1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I have a niche product in boating and marine - need marketing suggestion

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by Patyracer, Oct 21, 2019.

Hi everyone.

I am very new to e-commerce.
    We have a niche product in boating. We sell an additive for any boat bottom paint to reduce haul outs which could save thousands of dollars.

I created a shopify store and did some advertising in boating magazines. Tried Facebook ads as well.

Didn't really work. Just sold 2 in 3 weeks.

My question is what else can I do to promote this product? There is no competition so it is all about marketing. But as I said.... I have no idea how to do it.

Maybe your experience might help.

Thank you,
    Patrick

Patyracer, Oct 21, 2019 IP
  2. nshep

nshep Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Find out where your audience hangs out and join them. Forums, social media, Facebook groups. Provide valuable advice and information while promoting your product.

nshep, Oct 21, 2019 IP
  3. Think_Big

Think_Big Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Write and publish unique and helpful articles that would be of interest to your target market , without being overly promotional. Build a subscriber list from your readers that you can then sell to.

Think_Big, Oct 22, 2019 IP
  4. Patyracer

Patyracer Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for your advice guys. I just got kicked from 3 different boating groups on Facebook. They said no advertising att all and I just tried to explain what we have. Admins are not really amused with things like that.

Patyracer, Oct 22, 2019 IP
  5. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Have you tried offline marketing? For example, what about visiting boat sales or boating accessories sales stores in your local area and seeing if they would be interested in selling your product for you? How about seeing if you can put up a small notice at your local marinas? Getting some traction locally could be a big boost to your company.

jrbiz, Oct 22, 2019 IP
  6. Dana C. Beck

Dana C. Beck Active Member

Best Answers:
    Greetings! Marketing online is a vast sea of tools, strategies, technologies, and so on. There are hundreds of ways to market online. But there are a few fundamental principles that you should utilize. Hopefully these will help you get started.
    1. YouTube videos have been really helpful for me. But it's the old analogy of wanting to hang a picture on your wall. So you need a hammer to hammer in the nail. So you go to the store to buy a hammer but keep in mind, you're not really interested in the hammer, you're more interested in getting a nail in the wall to hang your picture! So what's the point here? Focus on the solution in your YouTube video. In this example the focus is on the RESULT not how to get it done. In your business you want to point out the need "how to reduce haul outs which could save thousands of dollars". That's the need. Highlight that and then provide a link for the solution. You don't have to mention the product, just that you have a solution.

2. If you have a sales page, don't send traffic directly to the sales page. Develop a bridge page first. What I mean is record a 30 - 45 second video (not longer than 1 minute though), where you introduce yourself (focus on who you are not your product so much), and share how your desire is to help the viewer with their problem. Highlight the problem and say something like "... if you'd like to know more, then just click on this link..." or something like that. People are much more apt to buy from people then a faceless company or website.

3. Use paid advertising wisely! It is very easy to spend thousands of dollars on advertising and get a very low ROI (Return On Investment). I've used Solo ads sparingly because while companies like UDIMI are great, you have to really do your homework and research on a potential solo ad provider because they're not all good. I would say out of the many solo ad providers that I've used I found maybe 2 or 3 that were worth anything. Facebook advertising, YouTube advertising, Bing, Google, etc. can provide great results, but again, do your research and make sure you know all that's involved before you start spending your hard earned money on paid advertising.

4. Another thing about Facebook. To find potential customers, provide value, value, and more value! That can mean write "how-to" articles, do honest product reviews (I say honest to mean don't slam your competitors products but provide real useful and genuine information on any given product), build relationships! It's called "social media" for a reason (LOL), strive to get to know the people who may end up being a customer. Try to stay away from the old marketing style "buy my stuff, buy my stuff"!
    Well I know this is a little verbose and lengthy but as I mentioned at the top, marketing is not only a science but it is also a skill that anyone can develop. I've been involved with marketing for many years and through success and failure have learned a few things the hard way :( . If you are interested in perhaps learning more about how you can become a rock solid marketer, please check out my signature file or just PM me.

All the best to you!

Dana C. Beck, Oct 22, 2019 IP
  7. Patyracer

Patyracer Peon

Best Answers:
    Wow. Thank you folks. These are really helpful answers.

I tried Facebook and honestly I don't understand Facebook marketing at all. I had an ad running for 7 days $15 a day with audience in USA for interest in boats only. Had some traffic but no sales at all.

