1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is DP being moderated to death?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by mike323, Jul 26, 2020.

It used to be back in the day, you could post links in the Template forum for affiliate templates (templates you didn't directly own but were authorized to sell.). I actually was able to make money that way back then while generating honest activity for DP. It used to be free to post too but I didn't mind when DP switched to a paid advertising model.

Apparently now you have to upload a copy of the template for sale because you have to be the owner of the template to sell on DP. I'm not surprised the links in the first 7 threads in the template sub forum are all dead. All the affiliate posters are gone and this place just feels dead.

For all that is holy, what is wrong with selling affiliate templates? Most people on the internet make their money through affiliate commissions. Why would DP de-legitimize an entire market?

Anyone know of any other forums that aren't killing off activity with excessive rule-making?

mike323, Jul 26, 2020 IP
  2. spiced

spiced Member

Best Answers:
    Maybe dp got a copyright suit from some guy selling a template that he wasnt supposed to

spiced, Jul 29, 2020 IP
    mike323 likes this.
  3. mike323

mike323 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Good point.

mike323, Jul 30, 2020 IP
  4. mike323

Best Answers:
    But I miss the old days. :(

DP used to be jumping back in the day. Especially, General Chat. I posted this thread five days ago and it's still at the top of General Chat.

That tells me there's been a huge drop in traffic. Back in the day this thread would be on page two in a day.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
    mike323, Jul 30, 2020 IP
  5. malky66

malky66 Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Social media is to blame for the drop in forum popularity, the good old days are well and truly over.

malky66, Jul 30, 2020 IP
    jrbiz and mike323 like this.
  6. Stefanov

Stefanov Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    We all do. Unfortunately, @malky66 is right. I think Reddit is also a bit responsible for that, since it offers a massive collection of forums, and you don't need to visit multiple smaller ones. I will always miss the good old forum days.

Stefanov, Jul 31, 2020 IP
    mike323 likes this.
  7. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Speak for yourself, as for me the "good old days" were not so good. This place was full of spammers and scammers. The mods would hit them with a light and they would scurry into the walls like cockroaches only to resurface again. And the mods being overworked were hammer crazy back then. I used to receive infractions (warnings) with monotonous regularity, in fact I may even have been banned once. *or even twice:D

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
    Spoiltdiva, Jul 31, 2020 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  8. Stefanov

Best Answers:
    I’m talking about good old Internet days, and forums in general. I’ve only been on DP for 8-9 months. Don’t really know how it was years ago, therefore I’m not discussing it.

9. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    The thread topic and thread title is "Is DP being moderated to death?".

10. Stefanov

Best Answers:
    They mentioned that social media is to blame, which is the reason why forum popularity has dropped in general, not just DP.

Excuse me for joining the discussion, and sharing an opinion. Will return to design contests.

mike323 and Spoiltdiva like this.
  11. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    You are being over sensitive. Your opinions are always welcome, and I know you to be a very good designer.:)

Stefanov likes this.
  12. SpacePhoenix

SpacePhoenix Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    For a lot of things like trying to find the solutions to problems, people have moved over to "Question & Answer2 sites like Stackoverflow. You've also got groups on sites like Facebook

SpacePhoenix, Jul 31, 2020 IP
    jrbiz and mike323 like this.
  13. Stefanov

Best Answers:
    Obviously kidding. All good!

Spoiltdiva likes this.
  14. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    LOL, I miss the REAL old days of Email List groups. I belonged to one called Market-L and used to get 15-20 emails per day of discussion (you could opt for a daily digest, but I liked the real time emails) by marketers around the world. Did not even have to click through to a forum site, the discussion came right into my inbox. :)

jrbiz, Aug 1, 2020 IP
  15. mike323

Best Answers:
    Yeah but did you make money on the Internet then?

mike323, Aug 1, 2020 IP
  16. mike323

Best Answers:
    I was scammed for about $100+ by someone I found on DP maybe 10 years ago when it was more active. Built me a site that didn't actually function. You live and learn. I never even thought to blame DP or thought about suing them. I blamed myself. How can anyone not know the difference between DP and a user on DP?

Plus there has to be some way to confirm someone is allowed to sell the templates they're selling rather than just ban selling affiliate templates.

mike323, Aug 1, 2020 IP
    qwikad.com likes this.
  17. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    I'm wondering if when people first spot DP the initial impression is that it's a low-rated, junky forum. I had that impression when I first joined it 8 years ago. The design had something to do with it. I am not saying quality boards don't get spammed, but the amount of spam vs the amount of visitors here suggests that a large % of new users think they can spam it because the forum looks dated, unmoderated waiting to be spammed. I could be totally wrong though.

qwikad.com, Aug 1, 2020 IP
    mike323 likes this.
  18. mike323

Best Answers:
    Personally I never got that impression. DP always looked like just a popular forum and came highly recommended at the time.

I think it was just a target back then because it was just so popular and had lots if traffic.

mike323, Aug 1, 2020 IP
    qwikad.com likes this.
  19. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    No, it was mostly in the 1990's and the Internet was not very commercial. Everything offered was free and nobody could figure out how to make money, except for when Amazon started selling books online. However, we got a lot of value from the listserv groups. It was groundbreaking, in fact, because for the first time ever, I could run marketing or sales ideas by a bunch of experts around the world and generally get great feedback and advice. Sure, there were always trollers, spammers, and flame wars, but the groups were very valuable nonetheless.

In the early 2000's there was a listserv created by Rob Frankel (author of branding book "Revenge of Brand X" back in the day) and I believe that it was called FrankelBiz and its sole purpose was to do business (kind of like BST on this forum.) Not sure how successful it was.

This discussion has gotten me thinking about another oldie: Usenet. First online forum I ever participated on. :)

jrbiz, Aug 1, 2020 IP
    mike323 likes this.
  20. mike323

Best Answers:
    Now you're going back to the 80's. That's the "War Games" Internet era. That's before my time. I only arrived online in the late 90's.

I think Google Groups was the remnants of Usenet...They used to link to posts made in the 80's there and I got to see some.

mike323, Aug 1, 2020 IP
    jrbiz likes this.