1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Armchair Dining on DP

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by jrbiz, Mar 13, 2015.

1. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Growing up in Russia that was my understanding too: gourds, pumpkins are pig's food. When I first came to the US a pumpkin pie seemed like a joke to me. If offered I'd eat it, but I'd cover it up completely with Cool Whip. That flavor, how can anyone enjoy it without Cool Whip? Thankfully my wife doesn't like it either so we never have a pumpkin pie at home. But then again, some stuff they eat in Russia... Americans cringe every time they have to eat one of those things, things like "seledka pod shuboy" (YT video). Personally, I love it.

qwikad.com, Sep 30, 2019 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  2. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Last October I was served some pumpkin scones. Honestly I hadn't even heard of them, they weren't bad at all. Thinking of this thread I got my friend to e-mail me her recipe today.
    All purpose flour...3 cups
    Brown sugar........1 cup
    Baking soda.........1/2 tsp.
    Baking powder......2 1/2 tbsp.
    Salt.....................3/4 tsp.
    Ginger.................1/4 cup
    Cinnamon............1/4 cup
    Buttermilk............1/4 cup
    Vanilla extract.......2 tbsp.
    Butter..................1 cup
    Lemon juice..........1/2 tsp.
    Heavy cream.........1/2 cup
    One can of pumpkin puree.

Preheat oven to 375. Put it all into a bowl and mix until a dough forms. Pat into 6" rounds on a baking sheet. Bake until golden brown for 20 minutes. Add glaze and they are ready to eat.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
    Spoiltdiva, Sep 30, 2019 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  3. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Using a canned product for the key ingredient seems odd when you've done everything else normally. I wonder if you can even buy that down here?

sarahk, Sep 30, 2019 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  4. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    We are on the same page on that, but she used puree. I'm presupposing that it was a matter of convenience. Manipulating a heavy pumpkin and gutting it may have been too much of a challenge for her. I'm guessing her body weight at around 100 pounds.

Spoiltdiva, Sep 30, 2019 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  5. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    LOL! Not only do we make pumpkin pie here, but we also make sweet potato pie and squash pie as desserts. I guess, for we Americans, there are not many items that cannot have sugar added to them to be turned into a sweet. Of course, we do eat sweet potatoes and squash as savory vegetables, but the only savory adaptation of pumpkin that I have ever seen is pumpkin soup. Your Irish friend might be horrified to learn that roasted pumpkin seeds are also a treat for us.

One of the issues here is that the typical pumpkin that is used for Halloween is not the right one for making a dessert. You need to find what are called "sugar pumpkins" to have the right taste in the confection. Canned pumpkin is much easier to find and use and is available year round, not just for a month or two in the Fall.

I would definitely try the "Herring Under Fur" dish! It looks pretty good. I have to admit that I have never a dish with fish and beets, but it sounds like it would be different and tasty. The lady in the video had a Christmas tree in the background. Is it a holiday dish?

Have never had a pumpkin scone. Will have to find one or convince the wife to make up a batch. Thanks for this recipe!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2019
    jrbiz, Oct 1, 2019 IP
    qwikad.com and Spoiltdiva like this.
  6. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    Yes!... I now feel vindicated. Only an American would know all about pumpkins as opposed to a Kiwi.;)

Spoiltdiva, Oct 1, 2019 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  7. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I will be honest with you: my experiences have been much better with canned pumpkin creations than when people try to use fresh sugar pumpkins. It could be because most canned pumpkin is not just cooked, but also correctly seasoned/spiced and generally tastes better to me.

jrbiz, Oct 1, 2019 IP
    Spoiltdiva likes this.
  8. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    Let's hear it for canned pumpkin:
    Hip, hip, hooray!

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
    Spoiltdiva, Oct 1, 2019 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  9. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Any holiday, including Christmas, other big occasions like weddings, b-days. It's a good question. Thinking back, I don't think my mom ever made that dish just for fun of it. It was always around a holiday or a b-day.

qwikad.com, Oct 1, 2019 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  10. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Not sure why, but for many years now my taste in pizza has changed quite a bit. If I am having a pizza with a tomato sauce base, I really only prefer it to be plain cheese with no toppings (very minimalist.) But, I really prefer pizzas with a white sauce or even a barbeque sauce over tomato sauce. My absolute preference, these days, is a white pizza with fresh tomato slices:

pizzatomatoes.jpg

The biggest problem that I have is that the pizza joint that makes this pizza is generally frowned on (in favor of other places) by my wife and kids. What that translates to is that I do not get to eat this pizza very often.

