1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How has the Covid-19 pandemic affected you?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by MyAlpha, Apr 4, 2020.

I was just curious how the Covid-19 virus has affected you and your community?

In my city it's an absolute ghost Town. Something you'd probably see in the movies.

I wish everyone the best during this pandemic.

Please try and do your part by remaining home. Remember you can always grab a soccer ball and an ice cold beer and still have fun in the backyard or even the garage.

All the best, stay safe!

MyAlpha, Apr 4, 2020 IP
  2. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Where I am a lot of people laid off and businesses shutting down. Very few vehicles on the road but less pollution also, quite noticeable.

Spoiltdiva, Apr 4, 2020 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  3. MyAlpha

MyAlpha Active Member

Best Answers:
    A lot of workers in Kitchener-Waterloo are also out of work. I was getting this alert earlier on my cell

[​IMG]

This is how many cases we also have in our region.

[​IMG]

MyAlpha, Apr 4, 2020 IP
    corporatemanager likes this.
  4. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    I am in central FL and things seem to be humming along nicely. No real panic. I see more panic when the hurricane season starts. We are ordered to stay at home, but I doubt it will be enforced. I went for a ride last night just to see if the parks were closed because of the stay-at-home order, they were open. I went to one park that I usually go to for a walk and there were people walking / jogging. The park is by the lake and there's a pizza place there. I saw people sitting outside eating pizza. I don't know maybe it's our nice, hot weather that makes people feel invincible but they seem to be enjoying their lives as usual.

qwikad.com, Apr 5, 2020 IP
    JEET and jrbiz like this.
  5. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    New Zealand is in lockdown.

We've had one death. Most people who have caught it are middle class (ie they travel) and we're trying to prevent community transmission. If it gets that far it'll move down and affect low socioeconomic communities and will be disastrous.

A benefit of lockdown and our low incidence is that contact tracing is easier. Some plonkers in a small town decided to celebrate St Patricks Days but by then we all knew we shouldn't. As a consequence, we have 37 or so people who probably caught it from one asymptomatic person bringing it to the town.

My niece has had it, she caught it in London and brought it home. She's followed all the rules but time will tell if quarantine and lockdown have been enough to protect those around her.

sarahk, Apr 5, 2020 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  6. MyAlpha

MyAlpha Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'm sorry to read that. Did they do a Covid-19 on your niece that came back positive?

I actually recently just got out of quarantine myself due to my illness I developed.

I wish your niece and your family the best. Thank you for participating in this thread.

Stay safe.

Well I hope the individuals that go out, try to keep it to a minimal. At least for the safety of themselves and the safety of others.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
    MyAlpha, Apr 5, 2020 IP
    JEET and sarahk like this.
  7. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    As with many countries there was a bit of a struggle to get tested last week, the rules are easing up now and I think it's pretty much everyone who can get tested. She was lucky that she didn't get properly sick as she smokes - hopefully she'll consider giving up now she's home.

sarahk, Apr 5, 2020 IP
  8. MyAlpha

MyAlpha Active Member

Best Answers:
    What do you mean when you say "She was lucky that she didn't get properly sick as she smokes?

MyAlpha, Apr 5, 2020 IP
  9. blacksinger

blacksinger Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, i'm in my house all day, without talk with my friends. I'm very anxious

blacksinger, Apr 5, 2020 IP
  10. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    If you're damaging your lungs on a daily basis you don't want to be catching a viral lung infection. Pneumonia is always worse for smokers, and covid19 isn't your average pneumonia.

sarahk, Apr 5, 2020 IP
  11. superrichguy

superrichguy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It hasn’t much. I’m an “essential” worker so it’s business as usual. But my kids are home from school but luckily my wife takes care of them.

superrichguy, Apr 5, 2020 IP
  12. MyAlpha

MyAlpha Active Member

Best Answers:
    If you don't mind me, what line of work do you do?

MyAlpha, Apr 5, 2020 IP
  13. superrichguy

Best Answers:
    Mainline Plumber. I make sure the water for your house keeps flowing.

