1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Coronavirus

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by jrbiz, Feb 1, 2020.

1. Anthony Constantinou CWM

Anthony Constantinou CWM Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Yes the shutdown can't prevent infection, but it can reduce the intensity of virus spread. Also medical facilities and doctors get a chance to learn more and provide good treatment to the patients.

2. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    It can delay the spread of the infection, but that is all. If we have to destroy the economy until the doctors can come up with better therapies, then there will be no one left to pay for their services and they might as well go home, too. Keep in mind that, to this day, we have had very limited success with flu or even cold viruses; we have some vaccines with varying degrees of effectiveness and some limited therapies, but hundreds of thousands of people die every year from influenza which has been around for centuries. People who think that they can hide in their caves until a cure is found are allowing the Fake News to completely bamboozle them with such narratives.

jrbiz, May 30, 2020 IP
    JEET, JoeSpirit and mmerlinn like this.
  3. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Canadian scientists are trying to get the Canadian government to approve the usage of Nitric Oxide nasal spray for public use. It kills the Covid-19 virus within hours of application and when used it is impossible for a person to contract the virus. It has no side effects at all.

A vaccine is no longer needed, we have the cure!

Spoiltdiva, May 31, 2020 IP
    JEET, JoeSpirit and jrbiz like this.
  4. mmerlinn

mmerlinn Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Since there is no money in the cure and the cure kills profits for big pharma vaccines, the docs may be fighting a losing battle going up against big pharma.

Last edited: May 31, 2020
    mmerlinn, May 31, 2020 IP
    JEET, JoeSpirit and jrbiz like this.
  5. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Very cool. Here's a link to this great story:

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/could-a-simple-gas-produced-by-our-bodies-be-used-to-treat-covid-19-canadian-trials-underway-1.4962611

If you think that Big Pharma will put up a big fight to prevent any type of potential cure that could start working immediately and be easily accessible to the public, just wait until the Fake News/Left/Swamp hears about this. They will be apoplectic that their political plans could be thwarted by the demise of the virus and the narrative upon which they are basing all of their power-crazed, political hopes. What if Dementia Joe has to leave the witness protection program in his basement and has to actually campaign? What if their mail-in ballot cheating scheme is not implemented? It will get really ugly quick.

So, changing subjects: I have good news/bad news on a personal level regarding re-openings. The good news: over the weekend, I learned that my favorite Chinese restaurant is planning to re-open this Friday. It is normally an all-you-can-eat buffet, but will be limited to take-out only and I am not sure how that will work but we will be there on Friday! The bad news? I got a text from my dentist last Friday; my Tuesday morning appointment (that I was expecting was off the calendar) is back on as they have just re-opened. I have a broken tooth/filling that I have been happily ignoring, but no more. :(

jrbiz, Jun 1, 2020 IP
    mmerlinn and Spoiltdiva like this.
  6. JoeSpirit

JoeSpirit Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Seems they now have protests/riots to battle economic recovery now. Maybe they'll put the virus on the shelf for a while.

I had my annual cleaning appointment last week. But I couldn't relate to your quandary - my dentist always tells me that my mouth is boring...

JoeSpirit, Jun 1, 2020 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  7. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I had such horrible dentists as a kid that not only is my mouth full of fillings, etc., but I also really, really do not like going to dentists. I have had dentists express shock the first time they have examined my mouth. Massive amounts of metal fillings running deep; surprising I can make it through a metal detector without my mouth setting it off. :)

jrbiz, Jun 1, 2020 IP
    JoeSpirit and JEET like this.
  8. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    If you grew up in the Soviet Russia as I did, you'd never complain against your dentists. Every trip to a dentist was associated with massive pain. Either their novocaine was bad or they didn't know what they were doing. The fillings would fall out the next day. Older folks had metal (stainless steel) caps and bridges.

qwikad.com, Jun 1, 2020 IP
    JEET and jrbiz like this.
  9. mmerlinn

mmerlinn Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I guess I have been lucky then. I have never had a bad dentist. In fact, two of them were so good that I have had four root canals WITHOUT ANY PAIN KILLERS OF ANY KIND (No shots, no anesthesia, etc). Been a long time ago, but I do remember that there was VERY little pain. I have had simple cuts with more pain.

Too bad those dentists are now long dead.

mmerlinn, Jun 1, 2020 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  10. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    Rallying cry of the old west: "There is gold in them fills!" ;)

Spoiltdiva, Jun 1, 2020 IP
    JoeSpirit, JEET and jrbiz like this.
  11. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Quite some time ago, I was in the dentist's chair having an old, very deep filling replaced/repaired. The dentist kept telling his assistant that he needed more and more batches of the silver amalgam he was using to fill the cavity in my tooth. He commented to me during the procedure that he was using so much metal that he felt like he was making cannonballs during the Civil War. :)

jrbiz, Jun 1, 2020 IP
  12. JEET

JEET Notable Member

Best Answers:
    @jrbiz

They still use metal in fillings? A dentist in my country told me that metal fillings contract/expand in winters/summers and create more problems, so they use some kind of cement instead.

