1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Coronavirus

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by jrbiz, Feb 1, 2020.

1. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Of course, they can only vaccinate against known viruses, so they are always working with old ones (that do return, of course.) The real trick is when they try to predict which old viruses will surface the next year as they have to make up the year's vaccine components long before flu season actually starts.

jrbiz, Mar 3, 2020 IP
  2. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Again I say, "With that in mind, why even take them at all?"

Spoiltdiva, Mar 3, 2020 IP
    JoeSpirit and mmerlinn like this.
  3. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    There is good news and bad news coming out of Washington today.
    Bad news: The vaccine for the Corona virus will not be available for 12-18 months.
    Good news: The vaccine used for the Ebola virus has shown great promise in combating the Corona virus in recent tests. This vaccine could be made available in 2-3 months.

Interestingly enough the Ebola vaccine was never that effective in treating the Ebola virus, and was rated at only 50% effectiveness. But in treating the Corona virus seems to be 100% effective.

JoeSpirit and jrbiz like this.
  4. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Got a source for that?

sarahk, Mar 3, 2020 IP
  5. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    I heard all of this on the ABC news about 2 hours ago. I would suggest checking out their website. Or you can try the link below.

http://www.quora.com/ls-Ebola-a-coronavirus

"No effective vaccine or treatment has yet been approved for the Corona virus, although several Ebola vaccines are being tried in DRC with great promise".

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
  6. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    The quora link is broken and google news isn't showing anything

[​IMG]

sarahk, Mar 3, 2020 IP
  7. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    ^^^I'm simply relaying what I heard on the t.v. I'm really not all that interested in trying to prove anything one way or the other.;)

jrbiz likes this.
  8. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I found something

upload_2020-3-4_17-36-10.png

it'll be interesting to see what the risk factors of it are.

sarahk, Mar 3, 2020 IP
  9. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    LOL, I don't blame you. Facts do not matter when hysteria is in full force, anyway. E.g., here is a statement of the facts from mid-February by Dr. Simon Murray in mdmag.com:

"According to the latest reports from the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), influenza (flu) has caused the deaths of 10,000-25,000 Americans, hospitalized 180,000, and sickened 19 million so far in the 2019-2020 season.

Coronavirus, on the other hand, has killed about 900 people worldwide. There have been only a handful of cases in the United States..."

In the past couple of weeks, the numbers have grown for both the flu and for coronavirus, but the proportions likely have not changed.

Of course, we can't let facts get in the way of a great scare story being promulgated by the news outlets and government officials who want to look like they are taking on a great challenge and saving the masses. It has been a disappointing perspective on how gullible the general public can be.

jrbiz, Mar 4, 2020 IP
    Spoiltdiva likes this.
  10. JoeSpirit

JoeSpirit Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I just took a scroll through this page: https://fox59.com/news/coronavirus/

That was depressing. Couldn't stay long. Much to do about...

9 dead in US from Coronavirus - 25 dead from tornado in Nashville, TN.

Nature's out to get us...

JoeSpirit, Mar 4, 2020 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  11. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    The trouble with the tornado, from the fake news media perspective, is that the local/state/federal governments quickly sprang into action on the situation so it does not provide the opportunity to blame Trump for it and its devastation. Hence, the story will quickly fade away, while the fake news continues to breathlessly report on the next coronavirus death. Meanwhile, ten times that number of people died at the same time from influenza. Pathetic.

Those that think that Mother Nature is a benevolent force that we just need to show devotion to (e.g., capping carbon emissions) do not understand how little she cares for humans.

jrbiz, Mar 4, 2020 IP
    JoeSpirit likes this.
  12. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    From WGBH NEWS (Boston) this morning: "We are making very aggressive efforts in the hopes of having a vaccine available, some form of vaccine available potentially as early as this fall"-Richard Hatchett CEPI CEO.

The general consensus seems to be that as the Ebola virus and the Corona virus are linked genetically, the Ebola vaccine shows great promise as to being useful as a vaccine for the Corona virus. Tests are ongoing and could prove negative, but there is still hope here.
    A hybrid of different vaccines including the Ebola vaccine, is also being looked at. The news is very fluid and evolving every day.

Spoiltdiva, Mar 4, 2020 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  13. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    Anyone wonder how North Korea has been dealing with the Corona virus? South Korea has had 61 confirmed deaths while North Korea claims to have had only one. On the internet there are stories that the patient was taken out by government agents wearing protective gear and shot. That certainly would be an effective way of controlling the spread of the virus!:eek:

On the internet some are claiming that burdock root will give you immunity to the virus. Here come the fish tales and voodoo medicine! :) More to follow, no doubt.

Spoiltdiva, Mar 5, 2020 IP
  14. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I'm surprised North Korea has had one. Their isolation from the rest of the world should have saved them.

sarahk, Mar 5, 2020 IP
  15. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, I had heard the story of someone with the virus trying to enter NK and being shot. Not sure if it is true. However, let's hope it does not touch these people who are living in a different century, healthcare-wise. An isolated population like that can be extremely susceptible to a virus or bacteria that most of the world would not be fazed by.

You know, I was thinking of spraying my new, "Coronavirus Tinfoil Hat" product line with a solution containing burdock root and hen's teeth.

jrbiz, Mar 5, 2020 IP
    Spoiltdiva likes this.
  16. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    Not totally isolated, N.K. and China sometimes have various sport teams compete and intermingle as do their dance, musical and other cultural groups. Though I am sure chairman Kim has recently put a lockdown on this.
    Their militaries also at times have small training affairs on the northern border, usually commando and specialized training all in the name of good relations.

P.S. If I'm not mistaken N.K. also imports coal from China by rail.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
    Spoiltdiva, Mar 5, 2020 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  17. JoeSpirit

JoeSpirit Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Indiana's first presumptive case of Coronavirus showed up yesterday at Community North Hospital in Indianapolis. The guy waited in the parking lot for a care team to collect him. He had just returned from a trip to Boston.

JoeSpirit, Mar 7, 2020 IP
  18. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    That guy was being very responsible. This kind of civic conscience can go a long way in helping to contain the spread of the virus.

Spoiltdiva, Mar 7, 2020 IP
  19. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    My niece is an ER nurse in North Carolina. Someone was dropping off a person who was suspected of having the coronavirus a couple of days ago. The hospital had my niece put on a full-body, hazmat suit to collect the person from the car in the parking lot. These are practical, health professionals who see people live and die every day. What am I missing on this?

I totally get that a hospital is where the sick people are and secondary infections kill a lot of people there all of the time. But why the special precautions for coronavirus versus say the dozens of people with the flu flooding their ER every day? I just do not get it.

jrbiz, Mar 7, 2020 IP
  20. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    If I may be allowed to play devils advocate here. I think the fear is two prong. One, there is at this time no vaccine for it and this fact scares the beejesuz out of people. The second fact is how easily it is transmitted from one person to the other. It appears that you merely have to touch a surface that an infected person has touched and from there touch your face (ear, nose, eye, mouth) and you've got it.

Now having written all that, can someone please tell me what this panic buying of toilet paper is all about? :rolleyes:

Spoiltdiva, Mar 7, 2020 IP
    jrbiz likes this.