1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Coronavirus

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by jrbiz, Feb 1, 2020.

1. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    We just came back from our second trip to Magic Kingdom this year, I don't think I saw a single person wearing a mask. Seems like the people in FL are oblivious to what's going on. AND... we ate at a Japanese buffet (the staff is mostly Chinese) on Wednesday, the restaurant was packed. I wonder if the East and the West cost are freaking out more than we're here down South.

qwikad.com, Feb 28, 2020 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  2. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Yesterday the stock market lost over 1,200 points. That was the biggest one day crash since the Wall Street meltdown of 2008. Airlines have reported a dramatic drop in traffic, people are stocking up on canned goods and bottled water.
    Collective cowardice and panic combined with total ignorance. Next people will be walking around in hazmat suits and staying home and missing work all in a bid to survive the new Black Death.

Spoiltdiva, Feb 28, 2020 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  3. JoeSpirit

JoeSpirit Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I wonder if that had anything to do with his putting VP Pence in charge of a Coronavirus response yesterday.

JoeSpirit, Feb 28, 2020 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  4. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    The CDC estimates that 46,000 Americans will die from other strains of the flu in 2020. So far there have been ZERO deaths due to the Corona virus in the U.S. to date. Statistically the chances are that you will get killed by a lightning strike before the Corona demon gets you.

This all reminds me of that play by William Shakespeare "Much Ado About Nothing".

Spoiltdiva, Feb 28, 2020 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  5. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, Trump is shrewd enough to see what they are doing and will likely get out in front of every tactic they pull on this.

Two days ago, WHO (World Health Organization) announced that coronavirus cases have peaked (i.e., the virus is on its way out in China.)

jrbiz, Feb 28, 2020 IP
  6. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Just saw this quote from Dr. Drew Pinsky, who is a medical expert often quoted in the press:

"We have in the United States 24 million cases of flu-like illness, 180,000 hospitalizations, 16,000 dead from influenza. We have zero deaths from coronavirus. We have almost no cases. There are people walking around out there with the virus that don’t even know they have it, it’s so mild. So it’s going to be much more widespread than we knew. It’s going to be much milder than we knew. The 1.7% fatality rate is going to fall. Where was the press during the Mediterranean Corona outbreak, where the fatality rate was 41%? Why didn’t they get crazed about MERS or SARS? This is an overblown press-created hysteria. This thing is well in hand. President Trump is absolutely correct."

Of course, he will now be demonized by the fake news publishers and others with vested interests in hyping this.

jrbiz, Feb 29, 2020 IP
    Spoiltdiva and JoeSpirit like this.
  7. JEET

JEET Notable Member

Best Answers:
    JEET, Feb 29, 2020 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  8. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I have to be a little skeptical on this claim. The Chinese president can stay in his living quarters (and pretty much anywhere in China, in fact) and be as isolated as he would like to be due to his massive security operation. So, "going underground" does not make sense. When you consider that along with the fact that WHO said that the coronavirus has now peaked in China, it is hard to believe that Xi has hit the bunkers. :)

jrbiz, Mar 1, 2020 IP
    JEET likes this.
  9. JEET

JEET Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Actually its more like cutting himself from public appearances...
    I don't know too much about China, but it seems that there are scheduled public appearances of President every week/month to keep media informed.
    And it seems that now he is not making it to those.

JEET, Mar 1, 2020 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  10. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Well, that makes sense from the perspective of not having events that will draw crowds that could thereby spread infections. It would be very similar to cancelling sporting and other events to not gather people together to spread the disease amongst themselves. But, I do not think that this means anything other than they want to do as much as possible to stop the spread and is not necessarily an indication that there is something more insidious going on.

jrbiz, Mar 1, 2020 IP
    JEET likes this.
  11. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    I watched the Trump news conference from the Whitehouse press room yesterday. A top doctor who specializes in contagious diseases said that one cannot become infected a 2nd time from the Corona virus. I guess once you've had it you are immune from getting it again.

That was certainly a bit of good news about all of this.

