1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Domain reselling still works?

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by JEET, May 24, 2020.

1. radiusdanu

radiusdanu Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You can sell it as much as you want, but who care about kryts? is it like cryptonite?
    Willing to pay depend on your domain, if someone out there want to buy it, then he buy it. Then you make profit.
    That's the point of this thread. "Domain Reselling still works?" I said YES. but you think it's NOT

radiusdanu, Jun 11, 2020 IP
  2. Saputnik

Saputnik Active Member

Best Answers:
    This post contradicts your previous post, but whatever, yeah, let's say you're right, enjoy your profits.

Saputnik, Jun 11, 2020 IP
    JEET likes this.
  3. Jerry Peres

Jerry Peres Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    The practice is legally restricted to domain names that use words you can find in the dictionary. But some companies will buy up variations or misspellings of other well-known sites—like, say, Micorsoft.com. Those sites aren't legal, but they can still turn a profit before the trademarked party notices.

Jerry Peres, Jun 17, 2020 IP
    JEET likes this.
  4. niloofar.majdi

niloofar.majdi Peon

Best Answers:
    In-depth guide on buying and selling domains for a profit, also called domain flipping. ... domain names seems more like a long shot, you can still make a ... some hard truths on how domain flipping works and what to expect.

niloofar.majdi, Jun 24, 2020 IP
  5. TheKhanOfCopy

TheKhanOfCopy Peon

Best Answers:
    hell ya it does! if you have the right tools!! web properties ARE the only properties that count today and for the future!

TheKhanOfCopy, Jun 26, 2020 IP
  6. JEET

JEET Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I got over 80 domains in holding now, some real short ones like
    "VimDen.com" those are 2 dictionary words, like "pay pal"
    and some keyword ones like:
    "SeoSmoBlog.com" those keywords get millions of search in google. (seo blog, smo blog)
    "SeSmO.net" perfect for a search engine and social media community or company.

Haven't sold any yet.
    So am starting to think that it does not works...

JEET, Jun 27, 2020 IP
  7. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    I kinda warned you about that at the top of this thread. Of course there's no harm in trying (except for wasting your valuable time, energy and domain name fees).

Three reasons:

1 This is not 2000. Most good domain names have long been taken. As good as VimDen.com is I doubt anybody is NEEDING it.
    2. This niche is super-saturated and you're competing against services like Flippa and GoDaddy (plus a host of other domain name flipping sites).
    3. You could still have had a shot at it if you had a super busy website, but even then your sales would've been few and far between.

qwikad.com, Jun 27, 2020 IP
    JEET likes this.
  8. JEET

JEET Notable Member

Best Answers:
    @qwikad.com you and @Saputnik were right about this domain reselling business.

I actually got that "VimDen" domain for myself earlier this year, before I thought of trying domain reselling.
    It means "Energetic group"
    I wanted to put up a social network there. Short and perfect meaningful domain for a social network.
    Now I got another domain, under my own registered company name, almost equally nice for this same purpose, so was thinking about letting VimDen go.
    Afterall, its a really short .COM domain, dictionary words, rare to find these days.

I had a 5 character .COM domain some 6 years back.
    I made the mistake of letting it go. Now I cannot seem to find a .COM domain with 5 char length...
    6 char is also next to impossible, unless someone wants to register something meaningless...
    I must have done like a thousand domain name searches since I started this thread.
    I am extremely dual minded about letting VimDen go as well for this same reason.

JEET, Jun 27, 2020 IP
  9. Telecom steve

Telecom steve Active Member

Best Answers:
    I was very lucky a couple of months back, I registered 6 beard oil and beard care domains, all .co.uk and then had a change of mind about launching the sites, decided was to much work for too little return so listed them for sale. Surprisingly I sold then within a few weeks of listing them for sale - the 6 domains cost me less than £50, I sold them for £2,150 - and to be honest that was only for two domains, I just gave them the other 4 because I couldn't be bothered to maintain them!! If they had not been bought they would have been left to drop!

