owned by Aussies). Canadian news outlets never gave me enough info. I then went to the BBC but they too as of late have begun bending to the left.

I feel strongly that I don't want or need a propaganda service attempting to influence me or my opinions. Just give me the news in an unbiased way and I will make my own mind up...thank you very much!

Recently I have been watching AL JAZERRA's English channel, and have found it to be surprisingly neutral even when it comes to covering the Israel/Palestinian issue.
    So where do you go to find out what is happening around the world?

Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
    Spoiltdiva, Aug 22, 2020 IP
  2. SpacePhoenix

SpacePhoenix Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Apart from the websites of the main UK newspapers, what about Sky News?

SpacePhoenix, Aug 22, 2020 IP
    Spoiltdiva likes this.
  3. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    We don't watch Al Jazerra enough, when we do we're always impressed by the breadth of content and the balance. Watching NZ media it's pretty obvious that they're chasing the soundbite rather than the important news.

sarahk, Aug 22, 2020 IP
    Spoiltdiva likes this.
  4. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Couldn't agree more.

@SpacePhoenix I haven't tried Sky News, will definitely have to try them out.:)

Spoiltdiva, Aug 22, 2020 IP
  5. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    This may be an impossible quest, I am afraid. I have been following political news since the 1960's and have never read a news report or a specific reporter that did not include some level of bias and usually significant bias, at that. Even what is picked to be covered in a news cycle is based on the editor's bias as to what is important and what is not. Likewise, when a news organization tries to provide "both sides" of a news story, there is bias in picking the "sides" (can't there be three or four sides and who says the two you picked are the right ones?) In fact, when people talk about a particular news source being more "balanced" or "fair" it is mostly a Rorschach test as to their political leanings.

No human is balanced or fair and that includes news organizations, judges, and other supposed arbiters of truth. Everyone has biases; it is the nature of the human condition. Said biases are reflected in everything we do and that includes news reporters working on stories, editors picking topics, etc.

jrbiz, Aug 23, 2020 IP
  6. Spartan14

Spartan14 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Me personaly i use google trends to find news that are trending and very popular online also

Spartan14, Aug 23, 2020 IP
  7. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    Where they written on papyrus scrolls? I do believe I may have spotted you in an old picture of the Gettysburg address. Did you manage to get Lincoln's autograph?:rolleyes:

@Spartan14 I think that the Google trends may be influenced by political bias. JMHO

Spoiltdiva, Aug 23, 2020 IP
  8. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    No, it was ink bought by the barrel and printed on pulp newspaper by publishers both morning and night. "Hot Off the Presses" and "The ink had not yet dried" were phrases that actually meant something back then. Had to wash your hands to get the ink off after reading the dailies.

Did I tell you about the time I had lunch with Benjamin Franklin?

jrbiz, Aug 23, 2020 IP
  9. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    Perhaps I am on a fool's errand in search of the truth.:(

10. mmerlinn

mmerlinn Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Searching for the truth is ALWAYS hard. And it is NEVER a fool's errand. Don't let ANYONE disuade you from the search for truth.

The TRUTH will set you free!

mmerlinn, Aug 23, 2020 IP
  11. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Truth, of course, is an interesting concept. One of my truths is that chocolate chip ice cream is the best flavor, ever. My wife's truth is that black raspberry is the best ice cream flavor, ever. We have, therefore, two conflicting truths for you to choose from to determine your truth. And, please do not tell me that you are going to muddy the waters even further by adding a third flavor/truth... :)

jrbiz, Aug 23, 2020 IP
    Spoiltdiva likes this.
  12. mmerlinn

Best Answers:
    An OPINION is not necessarily true. Your listed "truths" are really ONLY opinions.

13. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    The old guy down the street told the truth when he said to his wife that she needed to drop about 30 pounds. The truth freed him from the bedroom, and he was on the sofa for about a month. He was also set free from any and all home cooked meals, and was living off of t.v. dinners.

mmerlinn likes this.
  14. mmerlinn

Best Answers:
    Proof positive that the truth will set you free!

Spoiltdiva likes this.
  15. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    "Truth" like beauty, can still be in the eyes of the beholder. One witness saw rioters running amok in the streets; another saw a peaceful protest being harassed by police. For me, the fact that chocolate chip ice cream is the best ice cream flavor is the truth.

jrbiz, Aug 23, 2020 IP
  16. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Not at all. If you find your truth and are happy with it, then all is good.

And, did I mention that we are right now in Beta testing for our TruthFinding Express Tinfoil Hat? By blocking out government mind control signals and demonic cosmic waves, and using some additional, super secret, proprietary techniques, these amazing hats are guaranteed to reduce your truth search time frames by a minimum of 50%. Find truth in literally half the time! Avoid the rush and place your pre-orders now. The Truth is waiting!

jrbiz, Aug 23, 2020 IP
    Spoiltdiva likes this.
  17. SpacePhoenix

SpacePhoenix Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Here in the UK some of the national papers are behind paywalls:(

SpacePhoenix, Aug 23, 2020 IP
  18. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    And yet here you appear to be still cognizant at your age, proof positive that your anti aging model tinfoil hats do indeed work.:)

jrbiz likes this.
  19. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    Mon Anglais n'est pas 100%. Can any of you native speakers of English explain to me what is meant by "paywalls"?.......Merci beaucoup.:)

20. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    A virtual wall you can't get past unless you pay - and the good stuff is on the other side.

The Washington Post uses it, only subscribers can see most of their content.

Some of them let you have an article or two before they bounce you out. Medium.com does that.

[​IMG]

sarahk, Aug 23, 2020 IP
    Spoiltdiva likes this.