1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

HTML Editor..

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by Nilzar, Dec 19, 2019.

Hi,

I've been out of the game for quite some time. I used to use X-Site Pro2 for all my web developing needs, and it was just fine for me. I can no longer find it anywhere due to the fact that's its no longer supported.

What do you guys/gals use for HTML design?

I'm not a total noob with HTML I took a few classes in college but my major was networking so I did not focus on it very much and forgot most of it.

Thanks,

Nilzar

Nilzar, Dec 19, 2019 IP
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I use a combination of notepad++, sublime text, and netbeans.
    I have pinegrow for when I need something a bit more wysiwyg but I don't do enough of that so it slows me down too much.

sarahk, Dec 19, 2019 IP
    JEET likes this.
  3. nshep

nshep Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I mostly use Notepad++. But I also like Atom.io.

nshep, Dec 20, 2019 IP
  4. Saputnik

Saputnik Active Member

Best Answers:
    Notepad++ for me, too.

One single feature I don't like is when I want to search or to do find/replace, I have to specify search up or search down, that counts from the marker location, no possibility to search entire document. Though, function "Search in all open documents" works in entire document...

In those cases, when I plan to do a lot of find/replace, I use HippoEdit or Komodo Edit, both of them more powerful and nicer looking than Notepad++, I can recommend them both, but I don't give up Notepad++, it is more user-friendly for its simplicity.

Saputnik, Dec 20, 2019 IP
  5. harsimarriar96

harsimarriar96 Member

Best Answers:
    Visual Studio Code works great for me!

harsimarriar96, Dec 21, 2019 IP
  6. thedge77

thedge77 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I recently tried Pinegrow. It seemed like a good approach to html design. I only tried it out for a little while, but something you might want to take a look at.

thedge77, Dec 30, 2019 IP
  7. verocloud

verocloud Member

Best Answers:
    Notepad++.

verocloud, Jan 6, 2020 IP
  8. Moonlight Cat

Moonlight Cat Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I am the old timer.
    For me the best is old good classic notepad.

Moonlight Cat, Jan 7, 2020 IP
    scu8a and JEET like this.
  9. JEET

JEET Notable Member

Best Answers:
    @Moonlight Cat
    Same for me, basic Notepad is the king! Nothing is even close when considering speed and simplicity.
    A member from this forum once mentioned "Notepad 2" in another thread long ago.
    Tried it, works almost as good as notepad and has many additional stuff.
    Best part with Notepad2 is, does not hangs when I try to open very large files.
    Basic notepad was not at all useful when doing this...

JEET, Jan 7, 2020 IP
  10. Dandil

Dandil Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Sublime, I use Sublime text with HTML package, best option

Dandil, Jan 8, 2020 IP
  11. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    That was probably me, and I still use Flo's Notepad 2 to this day for EVERY language I program. From Ada to ZSH, it's my go-to.

http://www.flos-freeware.ch/notepad2.html

It's Scintilla based without being a total piece of Scite (that's a joke, the official demo of Scintilla is actually called Scite), has all the functions/methods I require like tab conversion, character space conversion, regex search/replace, line indents and guides, bracket matching, etc.... whilst either lacking or letting me disable all the crap fancier editors have that just gets in my damned way like autocomplete/tag completion (which is almost always wrong forcing me to correct the automated crap), unwanted correction as I type (I know what I'm trying to type, stop second guessing me!), just letting me huffing type without this constant dipshit switching between command mode and entry mode (Sorry vi/vim/emacs, but screw that), the illegibly useless acid trip that is colour syntax highlighting (That my hypersensitivity to colour makes absolutely worthless, didn't like it 30 years ago in TP4, sure as shine-ola can't stand it now!), "tabs for nothing" wasting screen space when I have a perfectly good taskbar, etc, etc.

So much of what's built into fancy editors -- like other such "tools" that make things ALLEGEDLY "easier" like frameworks -- just gets in the damned way of getting the job of WRITING CODE, and in many cases prevents people from developing good habits, learning to code, learning to debug, etc, etc. The fancier the editor the WORSE it is for beginners, because you learn to rely on the editor and its tools whilst ignoring the most important tool in the entire huffing process: The one between your ears.

I liken it to when on ST:TNG one of the nurses can't repair a bone because the high-tech tissue regenerator is broken due to power issues.

Pulaski: Try a Splint

Nurse: Doctor?

Pulaski: Splint, it's a very ancient concept. You take two flat pieces of wood or plastic, a bandage. The broken limb is kept immobile.

Nurse : That's crazy, that's not practicing medicine.

Pulaski : Oh, yes, it is. It's a time-honored way to practice medicine, with your head and your heart and your hands, so... jump to it.

You can become so focused on the fancy tools, you never learn the basics... and the basics are what can save your arse when things go bits-up face-down! So many of these "shortcuts" skip right past the basics, doing so with propaganda and bald faced lies, and the end result is people choosing complex systems before they even have the knowledge to know if what they're using is any good or not.

