1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

5 Productivity Secrets

Discussion in 'General Business' started by VideoWhisper.com, Dec 9, 2019.

Secret #1: There is no shortcut.
    Do the work.
    Read. Plan. Start things. Try stuff. Evaluate. Retry. Improve. Optimize. Do more. Put in the hours.

Secret #2: Coffee. ☕️☕️
    Life is too short to not drink coffee.
    Before 2pm so you can sleep well at night.

Secret #3: Plan for distractions.
    Imagine you're riding a stallion and there are different roads, close to apple orchards, carrot fields, herds of wild horses and mares.
    To reach your destination faster, you will need to pick a road without distractions.

Secret #4: Essentialism.
    Tunnel vision.
    Less is more.
    Time, attention: zero sum games.
    Extras consumes attention, time, energy. Theft from your goals & future.
    Avoid futile complexity. Avoid clutter in your life & mind.

Secret #5: Less travel.
    Travel is how you lose momentum.
    Travel is totally meaningless in the grand scheme of things, except for the travel industry.
    Travel is just expensive escapism, almost as expensive as functional alcoholism.
    People who love their lives don’t leave.

VideoWhisper.com, Dec 9, 2019 IP
    Saputnik likes this.
  2. JoeSpirit

JoeSpirit Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hmmm. I'm sure I would find fields of wild horses AND wild mares distracting.

I can't really agree with point #5 though. Travel is my major motivator. I set my entire business up around mobility.

At any given moment I might take the notion to climb into my RV and turn left or right (who cares which) at the end of the driveway. If my office can't go with me I've got problems.

JoeSpirit, Dec 9, 2019 IP
    qwikad.com and JEET like this.
  3. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Here are some valuable secrets when walking into a field full of horses:
    Secret #1...Be sure to wear rubber boots.
    Secret #2...Watch where you step.

Spoiltdiva, Dec 9, 2019 IP
    JoeSpirit, sarahk and JEET like this.
  4. mmerlinn

mmerlinn Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Life is too short to use a crutch like coffee and too short to always consume drugs like coffee.

mmerlinn, Dec 9, 2019 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  5. Barb Davids

Barb Davids Member

Best Answers:
    I believe sleep is the #1 secret to productivity. Definitely not #5. I use the airport time for uninterrupted work. It's fantastic.

Barb Davids, Dec 9, 2019 IP
    mmerlinn and sarahk like this.
  6. JEET

JEET Notable Member

Best Answers:
    LOL @Spoiltdiva those tips also work if one is walking in a field full of snakes, and not just horse poop...

JEET, Dec 9, 2019 IP
  7. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    • Quantify your goals
    • Quantify your rewards - that might/should be travel
    • Know when you have "enough"
    • Apply the 80/20 rule to every problem
    • Sleep - @Barb Davids is right
    • Exercise
    I am grateful to those who have travelled and arrived in/returned to my country with their culture (mostly the food), innovations, and different perspective on our problems. From them, we've grown as a nation.

I have loads of travel planned for the next two years. It's not meant to be productive but I'd be delighted if I return home with an idea or two on how to make my little bit of the world better.

sarahk, Dec 9, 2019 IP
    NetStar, JoeSpirit and Barb Davids like this.
  8. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    Wild horses, mounds of horse poop, snakes....this is the field from hell. Get out of that field now while you still can!:eek:

Spoiltdiva, Dec 9, 2019 IP
    JEET likes this.
  9. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    That was funny!

qwikad.com, Dec 9, 2019 IP
    JEET likes this.
  10. JoeSpirit

Best Answers:
    Have you no sense of adventure???

JoeSpirit, Dec 10, 2019 IP
  11. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    On second thought I realize that you are absolutely right. I'll call up Indiana Jones and Luke Skywalker and together we will step over the mounds of horse crap, by pass the wild horses, and to heck with all the snakes...damn the torpedoes , full speed ahead!

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
    Spoiltdiva, Dec 10, 2019 IP
  12. VideoWhisper.com

VideoWhisper.com Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Secrets are unpopular, counter intuitive and hard to act on.
    Everybody would be rich and have a six pack if popular choices worked.

VideoWhisper.com, Dec 11, 2019 IP
  13. JoeSpirit

Best Answers:
    Gosh. You forgot the wild mares.

JoeSpirit, Dec 11, 2019 IP
  14. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Dumbest thing I ever read.