Right now I am currently negotiating for two domains i want, a .co.uk for which the owner wants £25,000 for it, I've offered £12,000 and a .com which is up for $250,000 for which I have offered $175,000.

A couple of years back I wanted to buy Razorclub, the selling agent told me they wanted offers over $600,000. we would have had to sell one hell of a lot of razors to see any return on that!

I don't mind paying $250,000 for a domain name if I have to, but it also depends on what product I will be selling on that domain and what margin I make and what sort of volume of product i expect to sell! Hosting domains are always good for reselling!

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
    Telecom steve, Jul 7, 2020 IP
    JEET likes this.
  10. JEET

JEET Notable Member

Best Answers:
    @Telecom steve
    Thanks for input.
    I can't believe someone is asking 250k for a domain, and you are willing to pay 100k for the same.
    What is so great about that domain?

Also, which market place is this? Godaddy auctions, or Sedo or some place else?
    Thanks

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
    JEET, Jul 7, 2020 IP
  11. Telecom steve

Best Answers:
    Both names are related to food delivery and are simple one word domains. For me the value of a domain is the expected return. If I'm investing that sort of money for a domain I am expecting a pretty quick return, not that it always works out that way, I have had some epic and expensive failures!

Telecom steve, Jul 8, 2020 IP
    JEET likes this.
  12. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    What were they?

qwikad.com, Jul 8, 2020 IP
    JEET likes this.
  13. Aelko

Aelko Member

Best Answers:
    There is a specialized forum for this. Domain investors on this forum recommend spending one year reading useful information, and only then buy the first domain for sale. Beginners usually get losses, not profits.

Aelko, Jul 8, 2020 IP
    JEET likes this.
  14. JEET

JEET Notable Member

Best Answers:
    JEET, Jul 8, 2020 IP
  15. Telecom steve

Best Answers:
    I bought the domains from TSO host in the UK as they had an offer on! I dont trade domain names, i just had a change of mind on launching beard care products as i didn't think their would be enough money in it to make it worthwhile!

I listed the domains on Dan but also set up a twitter account for them and then a couple of times per week just tweeted the domains were for sale and that's where my buyer came from!

Telecom steve, Jul 9, 2020 IP
    JEET likes this.
  16. JEET

JEET Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Thankyou, nice idea about using twitter.

JEET, Jul 9, 2020 IP
  17. Faith_Ruby

Faith_Ruby Peon

Best Answers:
    yes, domain reselling still works. but the random methods you find on youtube are useless unless you add your own twist.

Faith_Ruby, Jul 9, 2020 IP
  18. Alex Stoy

Alex Stoy Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Some people would we willing to pay for exact match keyword domain names, especially local businesses that want to be found easily online. There are people who will go and buy domain names in bulk just so that they can resell them and it works for them.

The reason why I think that people are willing to pay that much is because it can be worth it. Let's say that you have a dental clinic in Colorado, and you want to expand your reach. The best way to do that is by gaining exposure for local keyword terms related to dentistry.

If Colorado has a population of 6 million people, how many of them are going to search for something like "dentists near me" or "Colorado dental clinic" when they need to see a dentist quickly? When you have a domain that's called coloradodentalclinic . com it can be really easy to rank locally for these specific terms on search engines like Google. That was just an example, but I hope that you get my point.

Alex Stoy, Jul 9, 2020 IP
    JEET likes this.
  19. JEET

JEET Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Alex Stoy
    I think that is where I made a booboo... I went for short easy to remember brandable domain names, instead of long domains with keywords...
    Now I got about 100 domains which "I" really really like, but am not sure how much others would value them.
    Longest one I have picked is this:
    SEOSMOBLOG.com (SEO SMO BLOG)
    and I think shortest one is: UTUG.NET
    My fav is this one though: 31EVE.com
    I was thinking of a theme around new year party when I got that one. Its a high traffic keyword, that I know.

JEET, Jul 9, 2020 IP
  20. outrefranc

outrefranc Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have 2 domain names which I've been trying to sell for several years...
    All the good names were bought more than 10 years ago, I guess you're a little late to the party.

outrefranc, Aug 5, 2020 IP
    JEET likes this.