1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Need Help Please

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by master-yoda, Feb 19, 2020.

Please can you help me how to do the following, thank you.

master-yoda, Feb 19, 2020 IP
  2. Private Loader

Private Loader Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well, didn't get it at all. I know that it's HTML you are talking.

Private Loader, Feb 19, 2020 IP
  3. kk5st

kk5st Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Whoever you're quoting, @deathshadow (?), is advising you to use basic html and css correctly and that embedding the css and js in the html file is a poor practice.

Start here to learn proper usage.

gary

kk5st, Feb 19, 2020 IP
  4. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Was @sarahk by the looks of it.

https://forums.digitalpoint.com/threads/please-review-my-new-site.2864539/

Where the site in question is the typical train wreck of developer ignorance, incompetence, and ineptitude that one can expect from a turdpress template. That's not on the OP, that's on the morons and fools who suckered him into using wordpress. Hence the ridiculous 36k of markup to deliver 2.4k of plaintext and 5 content images... not even 6k of HTML's flipping job!

The answer to the question at hand is twofold. First, pitch that entire steaming pile of turdpress in the bin, and then learn to use HTML, CSS, and JavaScript properly -- or at least hire someone capable of doing it right. We're talking semantic markup, separation of presentation from content, knowing when to and when NOT to use JavaScript, and dozens of other things that could fill a set of books the size of the average 1970's encyclopedia.

This isn't something we can just do overnight in two or three forum posts... but your first step would be to recognize that wordpress is 90%+ of your problem. sure, It's easy for any derp to slop out what LOOKS like a website with it, but that's the trap. Structurally, from both a development and UX experience, what people make with wordpress is utter and complete TRASH.

deathshadow, Feb 19, 2020 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  5. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I'm not so anti-WordPress, especially for a non-commercial site. Spending time learning the skills will take you away from your real hobby and spending big money on the site would be silly.

[​IMG]

So this should be a list. In WordPress, that's easy to do, and I think the default layout for lists is without the bullet anyway.

The key thing is that a list tells Googlebot that the content is a list and not an oddly short series of sentences.

On your homepage you have a group of photos that are placed inline in a single paragraph. That's fine except you follow it up with some empty paragraphs to create some whitespace and then you've got your copyright notice. I'd need to do a mockup in WordPress to give you the right advice on this one but perhaps put in a <hr> to easily separate the content.
    upload_2020-2-20_9-27-18.png [​IMG]

I'm not sure if it's you or a plugin setting the colour of those paragraphs but that's something you should be addressing straight away in the CSS. It must be super annoying having to remember to change the colour.

To back up @deathshadow - if you had a custom site you wouldn't need to find workarounds to manage your layout but having that control would cost you time, money, or flexibility. There's no getting around WordPress being really easy for enthusiasts to get information out there. If it has flaws with layout occasionally or is a bit bloated, well, your fellow enthusiasts won't mind too much. If the site were commercial and affected your reputation in your industry then we'd take a more critical view.

sarahk, Feb 19, 2020 IP
  6. kk5st

kk5st Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I thought it looked too polite for Jason :grin:

g

kk5st, Feb 19, 2020 IP