1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Wondering if its possible to create a site where visitors can upload img & write text?

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by gurrman, Aug 9, 2019.

Hey there! I’d really appreciate your help here. For context: I am going to create a webpage for a junior basketball team. The main purpose of this page is for the parents and the children of the team to be able to go to the site and see which parents belong to which child. It’s also a way for the parents to become a little familiar with each other. So, there’s going to be pictures of everyone, and lines between children and their parents. I’m also going to have some text (Name and a Fun fact) next to the picture of each parent.

Here’s the question: Best case is if there was a way for the parents themselves to upload their picture and enter their Fun fact. My initial thought was that I can create a free Wix Site, and then send instructions to the parents as to how to log into the site and upload the picture + enter their Fun fact. But it would be nice if there was an easier solution, where they could just go to the site and click “Upload” for the image, and enter some text into a field for their Fun fact. Do you think it’s possible?

A million thank you. :)

gurrman, Aug 9, 2019 IP
  2. webbp0int

webbp0int Peon

Best Answers:
    Heey,
    Nice idea! There surely is a better solution.
    Firstly, you need to find a web hosting provider which supports WordPress. My suggestions - Hostinger (the cheapest one and my favorite) and A2Hosting.
    If you don't have a domain name already - register it. https://www.hostinger.com/domain-checker
    If you already do. This is a tutorial on how to point it to your hosting: https://www.hostinger.com/tutorials/how-to-point-domain-to-hostinger
    Now create a website and use an auto-installer to install WordPress. https://www.hostinger.com/tutorials/how-to-install-wordpress#Option-1-8211-Installing-WordPress-With-Hostinger-Auto-Installer
    Pick a theme and customize your site.
    WordPress itself doesn't provide a way for your site's users to upload files or submit new content. If you have a client, site authors, or other users who need to submit files, you can use a plugin to add this functionality to your site. There are a handful of high-quality plugins that can add a file upload form to your site.
    • WPForms
    • WordPress File Upload
    • FrontEnd Uploader
    • WP User Frontend
    Hope it helps!

webbp0int, Aug 9, 2019 IP
  3. webbp0int

webbp0int Peon

Best Answers:
    https://www.hostinger.com/tutorials/wordpress/how-to-install-wordpress-plugins this is a link on how to install plugins.

webbp0int, Aug 9, 2019 IP
  4. gurrman

gurrman Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you so much webbp0int for the detailed reply.

Two follow up questions:
    - As the users upload their files (i.e. images) I will still have to place the files into the correct positions at the page, manually, right?
    - Do you know if there's a drag and drop design functionality for Wordpress? I have a certain design layout in mind, and know how I can get this done at Wix as it's drag-and-drop, but would love to do it in Wordpress as long as I am able to.

Thank you!

gurrman, Aug 11, 2019 IP
  5. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    1. First up, you need everyone to log in - either using an account they create or a social login (fb, google) or you will have submissions from every spam bot on the internet

2. It's super easy to put text over an image - but I'd recommend that you also keep the original image so that you can edit the "fun fact" just in case what's given isn't PG rated ("lets fucking win this season") or might be inflammatory (eg #MAGA, #BlueWave) - lets leave the parents to find out each other's foibles the old fashioned way.

3. WordPress is a good option but you'd be looking for a plugin that does what you're looking for. Drag and drop is possible but it might take a lot of trial and error to find the right plugin. I can't recommend one. Alternatively, you could go for a simple drop-down system to identify the parents (make sure you allow for at least 4 "parents" per child if you're trying to identify who is on the sideline each week). It'd be easy for a programmer to write depending on how much you want to spend. Probably a bit much for a beginner but someone who has dabbled and was prepared to do the R&D would get there eventually.

4. You also need to be able to have more than one team in the system - Raiders 2018, Raiders 2019, Raiders 2020, Raiders 1 2019, Raiders 2 2019 etc. Having the history of the teams up years later can be nostalgic

5. Consider how public this site is - do you want anyone to be able to access this information? You may want to require a login to view (see #1). We've had kids under protective orders where other parents need to ensure any photos they share online of the game, training etc do not show the child. You wouldn't want to unwittingly out a child or a foster family, even years later.

sarahk, Aug 11, 2019 IP
  6. webbp0int

webbp0int Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't know about the first one for sure. I guess not, you can manage it that way so the files automatically appear where they suppose to.
    I found a link for you about WP drag and drop plugins. https://www.wpbeginner.com/beginners-guide/best-drag-and-drop-page-builders-for-wordpress/
    and here's how to install them: https://www.hostinger.com/tutorials/wordpress/how-to-install-wordpress-plugins I used only Elementor and it was quite nice.

webbp0int, Aug 12, 2019 IP
  7. ResellBox.Net

ResellBox.Net Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Yes, it is possible you need to take word press hosting package to get started with photography hosting site. In Wordpress hosting there are options were you can go on hosting the websites

ResellBox.Net, Sep 21, 2019 IP
  8. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Nothing the original poster said suggested he needed to use a blogging platform or a blogging platform as a CMS.

