1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Role of Heading Tags

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by seomanualsubmission, Jul 19, 2020.

I am starting this thread because i see many websites (Specially in WordPress) that in theme H1 tags not available and theme is using H2 on place of H1 ..... and then other heading tags like H3, H4 etc.

So my question is If we are missing H1 and start to show our keywords with H2 then is it ok? According to me its not but heading tag show search engines our main keywords or keywords phrases. So what if we start to show our keywords from H2 and then for secondary keywords H3, H4 etc.

Note : And if we are putting H1 on place of H2 or want to add H1 tags additionally then site design is going bad a bit.

So what do you think about it ..... Is it ok to go with H2 to show search engines our main keywords?

seomanualsubmission, Jul 19, 2020 IP
  2. mmerlinn

mmerlinn Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    By definition, it is IMPOSSIBLE to have an H2 tag without a PRECEDING H1 tag. Just because Turdpress is too stupid to do it correctly does not mean that we should be lemmings and follow them over the cliff.

Further, IF the search engines are coded PROPERLY, they should ignore all header tags that are out of order. No clue whether they do or not, but it is not wise to assume they won't ignore such tags.

mmerlinn, Jul 19, 2020 IP
    seomanualsubmission likes this.
  3. kniveswood

kniveswood Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Maybe look into changing the theme's CSS such that H1 will look like H2?

kniveswood, Jul 20, 2020 IP
    poison_paradize likes this.
  4. Yjonata

Yjonata Peon

Best Answers:
    You could probably sneak in an H1 on every page that you then hide via css. Or just replace the H2 rule with H1 in css if you modify the tag

Yjonata, Jul 20, 2020 IP
  5. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    "Back in the day" the templates were ok, the problem these days is not WordPress but the designers working with it who try to make their templates do way too much.

Please don't. You'll be penalised for tricks like that.

sarahk, Jul 20, 2020 IP
  6. Yjonata

Yjonata Peon

Best Answers:
    Not necessarily https://css-tricks.com/snippets/css/accessibilityseo-friendly-css-hiding/

Yjonata, Jul 20, 2020 IP
  7. seomanualsubmission

seomanualsubmission Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with @sarahk its issue of designer not of wordpress.

I think i can see source code and can find easily that which heading tags are there and which are not .... I know also a bit about CSS so its not an issue otherwise i can handle it easily. I am asking about header tags role.

Honestly i did not get clearly what you want to say .... I think you are saying that i modified CSS class, So want to clear that did not touch CSS file till now. Its default theme and using one of our client. I am thinking to place there H1 tag according to SEO rule and so to clear few points i opened this thread.

seomanualsubmission, Jul 20, 2020 IP
  8. wildogre

wildogre Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah you are right some wordpress theme designers focus so much on front end that they forget about SEO friendliness of the template.

wildogre, Jul 30, 2020 IP
  9. JEET

JEET Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Why don't you just copy the CSS of h2 in the CSS of h1 also, and then use H1 tags instead of H2?
    There is no reason for H1 to mess the design of a webpage. It will appear the same as H2 is appearing...

JEET, Jul 31, 2020 IP
    seomanualsubmission and sarahk like this.
  10. seomanualsubmission

seomanualsubmission Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, i did same.

Now need to clear one more thing .... If our logo is image and we are using H1 tag with logo and put there alt text then this text will consider as main keyword (As H1 tag role is to show main keyword or keyword phrase) ????

Need your opinion Thanks

seomanualsubmission, Jul 31, 2020 IP
    JEET likes this.
  11. JEET

JEET Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I don't think putting an IMG inside a H1 makes any difference to weight of ALT tags.
    But am not sure about it.

JEET, Jul 31, 2020 IP
  12. zihadulislam

zihadulislam Peon

Best Answers:
    h1 tag very important on-page optimization, they mean title tag.so title tag large factors SEO

zihadulislam, Aug 26, 2020 IP
  13. mmerlinn

Best Answers:
    Headers and titles are NOT the same thing. If you use H1 as a title you are likely to get pimp-slapped by Google.

mmerlinn, Aug 26, 2020 IP
  14. Jim4767

Jim4767 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    One would think so. But I'm trying to help a friend debug one of his pages that has an H4, but no H1, H2, or H3. Yes, I've checked the Page Source. It's also confirmed by some online SEO tools. We still haven't figured it out or been able to locate that lonely H4.

Jim4767, Aug 27, 2020 IP
  15. mmerlinn

Best Answers:
    By definition it is impossible, but that does not mean that it can't be done.

Weird that you can't locate your H4 in the page source.

mmerlinn, Aug 28, 2020 IP
  16. Jim4767

Jim4767 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    What's really weird is that I can see it in the Page Source. But we can't find it anywhere in the app software in order to delete it. I've even asked a software pro friend with decades of experience to help us, but no luck for him either.

Jim4767, Aug 28, 2020 IP
  17. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    injected using javascript?

sarahk, Aug 28, 2020 IP
    Jim4767 likes this.
  18. mmerlinn

Best Answers:
    Apparently you are using some sort of page generation software.

Unless your software is bloated beyond reason, it SHOULD be easy to find the culprit. Looks like you are going to need to put breakpoints in your software to squeeze out exactly where that H4 is coming from.

Based on my experience with page generation software your software should not be a whole lot longer than the pages you are spitting out since generating webpages is a very trivial task.

I think that I would find the code that writes out each line of your webpage, then backtrack from there until you find the problem. In a well written program there should always be one and only one routine that writes EVERY webpage line. If webpage code is written out from more than one place in the program, the code could be in conflict with each other producing weird and hard to find errors.

Another possibility to look for is corrupted tables used by your program. Combined with the above corrupted tables could cause all kinds of weird results that are nigh unto impossible to track down.

I ran into the same problem once where I had two similar tables that I was accessing from several places in my program. Took me ages to find "random" errors because of that. Once I cleaned up the tables, merged them together, and cleaned my code, all of the errors "disappeared" even though I never did find the actual culprit causing the errors.

mmerlinn, Aug 28, 2020 IP
    Jim4767 likes this.
  19. Jim4767

Jim4767 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    That's what my software-pro friend in Sacramento suspects as a possibility. We'll look into it.

Jim4767, Aug 30, 2020 IP
  20. jerton

jerton Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    If you are using blogging platforms like WordPress, Blogger or any other, you will not see H1 tag there. It happens only because the title of your article becomes H1 tag that is not visible within the content. It appears as the Title and visible to the Search Engines too. That is why you are seeing H2, H3... tags but not H1.

jerton, Aug 31, 2020 IP