1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Which forum CMS lets authors moderate their own topics ?

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by littlebot, Mar 22, 2020.

Hello I'm looking for a forum software to install on my website, that could let any author of a new topic moderate its topic with the same rights as a regular moderator, mostly by editing other members' replies.

I've joined a hundred of BBS (running most softwares) and none of them let the authors be moderate their own thread. Therefore I assumed it was not a built in feature, possibly because pyramidal moderation was the only one known to developers.

If there are too many forum CMS with this feature then I'm looking for one very modern, in the spirit of Discourse but in PHP.

littlebot, Mar 22, 2020 IP
  2. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Why do you think it will be a good feature?

qwikad.com, Mar 23, 2020 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  3. Commoner

Commoner Banned

Best Answers:
    Hi buddy,

I think sub-pages in reddit is a good alternative and free to post.

Thanks,
    Commoner

Commoner, Mar 23, 2020 IP
  4. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I hope you've got good lawyers. You own the content on your pages.

Let's run through a scenario.
    Dumbass A starts a "Cats" section and is therefore automatically the moderator of it.
    Lawyer B has a new kitten and is tickled pink with his little ball of fluff and starts a thread showing off the kitten's antics
    Dumbass A decides it would be super funny to change the thread title to "Should I squish it or throw it off the balcony"
    Members see the thread after the change and are horrified and Lawyer B is suddenly getting hate filled calls at home and at work telling him he's despicable.
    Dumbass A thinks it's hilarious.
    Lawyer A contacts you and tells you that he's going to sue you, and wants Dumbass A's details so he can sue him too.
    You go and take a look because you don't even know that Dumbass A exists and see what Dumbass A has done.
    Lawyer B doesn't care that you can't trace Dumbass A and pursues you through the courts anyway.

If your site is even moderately successful you won't be able to read all the content and this could happen. Be very, very careful who you give mod powers to.

sarahk, Mar 23, 2020 IP
    JEET likes this.
  5. littlebot

littlebot Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    • less need of moderation team
    • less abuse of moderation from a "bad" admin and its team
    • more responsible and civilized members
    It doesn't make sense to me to give moderation rights of a section to a non staff member.
    I talked about the right for an author to moderate his own thread, like someone who gives voice to others on a discussion and controls the subject. Yes more damage can be done, but this right can be given to old enough members.
    I hope that this way they will behave the way they want to be treated.

If I must use an alternative then it's going to be a classicaly moderated forum, but still installed on my website.

littlebot, Mar 23, 2020 IP
  6. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Have you moderated a forum before?

A thread or a section, meh, not a huge amount of difference. Look at the way people on twitter or even the politics section here twist each others words - and you want to give them the right to edit them?

You might be able to make it work, and I'd be thrilled if you could run a busy forum on that basis, but I wouldn't be joining.

sarahk, Mar 23, 2020 IP
    JEET and qwikad.com like this.
  7. Commoner

Commoner Banned

Best Answers:
    Are you going to undergo the troubles alone? Moderated or not is not really the point, whether you could bring value is the focus.

Commoner, Mar 24, 2020 IP
  8. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I actually had the need of this about 18 years ago, and the answer was SMF -- simple machines forums. The "writers" of a IP wanted to make their own topics and moderate them themselves, and SMF does so out of the box. You just make a usergroup of the people you want to have permission to moderate, then unlock the moderator actions just for that usergroup.

SMF has a very powerful permission set for usergroups where you can do almost anything of this nature, the only issue is that it's so deep that a lot of people get lost.

deathshadow, Mar 26, 2020 IP
    JEET likes this.
  9. littlebot

littlebot Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Thanks. 18 years ago was when I installed phpBB.
    I'm wondering what are the differences between CMS from the 2000 and more recent ones.
    Was there any progress in the backend's architecture ?

littlebot, Mar 27, 2020 IP
  10. bomb2060

bomb2060 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    I use xenforo to achieve what you are saying. Moderation settings can be for every single user. Or batch users.

bomb2060, Apr 8, 2020 IP
  11. littlebot

littlebot Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Can you tell me about your experience with this type of moderation ?

littlebot, Apr 8, 2020 IP