Would love to hear/see your favorite pizza configuration!

jrbiz, Oct 19, 2019 IP
  11. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    "When you have a smile, like a big pizza pie that's amore" (Dean Martin). Mamma mia...now you talkin' my lingo...gooda for you!
    Anyway my favorite is chicken/spinach pizza. This wonderment comes with lots of tomato sauce topped with feta cheese. Simple, but oh so sweet.:)

Spoiltdiva, Oct 19, 2019 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  12. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    That sounds great, except I might substitute a white garlic sauce for the tomato sauce. Though, I could definitely eat it with tomato sauce. My favorite pizza with chicken, however, is a barbeque sauce with chicken and onion pizza made by California Pizza Kitchen which is a national restaurant chain (pricey, but worth an occasional visit) and this is what it looks like:

pizzachickenbbq.jpg

So, now I want pizza for breakfast this morning. :)

jrbiz, Oct 19, 2019 IP
    Spoiltdiva likes this.
  13. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    I can relate to the garlic but.....I have to deal with John Q. Public on a daily basis.(tenants, contractors etc.) I cannot afford to be going around with bad garlic breath.

Spoiltdiva, Oct 19, 2019 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  14. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    We make our own pizzas, fresh dough tastes so much better and we all get the toppings we want. A typical Margherita bought from a chain is unlikely to be what it should be and yet it still eclipses the rest of the menu.

sarahk, Oct 20, 2019 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  15. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    So, what is your favorite topping(s)?

jrbiz, Oct 20, 2019 IP
  16. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I'm more than happy with a margherita but pizza is often my WAHM-I-haven't-been-out-today solution and we always have flour, yeast, a divine tomato & cashew pesto in the fridge along with bacon and cheese. The kids prefer a jazzed up tomato sauce that is marketed as "pizza sauce". Over summer when we have "a ham" in the fridge I'll chop that up and add pineapple (it's a thing down here). If I've planned ahead I'll fry up some chicken with spring onions, coriander, garlic, and ginger.

sarahk, Oct 20, 2019 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  17. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Here in New England, we call a ham and pineapple pizza a "Hawaiian Pizza" and it may be my daughter's favorite. My wife and I used to order a pizza with bacon all of the time, but have not in a while. Tomato and cashew pesto sounds interesting, though we have banned cashews from the house because it is possible (not entirely proven) that my son is allergic to them.

Anyway, after all of this discussion, I need to get some pizza! Probably just tomato sauce and double cheese. :)

jrbiz, Oct 20, 2019 IP
  18. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    Not everyone is into pizza, but everyone is into snacks. So why don't we talk about.......SNACKS?
    My two favorite snacks are smoked oysters and vanilla yogurt. I retrieve a can of smoked oysters from the pantry, drain the oil, and put them on a saucer and grab a toothpick...yummee! Or I'll get a 6 ounce glass and fill it with frozen vanilla yogurt and grab a teaspoon....sooooo good!:)

Spoiltdiva, Oct 21, 2019 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  19. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Great idea! I have too many favorite snacks to list all of them here, but chocolate is typically involved. Here is my favorite candy bar:
    threemusketeerssmall.jpg

jrbiz, Oct 21, 2019 IP
  20. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    Even though my place is located at the base of a ski hill I still manage to get a lot of kids at Halloween. You'd presuppose that their parents wouldn't want to drive all the way up the hill to get here, but they do. I've got all my Halloween decorations up...skeletons, witches, scarecrows, ghosts etc. And of course I've gone and bought my favorite chocolates to give out to the trick or treaters. They are namely Reeses Peanut Butter Cups and Cadburys Caramilk Bars.

What inevitably happens is that there are always left overs, and take a wild flying guess as to who gets to eat them the day after Halloween!;)

Spoiltdiva, Oct 21, 2019 IP
    jrbiz likes this.