Spoiltdiva, Mar 1, 2020 IP
    jrbiz and JEET like this.
  12. JEET

JEET Notable Member

Best Answers:
    jrbiz
    No, see these public appearances are not before people, but before media, a couple of 20-30 reporters may be.
    Even those are cancelled.

In China, it has spread a lot.
    I agree with you that a lot of it is media created fear, and too much blown out of proportion, but even if 50% of its true, then entire cities are on lock down in China.
    That above website has another video, explains how cities have been cut out from rest of China.
    This one:
    https://athashpal.com/Topic/20/Details-Corona-Virus-How-Its-Killing-An-Entire-City-News-Report

JEET, Mar 1, 2020 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  13. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    That is the case with a lot of viruses, I believe. Once you have had the measles, e.g., you will not catch it again. The flu shots, for some reason, do not provide the same level of protection which is why they want you to take them every year. FYI, I do not take the annual flu shot, though the wife and kids do. They still tend to get the flu more often than I do, by far.

Then it could be a symbolic move for PR purposes and to keep the reporting on it down due to lack of information.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2020
    jrbiz, Mar 1, 2020 IP
    JEET likes this.
  14. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    Neither do I, never have. I have 2 friends that take the flu shot every year. They always get sick but I don't. But then again I suffer from allergies and my doctor said that because of this it is possible that my body is full of histamines due to always fighting allergies. I seldom get colds either.

On a side note the Chinese doctor who first discovered the Corona virus died recently from the Corona virus, sad. At first the Chinese government accused him of spreading needless fear when he first announced a new strain of the flu. He died trying to help sick patients that had the Corona virus.

He died with his boots on as far as I'm concerned.....R.I.P.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
    Spoiltdiva, Mar 1, 2020 IP
    JoeSpirit, JEET and jrbiz like this.
  15. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Carl Goldman, a passenger from the Diamond Princess cruise ship, writes about his diagnosed coronavirus in The Washington Post:

"I have the coronavirus. And it hasn’t been that bad.

I am in my late 60s, and the sickest I’ve ever been was when I had bronchitis several years ago. That laid me out on my back for a few days. This has been much easier: no chills, no body aches. I breathe easily, and I don’t have a stuffy nose. My chest feels tight, and I have coughing spells. If I were at home with similar symptoms, I probably would have gone to work as usual..."

jrbiz, Mar 1, 2020 IP
  16. JoeSpirit

Best Answers:
    I did take the flu shot one time and was down with the flu shortly after. Haven't taken the shot since. That was years ago and I rarely get the flu or a cold myself now.

I mostly credit that to the fact that I quit smoking when I was 36 though.

JoeSpirit, Mar 2, 2020 IP
    Spoiltdiva and jrbiz like this.
  17. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    Without exaggeration I know at least 6 people who have told me the exact same thing. This is the reason I don't take a flu shot every year. That and the fact that my doctor told me that the flu shots are not effective for all of the strains out there. So with that in mind, why even take them at all?

Spoiltdiva, Mar 2, 2020 IP
    mmerlinn and jrbiz like this.
  18. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    My daughter, who has a Doctor of Pharmacy degree, lectures me all of the time about the need to "inoculate the herd" when it comes to the flu shot. It's a statistical thing with the health professionals.

As I mentioned previously, I do not take the flu shot. My wife, daughter and son do and they get the flu much more frequently than I do.

jrbiz, Mar 2, 2020 IP
  19. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    The flu viruses out there constantly mutate, so how can any static flu vaccine ever be expected to work?

Spoiltdiva, Mar 2, 2020 IP
    mmerlinn and jrbiz like this.
  20. JoeSpirit

Best Answers:
    My understanding is that you're right about the viruses constantly mutating. I also understand that the vaccine isn't static but is designed each year based on the prior years' virus strain. That tells me that the vaccine designers are always at least a year behind.

But then I'm only an amateur nutritionist so I don't expect anybody to swear by my comments.

JoeSpirit, Mar 3, 2020 IP
    mmerlinn, sarahk and jrbiz like this.