You guys are over engineering this for him. He needs to make a web site with pictures and text. He should use WIX and simply send out an email asking for pictures and information from the team. Then continue to build the pages with the content. This is the EASIEST way. Instructing him to start playing with servers, code, and programming is over complicating and over engineering a very small project. He would pull his hair out before he even had something functioning.

NetStar, Sep 28, 2019 IP
  9. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Original Poster: I am a complete newbie. I have a simple web site I would like to make as quickly as possible. The web site will show pictures and information on a child's basketball team. I want to use WIX but what's the easiest way to accomplish this?

Digital Point: Awesome. Register the domain and point the DNS at the UNIX Cloud server. Make sure you install and configure Nginx, mySQL, and PHP on the server. Next download WordPress. FTP in to your server to upload Wordpress. Use UNIX commands to extract. Now fire up WordPress and download a Theme of your choice. Download Plugins that give you ability to have a user interactive community. Now open up your Theme in sublime and customize the CSS and JavaScript until it meets your needs. Then open up your PHP scripts for the user interactive library and alter the programming so it allows a user to join via invite and contribute to your web site. Boom. Done.

Real Answer: Use WIX like you were going to. Tell the team members to send you their photos and information for the web site you are creating via WIX.

NetStar, Sep 28, 2019 IP
    ketting00 likes this.
  10. ketting00

ketting00 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This reminded me of a journey of my career. I began with a Blogger user then moved to Wordpress and then built my own web sites without using frameworks and even created a node.js library of my own. Now, I'm going to move away from PHP.

ketting00, Sep 28, 2019 IP
  11. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Why would you move away from PHP?

qwikad.com, Oct 1, 2019 IP
  12. ketting00

Best Answers:
    The whole world is moving toward this bandwagon and PHP has its limitations. You can see that PHP is on a decline. Node.js or Python can do pretty much any things that PHP can.

In my case, I use node.js and I write web site in one language on both back and front ends. So you don't have to pass variables back and forth between the two languages.

Personally I love javascript and I stick with node.js since it came out. There are pretty much possibilities left to be explored about node.js. Only it's scarcely documented. This makes me eager to learn once again. Plus, you can extend your knowledge on javascript to IoT projects too.

ketting00, Oct 1, 2019 IP
  13. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Do you have something to fall back on if a browser's javascript is disabled? By some estimates 78%+ websites are using php as their primary language and if anything that number will continue to grow (since the amount of websites continues to grow as well).

qwikad.com, Oct 2, 2019 IP
  14. ketting00

Best Answers:
    I render the pages in plain HTML. It should work just fine, except for the fancy scripts I put at the front end. Node.js is running at the server. In a nutshell, it's sort of PHP + Apache or Nginx. You write page as index.html. Node.js just serves data packages corresponding to the request.

Plus, you can do HTTP server push to update the pages automatically while PHP is just sitting there waiting for a call.

It real easy and fun to develop web sites base on node.js. The best part of all is exploring the possibilities that are undiscovered.

Edit: wordpress tries to do something like this too: https://developer.wordpress.com/2015/11/23/the-story-behind-the-new-wordpress-com/

I don't know how far they go.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
    ketting00, Oct 2, 2019 IP
  15. guru16

guru16 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    sounds like you want a forum https://deliciousthemes.com/wordpress-community-plugins/ community plugin
    https://mybb.com/ free

of course you have vbulletin with this forums uses

https://www.vbulletin.org/forum/portal.php

this way you can have admin approve pics block bots etc

I can understand why you wouldn't want to be posting all the images yourself and want to create a community 12 hours a day uploading and approve pics isn't fun . I see your main problem will be hosting I have no idea the size of your teams etc, I see a few shared hosting suggestions honestly you are going to need more then a budget host if you are getting team pics maybe some videos etc. sounds like a big job and I would be fund raising to get a decent site from a good preferably local developer :)
    (some may offer discounted to help the team) I see wix mentioned might be ok to cut your teeth on however it certainly isn't going to be free with the basic starting at$10 a month and the one I would suggest at $27 a month $324 for your first year. I use word press every day and I am unaware if you can easily transfer files etc from wix to your own host in the future.

guru16, Oct 2, 2019 IP