NetStar, Dec 12, 2019 IP
    JoeSpirit and sarahk like this.
  15. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Here are my tips for productivity:

1. End your day by creating tomorrow's agenda. Start your day with a Plan. Make sure you have a list of objectives to accomplish each day.
    2. Set realistic goals to accomplish and always have a Plan of Action to achieve each goal.
    3. Exercise daily. Eat a healthy balance diet. Drink plenty of water. Have bed time and do not snooze the alarm in the morning. This does wonders for your mental and physical health.
    4. Set aside time for your "distractions". If you cut out the world or your relaxation you will most likely fail or "binge" at some point.
    5. Slow and steady. You aren't building an empire over night. Make sure you understand success is a series of failures and baby steps moving forward will always be faster than moving too quickly and burning out.

Bonus tip:

6. Travel often. And then travel more. Visiting new places and having new experiences will make you smarter, happier, and set focus on what is most important to you. I've learned so much about myself and the world while traveling. I've had moments where I immediately felt blessed to see how amazing of a life I live and moments where I felt ashamed to be proud of materialistic items that others can only dream of. I've been inspired and motivated by other cultures. In Puerto Vallarta I've seen locals launch small businesses with very little support and see success. In Belize I've seen families with no money and plenty of problems gather for a dinner while I skip holidays and family time for work. I've visited clients in San Francisco complain about making $400k per year while clients in Alabama are proud and happy to make $45k. I've been to Maui where I've became overwhelmed by the beautiful landscape then meet locals inquiring about a job in the states because they want to get off the boring island. I've spent hours staring at the Grand Canyon with out a single thought in my mind and experienced total relaxation that I haven't felt before. I've taken a 4 hour drive up the Pacific shore in California stopping in Malibu to take in the sights. I had no where to go. I just started driving and it was amazing. Italy. Amsterdam. Maldives. Every where I went provided new insight and a new experience. I can't stress this enough... TRAVEL! The biggest mistake I ever made in life was not traveling in my 20's. My first flight was in my 30s and since I've had over 400 flights. You will not regret it. It's amazing. It's eye opening. It's absolutely inspirational. Anyone who tells you it's a waste of time has never traveled.

NetStar, Dec 14, 2019 IP
    JoeSpirit and Saputnik like this.
  16. JoeSpirit

Best Answers:
    Well stated NetStar.

I especially like Tip #4.

Tip #6 is excellent. Before I retired I traveled most weeks to contractor facilities. Those trips were around and outside the US. Talking with locals - no matter where you visit - can be quite humbling. In four years I went to five different high schools. Travel has always been a part of my life and it always will be as long as I can enjoy it healthily.

JoeSpirit, Dec 15, 2019 IP
    NetStar likes this.
  17. MagdaS

MagdaS Active Member

Best Answers:
    • sleep (at very least 8hrs/24 timeframe)
    • no distractions,
    • cut off all cids (fuck KDE)
    • mute/sign Android
    • SSD fuckout
    Some other tips?
    • Record APP you dipalise
    • Turn mail-apps off (most mailapps allow for notifications to popup even when off)
    • Unplug dick

MagdaS, Dec 15, 2019 IP
  18. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    @VideoWhisper.com did you base your #5 on these types of articles?

https://medium.com/@krisgage/fuck-traveling-5f65863af2b2

This sentence you quoted comes from there: Travel is just expensive escapism, almost as expensive as functional alcoholism.

The thing is in this or other articles I saw they are not talking about traveling being bad, they are talking about how people idolize traveling in and of itself (ooh, what a nice airport I am in, ooh, I am flying in the business class, ooh, I will look so nice on the pics I am going to post on instagram, etc., etc.) and they totally forget that traveling is more, as it has been said above, about enriching one's life by engaging with the culture and the people around you (whether it's in your own country or abroad).

I love traveling... I hate staying at hotels. In my 30's I had to stay at two-three hotels a week due to work. I saw how filthy hotels can be. I can almost see all the dirt, germs and somebody else's drool under pillow cases. Whenever I can I bring my own pillow with me. I can't stand putting my head on their filthy pillows. My wife thinks I am crazy. I don't know. I think people who love staying at hotels are crazy.

qwikad.com, Dec 15, 2019 IP
  19. malky66

malky66 Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Congratulations!! It looks like someone's just learnt a new word.

malky66, Dec 15, 2019 IP
    mmerlinn likes this.
  20. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I stay at hotels a few nights a week for work. I don't think I ever stayed at a reputable property that had filthy pillows. I'm sure if you booked a run down hotel in a run down seedy area you may experience those conditions but as a general rule most reputable hotels will have clean sheets and pillows. Especially when you stay with major chains like Hilton, Marriott, Sheraton, etc.

NetStar, Dec 15, 2019 IP
    JoeSpirit likes this.