1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

CloudFlare DDOS Protection

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by BTBAM1, Sep 26, 2019.

I have gone to many websites that use the CLoudFlare DDOS protection.

I am setting up a website at the moment and a primary source of traffic will be an email that will be sent at the same time each week with the hope that people will get used to getting it and come to the website when they get this email.

This will result in a spike in traffic. While I don't know much about web design / hosting yet I believe this spike in traffic may be enough to make my website 'go down' unless I purchase a very expensive and quite possibly unnecessary hosting plan.

I was looking into CloudFlare as from what I understand this would help with this issue as well as protecting my website if anyone decides to launch a DDOS attack which I believe is quite easy to do and common enough however again this may be overkill for my needs and the delay in people accessing my website may do more harm than good.

Basically I am worried that at various times when I spend a good bit of money on advertising that it will also result in a spike in traffic and when the people come to the website it is down and they don't come back which would be a disaster.

What would be your advise on how to proceed? Thanks.

BTBAM1, Sep 26, 2019 IP
  2. GlowHost-Sales

GlowHost-Sales Member

Best Answers:
    If you have doubts regarding CloudFare as your DDoS solution, so then I think that would be a good idea to try out something else.
    Like DDos proxy or maybe higher level of DDos protection.
    There are a lot of flexible plans for ddos protection which from the one hand will allow you to handle your spikes and from the other hand will give you real protection.
    Having that said I have to admit that might have some budget spendings of course.

GlowHost-Sales, Sep 26, 2019 IP
  3. BTBAM1

BTBAM1 Peon

Best Answers:
    Possibly I should mention that I will start off with shared hosting with Hostgator if that will impact the advice.

BTBAM1, Sep 26, 2019 IP
  4. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I would suggest that first, your needs do NOT line up with "shared hosting" in terms of load, potential, or cost. You could likely skip most of the nonsense like cloudflare if you just went with a VPS or dedicated server with sufficient power for your needs. Many places offer unmetered VPS plans for around $10/mo.

I mean, the host I'm using -- Afterburst -- gives me gigabit unmetered 2gb of RAM, 2 cores, 60gb of SSD, for $10/mo. (actually I've been grandfathered in at $7.50/mo with 120gb of storage). Double that price and you get another core, double the RAM, and 140gb of storage. That blows any "shared" hosting specs you'll find clear out of the water -- hell my cheap-ass plan is more powerful than the dedicated server I hosted a forums with traffic and post counts comparable to digitalPoint on!

Generally such plans are not "managed" though. They install a flat copy of Linux, hand you a SSH login, and say "good luck". ANYTHING you want installed -- web server, FTP server, control panels -- are ENTIRELY left in your hands to install and configure.

But such configurations tend to be faster, more able to handle traffic levels, and easier to customize to your needs than shared hosting.

Hence my advice would be to learn to administer a server and get a "cheap" but powerful VPS before you start diving for expensive third party services.

deathshadow, Sep 26, 2019 IP
  5. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I don't know who you are or your celebrity appeal but I'd suggest that any spike in traffic you get from an email you sent will be satisfying rather than a problem.

sarahk, Sep 26, 2019 IP
  6. BTBAM1

BTBAM1 Peon

Best Answers:
    I have so many things I need to do before I get time to be able to learn to administer a server but I appreciate your advice and it is something I will look into as soon as I can but I would need another solution in the medium term.

How can I understand what level of traffic a hosting plan can accommodate so I get something sufficient but not overkill and something that is easily scalable would be great?:)

BTBAM1, Sep 26, 2019 IP