1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Caching problem loading a url with file_get_contents

Discussion in 'PHP' started by spacific, Apr 7, 2007.

Hi,

I am loading another web page (from a different server) using file_get_contents with a url for filename. Works well, but it isn't updating as that web page changes. I assume that the loaded page is being cached somewhere. How can I clear that cache, given that I have no control of the web page I am trying to load (and have no idea at which point the caching is being done!) ?

Thanks.

spacific, Apr 7, 2007 IP
  2. streety

streety Peon

Best Answers:
    PHP does cache some data for file access but it doesn't cache the contents of a file.

You can try clearstatcache() but it really shouldn't work.

That just leaves caching on the other server but if you browse to the site manually and get different content this also seems unlikely. Are you passing variables to the site in either GET or via a cookie? These may cause different versions of a page to be served to a browser.

streety, Apr 7, 2007 IP
  3. nico_swd

nico_swd Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    You can try opening the file by sending a dummy random non-existent variable, like this:

$url = 'http://example.com/file.html?r=' . rand(0, 9999);

PHP:
    But as Streety said, I don't think PHP caches the contents of a file.

nico_swd, Apr 7, 2007 IP
  4. spacific

spacific Peon

Best Answers:
    streety: Yes I already tried clearstatcache() in a vain hope: no good as expected!

nico_swd (and streety): BRILLIANT! It worked. What a nice idea. Many many thanks.

Pascua Feliz!

spacific, Apr 7, 2007 IP
    JEET likes this.
  5. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I think it was more of a browser issue than with php

NetStar, Dec 14, 2019 IP
  6. JEET

JEET Notable Member

Best Answers:
    NetStar
    You really never understand the question, do you? Bouncing a 12 year old "solved" thread... Where is browser used in file_get_contents function call?

JEET, Dec 14, 2019 IP
  7. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    For whatever reason the thread was on the top when I replied. I think perhaps someone elses response was deleted. And of course I understand the question. He stated the web page content was NOT updating. The content is based off from the fetched page that was passed to the browser. Which means the caching "issue" was due to the browser viewing the content and NOT relating to the PHP function that retrieves the data. Genius.

NetStar, Dec 14, 2019 IP