1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Create big Listing Buy-Sell Website (+6M Visitors daily)

Discussion in 'General Business' started by banginthe, Apr 18, 2020.

1. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Coming up with a craigslist web site idea is not innovative or new... Odds are in this secret country there are in fact people who have launched similar sites. I'm almost willing to bet this country is either using craigslist OR they are so poor and out of the digital age that other entrepreneurs could not capitalize on this over the last 2 decades. But 26 year old @banginthe with no website development experience is going to buy a $25 script and instantly get 6 million visitors a day.

NetStar, Apr 19, 2020 IP
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I hate to say "don't do it", because he might be a savant who just hasn't had the opportunity. It's why I go on about business plans. Do the leg work, be realistic about your strengths, the market opportunities and it'll become clear.

@banginthe might do the research & discover a niche that is untapped, be able to use an off the shelf script and learn in the evenings after work.

sarahk, Apr 19, 2020 IP
  3. tareqjhe1

tareqjhe1 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Wordpress is the most popular Content management system. It is not a programming language.
    My answer is obviously WordPress can handle so much visitor. But you have to buy a good hosting package. it is best to buy VPS hosting or dedicated hosting. Because every hosting package has a limit to its visitor.
    Many visitors means you need enough Bandwidth, Ram, Space. Otherwise whatever CMS or Web development you use your site will be crash. Because WordPress or other CMS will manage content but hosting will store that.
    And there are a lot of good websites which use WordPress Like MSN or Techcrunch. You can visit and make sure their website.

Mod Edit: removed spammy link, give the info in the thread in your own words

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2020
    tareqjhe1, Apr 20, 2020 IP
  4. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    @tareqjhe1 I'm interested that you think it's "obvious" that WordPress can handle that level of traffic. What do you base that on?

sarahk, Apr 20, 2020 IP
  5. tareqjhe1

tareqjhe1 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have been using WordPress for more than ten years. And I have seen so many websites who use WordPress. Do you think only a CMS interact with visitors? NO. I said WordPress obviously can handle. But what about the server? When a site will be more popular the use of
    CDN. I can give you some good example of WordPress website. that will be better to understand.
    1: thenextweb.com Rank 4783
    2: jquery.com Rank 6051
    3: maxcdn.com Rank 38957
    4: wired.com rank 1281
    5: techcrunch.com Rank 1800
    6: fortune.com Rank 3916
    7: thesun.co.uk Rank 1221
    8: news.microsoft.com
    9: thenextweb.com Rank 4783
    10: newsroom.fb.com
    I think this is enough to inspire create a website with WordPress. And if you want to see more example then you can visit the WordPress Showcase.
    Actually You can do almost any type of website with WordPress. It is not just a blogging platform. Even NASA, Ted, Facebook, Microsoft also use WordPress for some of their website.

tareqjhe1, Apr 20, 2020 IP
  6. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You're a bit misinformed. Those web sites may use wordpress however you have no idea about their infrastructure. I guarantee you any high traffic site using wordpress has a loadbalancer and a cluster of servers. PHP is slow. WordPress adds to it. The only way you can support high concurrency of visitors is due to multiple servers which gets expensive.
    If you used PHP WordPress on a cloud system like AWS your bills would be a LOT higher than if you were to use a more efficient language and package.

Most people who run Word Press do so on infrastructures that cannot support higher traffic. Don't be deceived. Microsoft is not running WP on your average web hosting set up.

NetStar, Apr 26, 2020 IP
  7. yaroslav_nz

yaroslav_nz Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    2021 and that site is gone...

would running it on docker swarm make it less bad???
    Also if you are getting high traffic, maybe you can afford a few instances for scaling? (assuming it is well monetized...)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2021
    yaroslav_nz, Nov 12, 2021 IP
  8. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    It's time to look beyond wordpress and check out some of the jamstack options. I'm going with Next.js but there are plenty of alternatives.

sarahk, Nov 12, 2021 IP
  9. yaroslav_nz

yaroslav_nz Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I was more talking in defense of PHP in general... Laravel and Codeigniter etc...
    WP is pure bloat... big community and cronjobs are convenient but, ghost is a more lightweight blog (plus can run on an Alpine image so even more lightweight than Ubuntu + PHP image)
    On code canyon most devs are still selling PHP, I have not seen many if any Rails or Flask. But yes some NodeJs etc.

yaroslav_nz, Nov 12, 2021 IP