1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Can we build a "digging" network here?

Discussion in 'Social Networks' started by inman, Dec 20, 2006.

Digg.com is an excellent place to market your site. You will get lots of instant hits and if the site somehow makes it to the front page of digg, rest assured your webserver might even go down due to the humungous amount of incoming traffic.

But the problem is you can't actually make it to the front page that easily. I think you need a minimum no.of diggs to get on the front page. Or there could be a more complex algorithm behind that. I am sure most of us are members of digg.com. At one point or other we have tried to promote our site through digg. What if we unite?

I mean suppose one of us post an article at digg and then post the URL here. Will we be ready to digg his post to help him promote his site? Similiarly we can all help each other. And in that way our articles will get a higher no.of diggs than the usual and who knows it might even get featured in the front page.

Is this possible?

inman, Dec 20, 2006 IP
  2. Austars

Austars Active Member

Best Answers:
    No, this sort of thing has happened before and it ended up with a bunch of people here getting banned from digg. You might be too, if your digg name is inman as well. Be careful.

Austars, Dec 20, 2006 IP
  3. inman

inman Peon

Best Answers:
    Hmm. So digg actually monitors such activities. I wonder how this "pay per digg" kind of sites work.

inman, Dec 20, 2006 IP
  4. Austars

Austars Active Member

Best Answers:
    What do you mean pay per digg site? There recently was a bit of an uproar about a site called spikethevote.com being bought and given to digg that was a paid/trade to digg system. As of right now no other sites like this are as large, and probably not as successful.

Austars, Dec 20, 2006 IP
  5. cianuro

cianuro Peon

Best Answers:
    You mean a spam network. The whole point of Digg is social information democracy and promoting content that is of use, not because some little runt set up a "digg network".

How about you just work on your content REALLY hard so that its worthy of being promoted naturally?

cianuro, Dec 20, 2006 IP
  6. maldives

maldives Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Digg does not like DP very much. Lets not talk about them in public. ;)

maldives, Dec 20, 2006 IP
  7. inman

inman Peon

Best Answers:
    It is not that easy. However hard I have tried, I cudn't get diggs any more than 20. But for content very similiar to mine, I have seen 300-500 diggs. I don't think that is possible unless you have a digging network around.

Anyway if it won't workout, let's drop the idea.

inman, Dec 20, 2006 IP
  8. sellingonline

sellingonline Active Member

Best Answers:
    yes, be careful and btw, if your site is not newsworthy, it will not reach the top, but end in the trash... so build a newsworthy site and you're on your way (well, at least you have a better chance then)

sellingonline, Dec 20, 2006 IP
  9. daone

daone Peon

Best Answers:
    daone, Dec 20, 2006 IP
  10. Zerohero

Zerohero Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with you to a point, another spam network is not really needed, and I really love Digg as a regular reader of the site. I don't really want a bunch of crap stories on there either.

However, getting anything above a couple dozen diggs, let alone on the front page, seems nearly impossible by natural methods. I had a story I put on there the other day, I'm not saying it was the most spectacular thing that would have been on Digg that day, but I think it was as good as half the junk that gets up there sometimes.

I got 3 Diggs and 1 comment in the first 5 minutes the story was on the page, and then not even one more Digg after that. I did not use any of the "techniques" that are out there to get Dugg, so I was at the mercy of the site as it was intended, put up a story, people view upcoming stories, your content is good enough, and you get to the front page.

To me, that says you have 5-10 minutes to make it "organically", or you aren't going to make it. I don't think many people are using the "upcoming stories" function or Digg Spy. Maybe I'm wrong, but if Digg worked "organically", I'd have had 10 or more Diggs after an hour.

Like I say, it wasn't the most amazing content in retrospect, but it wasn't bad, and I know I worked pretty hard on it without ANY results(yeah, I'm a little bitter.. haha) It just sucks when your stuff doesn't seem to have a shot compared to the "elite" diggers who know how to game the system and who allready have a network of friends that digg all their stuff.

Zerohero, Dec 20, 2006 IP
  11. Bangkok Baby

Bangkok Baby Peon

Best Answers:
    I heard that there were people with the same idea of yours and formed "digg clubs" to vote for all club members posts on digg. As another webmaster mentioned here, they were all banned.

Posting a great article or a hot news may always get too many diggs. You need post what majority of the diggers love to read. You want to try something? There is a post on DP now about how Internet Explorer 7 sucks. Post that link to digg and try. Diggers love to bash MS. :D

Bangkok Baby, Dec 20, 2006 IP
  12. am21

am21 Peon

Best Answers:
    true :)

Diggers are more in to bashing MS, Zune etc you might get a whole lot of comments too :D

am21, Dec 21, 2006 IP