1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How do I improve communication skills and be good at presentations?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by Elisa Martin, Oct 17, 2019.

1. davilama2682

davilama2682 Active Member

Best Answers:
    If you are giving a presentation you of course want to be familiar with the topic of the content in which you are about to discuss. Informing yourself of the topic is the first key. Secondly, an outline of what you want to say is always useful. I personally do not create outlines of speeches or essays that I compose but, outlines do help others in keeping on topic and following time. Write the presentation you want to give before hand and read it out loud. Dress nice and arrive early. You got it!

davilama2682, Nov 21, 2019 IP
  2. gradiva

gradiva Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    My advice was not to be preoccupied with what other people think during the presentation. One dresses herself/himself at home, not in the presentation room. Be sure you understand well the message before replying.

gradiva, Nov 23, 2019 IP
  3. gradiva

gradiva Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    You can do all these and more and still be anxious when facing the audience. That's the problem.

gradiva, Nov 23, 2019 IP
  4. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    What kind of English is this? It is reminiscent of the way Yoda from Star Wars would speak.:rolleyes:

Spoiltdiva, Nov 23, 2019 IP
    JEET likes this.
  5. gradiva

gradiva Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Get a life.

gradiva, Dec 10, 2019 IP
  6. JEET

JEET Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I have won many speech and debate competitions in my schooling and college days.
    I am not telling this to brag, but to tell you that I know what I am talking about, and am not making just a random comment.

Your worst enemy is stage fright, and its not even a fright, but simply a worry in your own mind.
    What will happen if I forget, what will happen if I get something wrong, etc etc.
    Answer is really simple: "I do not care"
    I do not care if I forget, I will simply take a look at my notes
    I do not care if I get something wrong, I will say sorry and will correct it
    Audience do not care about these things as much as you are worrying about them.

Next thing is your content. If you have to give a 30 minute presentation, prepare the content for an one hour long one, then trim it down later.
    The main idea behind this is to make sure that you know enough about the subject.
    Also try to write down a few questions that pop in your head while preparing the content.
    Try to squeeze in a one-two line answer of those in the content itself.
    The idea is same again, to increase your knowledge about the subject.
    If someone pops a question during/after the presentation, in the Q/A round, then you can will be prepared enough.
    To write that one line answer in the main content, you must have read at least one page description of the same during your research.

Final step is practice.
    Just knowing about something is very different from speaking it out.
    Do a lot of practice, sometimes alone, sometimes before family members, sometimes with friends.
    This will also help you memorize the whole thing.

Then when you will finally get to the real presentation, nothing to fear about, you are well prepared!

Good luck!

JEET, Dec 10, 2019 IP
    JoeSpirit and jrbiz like this.
  7. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Should I choose your life over mine? Based on your laughable posting history, I believe that I will take a pass on that.;)

Spoiltdiva, Dec 11, 2019 IP
  8. innateseo

innateseo Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Practice. This can be live presenting. Consider taking a class or getting a part time tour guide job, or a job where you talk over people on a mic.

They key is to evaluate every performance and assess where you can improve. Pay attention to crowd reactions with certain lines. If they laugh or smile keep it, if they look uncomfortable get rid of it.

innateseo, Dec 13, 2019 IP
    jrbiz and Spoiltdiva like this.
  9. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    OTE="LaneSEO, post: 19648023, member: 935520"]Practice. This can be live presenting. Consider taking a class or getting a part time tour guide job, or a job where you talk over people on a mic.

They key is to evaluate every performance and assess where you can improve. Pay attention to crowd reactions with certain lines. If they laugh or smile keep it, if they look uncomfortable get rid of it.[/QUOTE]

Great point about practice. Here in the U.S., there is a club called Toastmasters and its members regularly give speeches to each other for exactly those purposes. Good training and practice for those that wish to become public speakers.

As I think about public speaking nervousness, I realize that I am lucky, in a way. I started performing in public at age 12 (I was a musician and played for several bands, including one I started.) And, I soon found myself doing the announcing for my band at weddings, anniversaries, and other such celebrations or events. So, from an early age, I was performing and/or speaking to crowds of all sizes. Flash forward and I have been a public speaker for decades on behalf of the various companies I have been involved with. Do not recall ever having issues of nervousness. My guess is that having started so young, I probably did not know enough to be nervous and that has stood me well over the years. :)

jrbiz, Dec 13, 2019 IP
    JoeSpirit and JEET like this.
  10. raj p

raj p Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    take "TOASTMASTER" coaching classes very helpful I heard.

raj p, Dec 21, 2019 IP
  11. VBMaSTeR

VBMaSTeR Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    You can watch presentation video of good presenter and use mirror to improve your skills and encourage yourself.

VBMaSTeR, Dec 22, 2019 IP
  12. Private Loader

Private Loader Active Member

Best Answers:
    The best thing to do with presentation is go all in.

Private Loader, Dec 22, 2019 IP
  13. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    When I first started doing presentations for clients and at work I wasn't comfortable. I didn't become comfortable until I did it over and over and over again. Then the nerves went away. Practice makes perfect. I like the idea of joining a club or toastmasters or any get together where you will have the opportunity to speak in front of people.
    Generally people become nervous when they are not comfortable with their content or delivery. So if you are preparing a presentation make sure you have practiced it over and over in your head and standing talking out loud. If you get nervous in front of people in general try to talk to the people watching your presentation before hand to build common ground, rapport and break the ice.

NetStar, Dec 23, 2019 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  14. JoeSpirit

JoeSpirit Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think it's all in the comfort level. If you get comfortable enough with your presentation that you can deliver it as if you're sitting on a bar stool and talking to your best friend you'll be fine.

As NetStar says: It just takes time and repetition.

JoeSpirit, Dec 26, 2019 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  15. azulita

azulita Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    First of all, you need to know about the topic you are going to present. Understand very well the topic and start to practice in front of a mirror. I know it sounds silly but that can help you a lot. Write some questions that you might get asked and practice. After you practice this method and you feel very confident you can ask a family member or a friend to practice with you.

azulita, Feb 15, 2020 IP