1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

If I was a mod

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Spoiltdiva, Oct 12, 2019.

Yes I know, awhile back I clearly stated that I would never post a thread in General Chat again. But....have you never been known to change your mind?

Anyway here is a chance to vent your spleen, offer suggestions or just give us a sample of your innovative genius. What would you do here on DP if you were suddenly given the full power of a mod for 24 hours?

As for me there would be a small but significant POOF! as there are 3 members who I strongly feel would be of most benefit to the site, if they were to experience extinction by modhammer........Bang!....SPLAT!...I can just see/hear it now.:D

(The above ^^^ was just me venting a bit.) So...now you are a mod, what would you do?

Spoiltdiva, Oct 12, 2019 IP
  2. mmerlinn

mmerlinn Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Those who never change their minds are simply robots, dangerous to themselves and to society. When one makes a choice, one makes that choice BASED ON THE INFORMATION AVAILABLE AT THAT TIME. If the available information changes, then the natural and expected result is that the choices may also change.

Example. In the U.S. everyone drives on the RIGHT side of the road. Based on that information, one should always drive on the RIGHT side of the road. However, if one moves to the U.K., where everyone drives on the WRONG side of the road it would be STUPID to drive on the RIGHT side of the road while there. Different information requires different choices. In this example, if one did NOT change one's mind, many people could be injured or die.

I would do NOTHING. I was mod on a different site for five years. It was a thankless job most of the time. So, even if I were to become a mod here even for 24 hours, I would do nothing. In fact, I would probably not even visit again until after the modship expired.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
    mmerlinn, Oct 12, 2019 IP
  3. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I am willing to bet that you were a very tough mod. But giving credit where it is due you seem to be technically gifted, so you have that going for you. Mods should have this...I do not. Yet I was a mod on a French language site on weekends and when the regular mod went on vacations, took time off etc. I was babied and coached on plugins and how to etc. and all that stuff. I was always afraid to screw up and therefore was the soul of discretion while moderating.

(off topic) Isn't it a shame that we can't delete posts like the mods can? All we can do is to report and that all falls on what mood the mod is in...frustrating.

Spoiltdiva, Oct 12, 2019 IP
  4. JoeSpirit

JoeSpirit Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I was a mod on a similar forum to DP that is no longer online. (Hopefully, I didn't have anything to do with that.) I'm currently a mod on a FB group.

I do agree that it's a thankless job for the most part but it does tend to grant notoriety, which at times is a good thing.

If I were a mod here I believe I'd lose a lot of time jumping all over people who don't bother to read the comments before posting their own words that have already been said. Petty, maybe, but definitely a pet peeve. I want to learn something - not burn time reading the same stuff repetitiously.

JoeSpirit, Oct 13, 2019 IP
  5. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    You would make a fine mod as diplomacy and tact appear second nature to you. I must agree that members who don't bother to read the thread before posting is irritating. What ends up happening is that we basically get the same answer 3 or 4 times.

However having said that POOF! power would still be the thing I desire the most and having it even temporarily would be awesome.

Spoiltdiva, Oct 13, 2019 IP
  6. malky66

malky66 Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    If I was a mod my banhammer would be worn out by now.

malky66, Oct 13, 2019 IP
  7. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    Instead of Maxwell's silver hammer, (Beatles) we would have Malky's mallet .;)

8. scurvy

scurvy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Poof? Where I come from that has another meaning...

scurvy, Oct 13, 2019 IP
  9. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    O.k. I'll bite.......explain the other meaning. But if it's really gross then don't.:eek:

10. scurvy

scurvy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    In Oz that's what they call a homosexual.

scurvy, Oct 13, 2019 IP
  11. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    In post #5... I wrote that I wanted "Poof power". I happen to have a gay friend, I'll have to tell him about this.... ha*ha!:rolleyes:

12. matt_62

matt_62 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Ive seen some of the stuff mods have to deal with... so if i was a mod for 24 hours, Im taking the day off.

matt_62, Oct 13, 2019 IP
  13. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    They are unsung heroes/heroines.;)

14. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    When people have power they abuse it. This is further proof of it.

dcristo, Oct 13, 2019 IP
  15. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely. But...overall in my particular case I feel the mods are mostly fair. My only complaint would be some of our posts get deleted for the crime of being "Off Topic". Problem is we that have all seen many off topic posts made by mods that stand.

The mods are only human after all and we humans are not infallible.;)

Spoiltdiva, Oct 14, 2019 IP
  16. scurvy

scurvy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Token Gay Buddy?

scurvy, Oct 14, 2019 IP
  17. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    Actually he is a well respected doctor in a town about an hours drive away.

Spoiltdiva, Oct 14, 2019 IP
  18. 99james99

99james99 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Lol very interesting story but please stay human lol

99james99, Oct 16, 2019 IP
  19. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    It is hard to remain human when one possesses God like power. As a mod one has the power of absolute extinction.(banning) Also the power of editing, deletion, warnings etc. How on earth can one think of ones self as a mere mortal with all this awesome power?;)

Spoiltdiva, Oct 16, 2019 IP
  20. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    If I were a Mod, I probably would be fired quickly due to a lack of time to commit to such an endeavor. :)

My hat is always off to Mod's, kids' sports coaches, and all other volunteers who help to make things better for others for no compensation.

jrbiz, Oct 16, 2019 IP
    Spoiltdiva likes this.