1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Should I still use jQuery with HTML5 in 2019?

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by Gary-SC, May 31, 2019.

1. stargazer_100

stargazer_100 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    As I said, web development is no longer about a passion or self-satisfaction for what is produced by those who have infiltrated the industry without the necessary skills or background. It's become the domain of financial gain and management, the only objective is to push out ever more poor solutions onto unsuspecting clients, dragging web-development further into the gutter, along with them. Everyone who is sensible can see that BUT its indefensible to defend what is primarily second best workflows and solutions purely in pursuit of financial gain, in my opinion. I guess it's easy for me as I no longer need to make money (not that it was ever a driving factor for me), so to a certain extent I do see it from the point of view of those desperate to do so. However I have high morals and would never prositute my skills just for money, in any profession. Once it gets to that stage your better off out than in.

stargazer_100, Oct 1, 2019 IP
    mmerlinn likes this.
  2. Gary-SC

Gary-SC Member

Best Answers:
    I have been seeing this exact scenario all the time at my intern job. It's shocking.

Gary-SC, Oct 3, 2019 IP
  3. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    This is silly.
    A developer/designer can be (and should be) passionate about their work. You can be passionate without the need of wasting time and money. Companies that hire YOU to develop and design for them expect you to be as resourceful with their time as possible. If there's a Library out there that can save time and provide and a structure of standards for the next person to add to then that most likely will be preferred. No company out there wants to hire you for 6 months of development when the same result can be made in 1 month just because you feel "passionate". Lol or whatever you think that means.... Web Development has ALWAYS been about financial gain when you are doing it for companies. If you want to do it for non financial gain then go make a personal photo album for grandma.

NetStar, Oct 6, 2019 IP
  4. stargazer_100

stargazer_100 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    There's passion and there's passion. Would you suggest a 'robot' machine operator, who produces flat-pack furniture out of balsa wood to be on the same level as a craftsman who produces bespoke furniture out of solid oak. Just because there is a less expensive, less time consuming method doesn't make it good or correct, does it? It just makes the world we live in today unappreciative of craftmanship, skill and talent. Do I blame those that take the less expensive, less time consuming route, no not really, it's unstoppable given the restriction and pressure they are under to make a living and profit for their pay masters. In my opinion there is little job satisfaction to be gained in using a 'coloring by numbers' approach, not hugely skillful, but if the reason is out of desperation to put bread on the table then you have to acknowledge that. I do not agree that using these techniques necessarily saves time, it purely depends on how experienced you are when it comes to coding. In the case of Bootstrap for instance, you're continuously reverse engineering all the css utility classes to get them to output to your your own presentation requirements. A backwards approach in my opinion because not only does it create more code it takes as long as if you write it yourself. Not to mention the spaghetti mark-up and class names splattered around your html, very ugly, problematical to maintain and mostly very unnecessary. Of course I totaly agree that these 'undesirable' workflows are best suited to team work environments where the lesser of two concerns are a consideration, that may well be quantity over quality to maximise profitability. It's the denial by users of these workflows, that beyond the ability to make money, they are inferior techniques, that is of a concern to me.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
    stargazer_100, Oct 6, 2019 IP