Attached Files:

superrichguy, Apr 5, 2020 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  14. Clay Baker

Clay Baker Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Hey! due to Corona OutBreak, many people are working from home, now even companies have WFH policies. Remote work does come with its downside, especially if you are not used to this mode of working. As a matter of fact, if you are doing it for the first time during COVID-19, you can easily fit yourself in many problems, on other day. i was reading an article about it and they have shared some tips on working from home during coronavirus outbreak

Clay Baker, Apr 5, 2020 IP
  15. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Has Pakistan locked down?
    Is that how it's kept it's stats down?
    upload_2020-4-6_18-51-8.png

sarahk, Apr 5, 2020 IP
  16. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Here in Rhode Island, car traffic is minimal (no rush hour or anything like that) and the only businesses open are grocery stores and pharmacies, as far as I know. I think that the big box DIY stores are also open because so many plumbers, electricians and other contractors rely on them for supplies. The fast food, drive-thru places are going strong and may have even seen a surge in business. The post office is open and the delivery services are running, including the USPS. For a few days, our governor issued an order for our national guard to stop all traffic coming into the state with New York license plates until even she realized that she had greatly over-reached in her police state, power grab. Guilty by license plate! :)

There was a major travel tour agency that was based out of RI for 90+ years. They decided to close their doors for good. Same for a few local restaurants that will not be re-opening. Much like the virus taking out the weakest people, it is now taking out the weakest businesses. Of course, as this continues, there will likely be healthy businesses that cannot survive either. For my day job, I have been extremely lucky. We are a custom software development firm whose clients are mostly military prime contractors or medical equipment manufacturers. Our software developers can work from anywhere, so we have not lost a beat and our customers are pretty much the same. Our CEO has been working full time on the forgivable payroll loan program that was passed last week, so that should give this small company some breathing room, should our part of the economy start to tank, as well. If this shutdown goes on long enough, it will kill all businesses eventually, of course.

On a personal level, my wife has either been a stay-at-home mom or has worked from home on our small ecommerce, drop ship business for the past 28 years. During much of that period, I have also worked remotely from home because I am a sales and marketing executive. Of course, much of that remote sales work for me involved being a road warrior (traveling from client to client around the country) and that has stopped entirely (I do not miss it.) So, for us, we are used to being together 24/7/365, anyway, so not much has changed except for going out to eat, entertainment, etc., especially on the weekends.

I was telling younger folks that this will be one of their stories for the grandchildren in the decades ahead. Much like the Blizzard of 1978 or 9/11, this is a shared experience for the history books. The question is how the story ends: was the shutdown a temporary blip on the screen and the economy recovered quickly thereafter, or did this throw the country/world into another Great Depression that will take years to recover from? Jury is still out on that, but I am hopeful that it will be the former.

One thing that has become clear through this shutdown is who the "essential" workers are. It's not just medical, fire, and police personnel. If you burst a pipe or lose power, you will discover just how essential a plumber or electrician is. And, if you want to eat, farmers, food processors, truckers, and grocery store employees are just as essential as anyone. And the toilet paper workers now have shown how essential they are, as well.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2020
    jrbiz, Apr 6, 2020 IP
    qwikad.com likes this.
  17. superrichguy

Best Answers:
    Pretty much. I don’t work on the houses. I fix and install the pipes in the streets. We just had one burst in front of a hospital the other day. Had to backfeed the hospital from another line. Worked 18 hours that day. Lol.

superrichguy, Apr 6, 2020 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  18. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    And just when you think things can't get any worse, you get banned!:(

Spoiltdiva, Apr 6, 2020 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  19. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    LOL, the OP's quarantine has been extended online...

jrbiz, Apr 6, 2020 IP
    Spoiltdiva likes this.
  20. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    Thanks to the mods we have gone all the way from "social distancing" to "virtual distancing".:)

Spoiltdiva, Apr 6, 2020 IP
    jrbiz likes this.