1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Seeking advice - Building a Landing Page

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by BogdanBogdan, Jun 18, 2020.

I need your help to pass a job test! I have to design and implement a landing page. I have some experience with html and css, but i never implemented a landing page or a website, and I never used Java script.

They mainly want to evaluate my html skills and want to "understand my idea behind how certain elements behave and why these particular elements behave that way". It's important to make the landing page responsive. I am allowed to use "frameworks" and other sources.

So, here are my questions
    1. Where do i start with "frameworks and other sources"?
    2. Do i need to learn Javascript?
    3. How can I make the landing page responsive?

THANKS IN ADVANCE, I REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR HELP

BogdanBogdan, Jun 18, 2020 IP
  2. denis bayly

denis bayly Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hi there BogdanBogdan,

and a warm welcome to these forums.
    1. Start at the beginning, there is no need for "frameworks and other sources".
    2. No.
    3. HTML is responsive, poorly constructed CSS will make it not so.

This link...

How to make a web page

...may lead you to enlightenment.
    coothead

denis bayly, Jun 18, 2020 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  3. BogdanBogdan

BogdanBogdan Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you for your kind reply. I will come back to post the end result :)

BogdanBogdan, Jun 19, 2020 IP
  4. Pandemix

Pandemix Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hi, congrats on your first job! Do you have a mockup or are you to start the page from scratch?

I am in agreement with @denis bayly about starting from scratch over frameworks, and when I first started out I would simply go to my favorite web pages and try to recreate them. With the inspector tools in modern browsers it is easier than ever to study individual elements and learn how to reverse engineer them.

Before touching any JavaScript, get as far into HTML and CSS as you can. The better your foundations are the less JS you need to write.

I personally make every element perfect on desktop, then as I make the browser gradually smaller I take away and CSS that is not needed for mobile and use media queries to adjust the styles down for a full mobile view.

Pandemix, Jun 23, 2020 IP
  5. BogdanBogdan

BogdanBogdan Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks a lot Pandemix and thanks again denis bayly! It would have been a lot harder without your feedback. I sincerely appreciate! I'm now waiting to hear from the employer. Hopefully they will be pleased with my solution to their test. Anyway, I uploaded my work to this post for you guys to see the end result. It's probably not the best html and css out there but it does the job.
    Many thanks

Attached Files:

BogdanBogdan, Jun 30, 2020 IP
  6. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Basically, they WANT you to use frameworks. Which makes your job easy(ier). Just get yourself acquainted with WordPress, it's adapted to most popular frameworks and has a few of its own.

My question to you is "Do you really want this job?" Get together a hundred people between the ages of 20-30, you will have at least 5 of them who were/are involved in website design in one way or another. This niche is so saturated that the saying "there are no indispensable people" is really applicable to it. You can even change it to "there are no indispensable web designers".

qwikad.com, Jun 30, 2020 IP
    JEET likes this.
  7. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    My thoughts too.

@BogdanBogdan - If you do, and if this is the kind of work you'll be doing at the job, then I recommend studying not only the links given to you but the framework @deathshadow has written, and systems like Bootstrap. You need to understand the differences, the shortcomings and the advantages, and have an understanding of why different strategies were used.

Once you get a job you may be required to work with a framework that isn't your first choice, suck it up and do it, but learn from it. When you get home at night do more work to experiment with ideas you have that you don't get to do at work. When I first started in IT I'd spend 3-4 hours each evening messing about with ideas and code. Some of what I wrote was helpful to my husband's business and is still in use today. Most of it was trashed. Your code will never be perfect. Every year you will have learnt more, and the tech will have changed. It's a lifelong journey.

sarahk, Jun 30, 2020 IP
  8. LeylaKondakova

LeylaKondakova Peon

Best Answers:
    Spend 3 hours studying such a framework as bootstrap. It will speed up your work many times and everything will be adaptive and responsive.

LeylaKondakova, Jul 3, 2020 IP
  9. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    He'll probably have to go with the framework that the lead developer has chosen for the company.

Better to study several so when s/he starts the job it's easy to see how it hangs together and why it does what it does.

sarahk, Jul 3, 2020 IP