1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Leaving WIX: Narrowing Down My Options

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by Hello I Must Be Going, Jun 28, 2020.

Hi, Everyone.

I have an ecommerce store and have been with WIX for five years now. Overall I've been very happy with them. I'm somewhat of a computer novice, and I like the ease of navigating the site. However, they are lacking in a few features that I find I really need.

One thing I find annoying about WIX is the company's #1 priority seems to promoting their brand endlessly and driving up the price of their stock, at the expense of adding essential and additional features.

My #1 Need: I need an web-builder that can create the best possible DROP-DOWN MENUS, as the products I market often have two, or even three, options. I've spoken to WIX several times about this, and they tell me you have to write code to do this. That's a deal-breaker for me right there. Done. Over.

Other desired features:
    a) Accepts both Paypal and Credit Cards
    b) 24/7 phone support (USA-based), plus chat support. WIX doesn't offer weekend support.
    c) Fast, easy interface.
    d) NO WRITING OF CODE! (no can do)
    e) A discussion forum for my customers

Right now my first choice is Shopify, but I'm open to other companies. This is not urgent, as I tend to look around a lot before making a decision.

Thank You,
    HIMBG

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
    Hello I Must Be Going, Jun 28, 2020 IP
  2. IAmTheAnswer

IAmTheAnswer Member

Best Answers:
    Try to check Woocommerce or OpenCart, both are self-hosted e-commerce platforms that offers flexibility in terms of customization.

IAmTheAnswer, Jul 1, 2020 IP
  3. zoink59

zoink59 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    IMHO any SAAS is choosing the better of various evils. The only real advantage of these services is they get to worry about backups and keeping their system secure. On the other hand, you have so little power to optimize your website for say page speed or on-page SEO perspective. I've set up clients on Shopify and it seemed less evil than others, but the standard Shopify package is bare bones. If you cannot do code you will likely end up purchasing 3rd party "apps" to add special shopping functionality or additional SEO features such as Schema markup.

zoink59, Jul 6, 2020 IP
  4. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    In other words you don't want to invest in a quality accessible website, put in the effort required to be truly successful, or learn to do anything of value.[/b]

deathshadow, Jul 8, 2020 IP
    JEET likes this.
  5. JEET

JEET Notable Member

Best Answers:
    90% times, dropdown menus are not accessible by screen readers, specially those mouse over javascript dropdowns.
    If you can, avoid dropdown menus in your webpages.

I don't understand why this is a requirement for your ecommerce store.
    Are you offering varients of your products which customers can select from? Like color varients?
    If so, then a simple dropdown HTML box is good enough. Why complicate things for no real reason?

JEET, Jul 8, 2020 IP
    mmerlinn and kk5st like this.
  6. Frontendor

Frontendor Peon

Best Answers:
    I used Wix for years too. I really loved it but I left too for the same thing > lack of features but in general, they have a cool editor. :)

Frontendor, Aug 8, 2020 IP