JEET, Jun 1, 2020 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  13. Forseti

Forseti Peon

Best Answers:
    My friend moved to live from Ukraine in Provence in France. For a long time he could not find a dentist due to the fact that there were all the appointments by appointment, etc. And when he got an appointment with the dentist, then there was a technique used during the USSR ...

Forseti, Jun 2, 2020 IP
  14. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Dental Amalgam is a mixture of metals, consisting of liquid (elemental) mercury and a powdered alloy composed of silver, tin, and copper. Still in use today and I may be getting some in my broken tooth this morning. :(

jrbiz, Jun 2, 2020 IP
    JEET likes this.
  15. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    File this under: The Politics of Public Health "Science"

Less than a couple of weeks ago, we were subjected to indignant tut-tutting by public health scientists when it came to the shutdown protesters who were protesting to be able to go to church, go to work, etc. According to the "neutral" scientists, these protesters were ignoring science and risking death to themselves and many others by assembling in mass.

Now, however, even the extremely leftist Politico is noting the changing "science" being espoused by the scientists for the current protesters:

Suddenly, Public Health Officials Say Social Justice Matters More Than Social Distance
    For months, health experts told Americans to stay home. Now, many are encouraging the public to join mass protests.

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2020/06/04/public-health-protests-301534

Of course, anyone who is particularly surprised by this has not been following the story closely at all.

jrbiz, Jun 5, 2020 IP
    mmerlinn and JEET like this.
  16. videofotografen

videofotografen Member

Best Answers:
    Here in Sweden everything has been as normal. The only difference is that earlier this year restaurants for example only has allowed maximum 50 persons inside at the same time. And all bigger arrangements eg concerts has been cancelled. No restrictions for people to shopping and walking on the streets.

The downside of the virus here in Sweden is that Sweden is on the 4:th place in world with most deads percentage. Many industries have been closed for several months eg. Volvo, Scania, SKF, IKEA and many more so the laid off has rised.

videofotografen, Jun 6, 2020 IP
    JoeSpirit, qwikad.com and jrbiz like this.
  17. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    There have been varying reports as to how things are working in Sweden. Are the deaths mostly in older people with pre-existing conditions as we have seen here in the U.S.?

jrbiz, Jun 6, 2020 IP
  18. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    So, we are still mostly locked down, running around with masks, social distancing all while feeling fine and having no symptoms. It was to "save the vulnerable" that all of us had to pretend to be lepers and keep to our caves and bubble wrap suits. Here is the latest (today) on why from WHO:

HEALTH AND SCIENCE
    Asymptomatic spread of coronavirus is ‘very rare,’ WHO says

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/08/asymptomatic-coronavirus-patients-arent-spreading-new-infections-who-says.html

Oh, never mind. Looks like we never did need to stop healthy, young and middle-aged people from living their lives.

Keep in mind, that as these charlatans were whipping the low information sheeple into a froth over the impending corona-apocalypse if we did not lockdown, they also lied about the virus' transmissibility on hard surfaces. They kept that fake news up for a few weeks before they had to retract and publish the truth that, in fact, survivability on surfaces is much, much less than originally touted.

jrbiz, Jun 8, 2020 IP
    JoeSpirit and mmerlinn like this.
  19. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    <sigh> The playbook is so predictable when the Fake News/Left/Swamp create their "big lie" narratives. At some point, after all the sheeple and low-information types are repeating their false narratives with zeal, you then start to back off the hysterics and start actually spouting some facts so that in the future, you will be able to say, yes we were dead wrong at the beginning, but we corrected those mistakes in ensuing stories. Here is the uber liberal NPR starting to walk back from the hysterics, fake models, and more:

NPR: “Mounting Evidence” That COVID Is Less Deadly Than Thought

"Mounting evidence suggests the coronavirus is more common and less deadly than it first appeared."

"...This data helps confirm the research by Johns Hopkins which estimates up to 90% of people will be asymptomatic if they get the virus..."

https://710keel.com/npr-mounting-evidence-that-covid-is-less-deadly-than-thought/?fbclid=IwAR37ZRCZg1JvDZ2AZxc8z0arXSP8tASDIFvKOINN-Z6jbADrqcglJ5M37As&utm_source=tsmclip&utm_medium=referral

The conclusion: heavy-handed shutdown decisions were made in March based on bad information and even worse science and prediction models. And, instead of recognizing this and immediately altering/stopping the crazy shutdown policies, the blue state politicians continue the misery for their citizens. Note, of course, they do make exceptions for unmasked looters and rioters who are free to ply their trade in large crowds.

jrbiz, Jun 10, 2020 IP
  20. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    There are now 3 vaccines out there that work. The Moderna vaccine, the MRNA vaccine and a 3rd one from Johnson & Johnson (can't recall the name of it). The Moderna vaccine is to be field tested next month on tens of thousands of Americans to see if there are any side effects. Big pharma states that it could have a billion vials of the vaccine (which ever of the 3 are picked) available by September.
    Dr. Anthony Fauci said that he was "confident at least one of the three will work".

The end of having our lives disrupted by this pandemic are soon to be over.

Spoiltdiva, Jun 10, 2020 IP
    JoeSpirit and jrbiz like this.