I put a video on our side which explains the product in 52 seconds. But most of the people leave after 20 seconds.

I'm thinking about hiring a professional marketing company.

Understanding all these marketing strageties is something that's to high for my little brain. :)

8. Patyracer

Patyracer Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes we are already in touch with lokal marinas because my partner owns a fiberglass boat repair company for almost 40 years. But these guys are afraid of our product. They think they might lose money with reduced haul outs. On the other hand they told us they don't know how to handle all the customers asking for getting the bottom of their boats redone.

9. Patyracer

Patyracer Peon

Best Answers:
    Oh.... btw....

I started a little shopify store with some products to learn advertising on Facebook. I had a product for dogs which people who travel would love ( I have a dog and every time we travel we use it ).

So I started advertising and created an audience for dog lovers, people who like to travel. Excluded people who like shopping on Aliexpress and wish.

A lot of really good comments and likes.... but no purchases at all.

Just wanted to say... I have no idea why other people sell and I don't. It's because I don't know the secret to create the right ad on Facebook I think.

10. Dana C. Beck

Best Answers:
    Well Marketing doesn't have to be that complicated really. But if you want to hire a professional marketing company there are a couple of things you should be aware of. First, the marketing company will be in control for the most part of your brand image. They'll be writing the copy about your business, recording videos on your behalf, etc. etc. You can outsource your marketing but before you do, you should have a scope of understanding how marketing works especially in your case where you have a "brick and mortar" business as opposed to a digital or strictly online business. Having an understanding of marketing will also help you to evaluate more accurately how the marketing company is performing. Secondly, depending upon what services you choose, marketing companies can be pricey. The fact that you have a 52 second video is excellent! You can use that as a bridge page so long as you at least introduce yourself. Please let me know if I can help you in anyway! :D

jrbiz likes this.
  11. Patyracer

Patyracer Peon

Best Answers:
    @Dana C. Beck

I appreciate your help. Thank you so much.

We did the video by ourselfs when we had the chance to visit a boat haul out at local marina. Everybody who got our product
    ( friends, some relatives) are excited and spread the word.

But all that digital marketing is a secret to me.

12. Dana C. Beck

Best Answers:
    Well I can possibly help you if you are interested. Just let me know. Take care.

13. Patyracer

Patyracer Peon

Best Answers:

Sure. I need help.

14. nshep

nshep Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Well, Internet marketing is complex and takes a while to figure out. However, the basis of all of it is that you understand your customer. If you know who you are selling to, you can adjust all your marketing measures to fit their needs and tastes. Creating a few buyer personas can really help with that.

nshep, Oct 23, 2019 IP
  15. Jimmy Crangle

Jimmy Crangle Peon

Best Answers:
    There are so many opportunities and varieties in methods for making money online, and internet marketing and business entrepreneurs are seeing success, again and again, each and every year. By adapting to the changes in the marketplace, internet marketing and business professionals are adapting their methods, as well as what they are marketing and selling.

Jimmy Crangle, Oct 23, 2019 IP
  16. Patyracer

Patyracer Peon

Best Answers:
    You are right. But I still don't understand difference between two shops selling same item and one is making money and the other one isn't.

Patyracer, Oct 23, 2019 IP
  17. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    There are several variables that can affect a business' success. Marketing certainly comes to mind, in this regard. But luck also plays an important role. I am reminded of a quote that I have posted in various threads over the years:

A successful entrepreneur is:

Someone with a Vision who...

Sticks around long enough...

To get lucky!

This does not help to answer your question except to point out that sometimes it is just a matter of luck and you should not, therefore, try to emulate or copy another business' tactics, especially if you test them and do not find them working for you. In fact, testing a wide variety of marketing approaches is the only way that I am aware of to find the best way to make your business successful. No amount of advice can replace actual test results.

jrbiz, Oct 23, 2019 IP
  18. Patyracer

Patyracer Peon

Best Answers:

This was the first honest and serious answer. Because you need luck as well.

19. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    There is the corollary that I have also discovered: the harder I work, the "luckier" I get. ;)

jrbiz, Oct 23, 2019 IP
  20. Patyracer

Patyracer Peon

Best Answers:
    I can't test anymore. I already lost a lot of money and still have no clue how it works.