1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Armchair Dining on DP

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by jrbiz, Mar 13, 2015.

1. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    In these days of lockdown and quarantines, what is your favorite comfort food to have while cocooning? I have been craving, for quite some time now, a cheeseburger sub (i.e., grinder, hero sandwich, etc.) with lettuce, tomato, onions, and mayonnaise:

cheeseburgersub2.jpg
    Note that in this picture, as is my preference, the sub roll is not toasted. Won't be having this any time soon as I am still dieting like crazy (it is working, however) but that doesn't mean I cannot dream about it. :) What are you eating or dreaming about eating in these crazy times?

jrbiz, Apr 6, 2020 IP
  2. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Before the local KFC closed down (just now open to drive thru) I bought 2 buckets of their fried chicken which I promptly put in the freezer. I take 2 or 3 pieces out, let them thaw out and then into the microwave they go. Being originally from Europe I put mayonnaise on them (not something you Yanks would do)...yummy!:)

Spoiltdiva, Apr 6, 2020 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  3. malky66

malky66 Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I usually have a chicken kebab on a Friday night after a skinfull at the pub, now my local chippy is closed (as well as all the pubs) I'm having withdrawal symptoms for one just like this:
    unnamed.jpg

malky66, Apr 6, 2020 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  4. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I love KFC and we actually need to make a run for some soon (it's a bit further than most of our take-out options.) We sometimes take leftover KFC chicken, shred it and mix it with mayonnaise to make a chicken salad sandwich. Really good! I would not put mayonnaise on a piece of chicken alone, but the combination works with bread as part of the equation.

That looks fantastic! Pity that your local outlet is closed. Is this the first time your pubs have been closed ever? We have some bars and other places like that...having been open for decades or more and now closed for an extended period for the first time ever.

jrbiz, Apr 6, 2020 IP
    malky66 and Spoiltdiva like this.
  5. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    So, I just mentioned KFC to my wife and son and based on the reaction, we will be stopping by there soon to pick up some chicken. My son loves their popcorn chicken:

KFCPopcorn-Chicken.jpg

My wife and I tend to alternate between the Original Chicken Recipe:

kfcoriginalchicken.jpg

And the Extra Crispy Recipe:

kfccrispychicken.jpg

It's been a while since we last visited them so I do not recall which version we got last time. But I am leaning towards the Extra Crispy recipe.

jrbiz, Apr 6, 2020 IP
    Spoiltdiva likes this.
  6. malky66

malky66 Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, covered in hot chilli sauce, my mouth is watering at the mere thought of it. It's the first time since I was about 15 that I haven't been able to go to the pub...feels weird, good job I've got plenty of vintage Dom Perignon to keep the thirst away..:)

malky66, Apr 6, 2020 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  7. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    So, the good news is that my wife decided to make a pineapple upside down cake for Easter. It looked just like this:

pineappleupside.jpg

The bad news is that I did not dare try a piece. My diet is not going as well as planned; results are beyond slow. Anyway, I had to pass on it, but it looked, really, really good. :(

jrbiz, Apr 14, 2020 IP
  8. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    I don't know if it has something to do with the texture, but pineapple is one of those fruits I like to eat raw. When it's cooked (either the way it's shown on the cake or on a pizza) I don't like it that much.

I assume you like apple pies too?

qwikad.com, Apr 14, 2020 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  9. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, but I do not like them warm. I actually prefer an apple pie to have a really thick crust and be chilled and drowning in whipped cream.

jrbiz, Apr 14, 2020 IP
  10. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I have mentioned before my taste for marshmallow, be it Marshmallow Fluff, Marshmallows right out of the bag, or whatever. So, it should not be surprising that I also like Marshmallow Peeps. They are available year-round, but their primary season is Easter, which has just passed. I have had several flavors of Peeps, but did not have any this past Easter because of my damn diet. However, I did just learn of some Peep innovations that I was not previously aware of:

chocolatepeeps.jpg

Chocolate covered Peeps! Milk and Dark chocolate! I really need to get my hands on a bag of each in anticipation of the end of my diet (minor light at the end of the tunnel, but still a looooong way to go.)

jrbiz, Apr 16, 2020 IP
  11. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    The diet is actually proceeding well, lately. I am back in my "skinny" clothes, though I still have a bit more to lose. Anyway, I am now thinking about some of the foods I am going to have once the diet is over. Pasta is on the list, of course. And, my favorite since I was a kid are wagon wheels:

wagonwheelpasta.jpg

Definitely will be having this (as shown with meat sauce) shortly after the diet ends. My son prefers angel hair pasta. My wife prefers ziti or penne, as I believe my daughter does. But, I am not aware of a better pasta than wagon wheels.

jrbiz, Apr 26, 2020 IP
  12. qwikad.com

Best Answers:
    I can see why. The meat and the sauce get stuck between the spokes.

qwikad.com, Apr 26, 2020 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  13. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    And if you cook them al dente, they stand up very well to the sauce. I like a "substantial" pasta.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
    jrbiz, Apr 26, 2020 IP
  14. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    What the OP has failed to disclose is that his "skinny clothes" are all made of Spandex.:rolleyes:

Spoiltdiva, Apr 26, 2020 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  15. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Or that they could easily fit a hippopotamus, spandex or not. "Skinny" is relative and in quotes. ;)

jrbiz, Apr 26, 2020 IP
    Spoiltdiva likes this.
  16. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    So, this Sunday is Mother's Day here in the U.S. and it is always a fine day. However, this Sunday will also be the first day I go off my diet this year, so I am really looking forward to it. This morning, we were walking through our grocery store and I noticed a Little Debbie confection that I had not previously ever noticed:

littledebbie.jpg
    Those of you who remember back to last October and my birthday cake, might notice the slight resemblance between it and the above pastry. :)

I realize that it will not be anywhere near as good as the home made birthday cake, but since I bought a package of it this morning, it is the "bird in the hand" that I am already drooling over. Should also have a good meal as we will be doing some sort of take-out from a nice restaurant.

jrbiz, May 7, 2020 IP
    JEET likes this.
  17. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I just learned that today has been named National Donut Day here in the U.S. (likely by donut manufacturers, of course.) It got me to thinking about if I were to go get a donut today and could only get one, which one would it be. Despite my love of chocolate, I think that I would get this one today:

glazed-stick.jpg

Anyway, the above is a "cake" type donut with an icing glaze covering all of it. This would be my choice this morning. What would you pick?

jrbiz, Jun 5, 2020 IP
  18. qwikad.com

Best Answers:
    It's the most patriotic thing you can do @jrbiz Donuts are an American invention. Some recipes go back a hundred years.

qwikad.com, Jun 5, 2020 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  19. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    But what is your favorite donut? :)

jrbiz, Jun 5, 2020 IP
  20. 1234nasir

1234nasir Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I love spicy BAR-B-Q, Really delicious!

[​IMG]