Which is how people get suckered into mind-numbingly dumbass incompetent BS like bootstrap or tailwind.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
    deathshadow, Jan 9, 2020 IP
    JEET likes this.
  12. kk5st

kk5st Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Jason, if I've told you once I've told you lebenty-seben times, Emacs is not Vi. Emacs uses modes to create an environment; it is not modal in the Vi sense. Its user interface is very much the same as a Notepad style editor, except that it optimizes for keyboard usage to give improved quickness over using a mouse and menus.

gary

kk5st, Jan 9, 2020 IP
    JEET likes this.
  13. JEET

JEET Notable Member

Best Answers:
    @deathshadow
    Yes, I think it was probably you. I am so much thankful to you for suggesting this editor in one of your posts.

Some 2 years back, because of some software mixup, I was not able to use a lot of MS default softwares. Notepad was one of them.
    I had no other option but to find something else quickly and the only other option I had handy at that time was eclipse.
    Did not liked it for same reasons you posted, auto complete, auto indent, color coding etc, but had no other option.
    I tried notepad plus plus also, but it had the same issue I was facing with basic notepad at that time.
    I was virtually testing every software out there at that time.

This was the time when I came across your post.
    Tried notepad2 and I have to say, your recommendation saved me brother!

10 minutes after download, I was able to get this one working the way I wanted, and with the simplicity I wanted.
    All those other wonderful things notepad2 can do, I came across them much later.

Many thanks for this :) GOD Bless you :)

JEET, Jan 9, 2020 IP
  14. scu8a

scu8a Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Any text editor is fine for me. Often times it has been just notepad. I set the font to 11pt Verdana and that's it. As for the GUI-based web page design tools, I don't recommend any of them. If you had to use a GUI application to design your page(s), I'm thinking Adobe Dreamweaver would suffice *shudders*.

scu8a, Jan 9, 2020 IP
    JEET likes this.
  15. deathshadow

Best Answers:
    Really that should be the message. So long as you know the basics of working in as primitive an editor as possible, you SHOULD be ok to sit down in front of any editor and get the job done.

It's why when I laundry-list editors I often mention notepad++, Crimson (formerly win32pad), EditPlus, gEdit, Atom, Visual Studio Code, sublime, etc, etc, before I bring up my own favorite. Given all we're talking about doing is typing in code, they're all pretty good.

I just find the fancier they are, the more they hobble learning for beginners and more likely they are to get in the way of experts.

Considering Verdana isn't monospace, your formatting has to be a bit... wonky.

Though it raises a good question, what's everyone's favorite editor FONT? I prefer Consolas.

deathshadow, Jan 10, 2020 IP
    JEET likes this.
  16. scu8a

scu8a Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Correct, from what I know, Verdana isn't monospace so formatting may appear differently, but when it comes to the easiest text to read, studies have demonstrated that verdana 11pt black-on-white is the most effective for ease of reading.

Oh, and you use Editplus, too? I use that all the time. It's a great editor and I've been using it for many years.

scu8a, Jan 10, 2020 IP
  17. kumar_raj

kumar_raj Active Member

Best Answers:
    I used DW (Dreamweaver) a lot in the beginning and now using Sublime for a long time now... But yes, I tried notepad++, bracket, and many more that I can't remember...

kumar_raj, Jan 10, 2020 IP
  18. deathshadow

Best Answers:
    First off if they're measuring in PT, it has nothing to do with SCREEN since points (1/72th of an inch) is almost never translated to screen resolution properly.

Second, verdana is actually a bit heavy on serifs (despite being called sans-serf) which makes it a poor choice for screen compared to arial, roboto, open sans, etc. It's not a BAD font by any stretch -- after all it was a windows system font for a bit -- but there are better choices. It's like the nonsense you'll hear from some people that serif fonts like Times are better for legibility ... and they are... for PRINT. Given that screens don't have the PPI to render spurs, tails, heels, terminals, thinned crossbars, etc, etc, clearly, that's been utter nonsense for decades. (and why serif fonts can be an accessibility violation.. NOT that there aren't sans-serif fonts like raleway that tell users with accessibility needs to go **** themselves.)

Though honestly font choice is a very personal thing. I like consolas because it's monospace, but doesn't have a lot of serifs like many other fonts I could mention; though now that I'm on 4k with 200% scaling, I might have to revisit that assessment.

I don't use it, just saying there's nothing wrong with it per-se. It has a lot of crap that's hard to turn off or just gets in my way, but that's just it not matching my workflow. I'm use that for other people with different workflows and different needs it's fine and dandy since it doesn't seem to cram bad practices down your gullet.

Unlike say... WYSIWYGS where by their very nature they are nothing BUT bad practices with a broken bloated inaccessible result.

deathshadow, Jan 11, 2020 IP
  19. scu8a

scu8a Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Really? I've been required to develop to 508 standards and I've never heard that. It makes sense, but it's something that I've never heard before.

I'll take a look at that.

scu8a, Jan 11, 2020 IP
  20. deathshadow

Best Answers:
    It's not in the WAI spec, but it is in the legal code for Canadian and UK law... though in the UK it applies only to banks and public utilities.

There's MORE to accessibility than the WCAG. Hell, a lot of the WCAG is convoluted nonsense even prosecutors ignore because the language of it is so broken, even lawyers don't understand it.

It's why I often joke that WCAG "specifications" read like they were written in Finnish, translated to Japanese by a Russian, then Google translated to an "Engrish moist goodry" so steeped in legalese it's a miracle anyone is able to do anything useful with it.

deathshadow, Jan 12, 2020 IP