1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Once I Buy an Expired Domain, Then What?

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by Barb Davids, Dec 1, 2019.

Hi all. I'm struggling to find information on what to do with a domain once I purchase it. It seems like buying expired domains is a "thing", but wouldn't you have to then maintain it and grow it just like any other site?

I've heard of people buying multiples. How in the world do they have the time to take care of client work AND maintain all their sites?

Curious.
    Cheers!
    Barb

Barb Davids, Dec 1, 2019 IP
  2. Alvin Brown

Alvin Brown Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Hi Barb!

Yes, buying expired domains is a "thing", and a profitable thing when the right domain is selected. Yes, you do have to manage all the domains you buy in terms of annual renewals. Someone buy domains to flip for a quick profit, while others buy expired domains to develop or simply redirect to your primary website.

For instance, I own RoundRockSEO.com and CedarParkSEO.com, and both redirect to my primary blog with Google analytics parameters appended to redirect link. I use Google Analytics to track how much traffic I receive from each domain name when considering whether or not to renew. If I have substantial traffic for a given domain, then I renew. If I don't, then I may consider developing or selling it. If not either of those, then I may park it for another year to see if it produces a bit of parking income with nominal traffic. If no parking revenue is produced, I don't renew the domain and drop it.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have additional questions. I'd be glad to answer.

Alvin Brown, Dec 4, 2019 IP
  3. Barb Davids

Barb Davids Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks, Alvin. Interesting to me. I imagine the traffic starts to dissipate once Google understands it's being redirected. Thanks for you feedback.

Barb Davids, Dec 4, 2019 IP
  4. kikolani

kikolani Active Member

Best Answers:
    Some people buy expired domains to redirect them to their website, hoping to gain some of the expired domain's search authority from backlinks.

Others buy them because they have teams in place to manage the expired domain's content and communities. Maybe because they have ideas on how the domain can be used to generate revenue or maybe because they just got a good deal on the domain.

kikolani, Dec 4, 2019 IP
  5. Barb Davids

Barb Davids Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks, Kristi! I was listening to a podcast once and there was a joke about how many domains they guy owns. I laughed because I'm thinking, woosh. Lot to keep up with.

Cheers!

Barb Davids, Dec 4, 2019 IP
    kikolani likes this.
  6. bountysite

bountysite Active Member

Best Answers:
    You can assess domain traffic stats before buying. You find sites like alexa.com, which can give such info.
    Domain parking is profitable.

bountysite, Dec 5, 2019 IP
  7. Barb Davids

Barb Davids Member

Best Answers:
    It must be. I frequently run into parked domains with "directories" of sort. They don't look legitimate but I'm thinking well there must be something to it because there are quite a few out there.

Barb Davids, Dec 5, 2019 IP